Author Topic: Sobering story about retirement  (Read 7070 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Sobering story about retirement
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »
Hey man you dont want to be Bob, working at Wal-Mart. Let Uncle Sam help you out and keep your nest egg from vanishing. And if you dont, we're gonna tax the everloving *expletive deleted*it out of your 401k...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 09:03:17 AM »
I know people say "never happen" but to me its a very real possibility especially since some of the dems have let it slip a time or two

Let it slip?  Pelosi was screaming it from the rooftops a few years ago.  She was even talking about making it retroactive.  Meaning if you cashed out your 401k or IRA to avoid it being taken over that you would OWE the gov't that money back.  I watched her say it. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
I think the test run will be if Americans will allow a "bail in" to happen.  Some big bank fails, and the solution that the politicians come up with is to have the largest depositors lose their deposits.  Under the 250k FDIC limit.  Maybe to 100k.

After a few scattered bail-ins, we'll see the same thing happen with the investment firms.  Morgan Stanley, Edward Jones, etc.  They'll be raiding the 401k's they manage in bankruptcy proceedings with impunity, after doing a stellar job of hiding the impending bankruptcy from their investment base so that the small-fish investors don't pull up stakes.

Anything to protect NYC and Wall Street in particular.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
And there will be no rioting or political assassinations, because the money is all essentially digitized and once seized, no amount of violence will replace it.

If people thought of money confiscated as years/decades of their work/life stolen by .gov, I think they would be very sympathetic to rooftop voting. It doesn't bring the money back but it brings the satisfaction of extracting pounds of flesh.
More likely it will be inflated away.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »
More likely it will be inflated away.

They've already stolen 90% of our wealth in the last 40 years  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin