Author Topic: Challenge "Common Core", Get Arrested  (Read 7622 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Challenge "Common Core", Get Arrested
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »
You're arguing letter of the law in a spirit of the law thread. Fail.

You're arguing that our masters should be our equals. Fail.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Levant

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
Yep.  Protesting generally goes like a rant.  It's constitutionally protected.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Challenge "Common Core", Get Arrested
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 04:01:08 AM »
Yep.  Protesting generally goes like a rant.  It's constitutionally protected.

I am surprised it took so long for that to come up.
Bet if you try you can figure out why thus guy can't whine 1st amendment.

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 05:59:31 AM »
It's one of these threads again.

No, I don't think this person was truly removed and treated this way for violating the rules of meeting, I believe it was because the content of his speech offended the pepole running the meeting.

But that said, I do believe that not following the rules of the meeting opened him to this sort of treatment. It is one of these Internet things where a guy breaks some kind of procedural rule, gets PWNed entirely within the letter of the law for it, and then people ignore the letter of the law utterly to defend it.

That said, actually prosecuting this man would have been a fail. Which is why they dropped charges. The system worked.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Challenge "Common Core", Get Arrested
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 07:16:52 AM »

No, I don't think this person was truly removed and treated this way for violating the rules of meeting, I believe it was because the content of his speech offended the pepole running the meeting.

But that said, I do believe that not following the rules of the meeting opened him to this sort of treatment. It is one of these Internet things where a guy breaks some kind of procedural rule, gets PWNed entirely within the letter of the law for it, and then people ignore the letter of the law utterly to defend it.

That said, actually prosecuting this man would have been a fail. Which is why they dropped charges. The system worked.
Hopefully at some point he gets his answers

Though i get the feeling he really didn't have an answerable question . Just wanted a soapbox.
Don't get me wrong hes not a bad guy
And he might have some good points.
He just failed at getting them out

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »

Your post seems to take all sides in this issue (the removal, not common core).  Is there any side you prefer over the others?
NEOKShooter on GRM

Levant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 09:57:44 PM »
Hopefully at some point he gets his answers

Though i get the feeling he really didn't have an answerable question . Just wanted a soapbox.
Don't get me wrong hes not a bad guy
And he might have some good points.
He just failed at getting them out

damn phone

That he did.  It was about as effective in changing common core as Cruz's speech on the Senate floor.
NEOKShooter on GRM

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 08:13:45 AM »
That he did.  It was about as effective in changing common core as Cruz's speech on the Senate floor.

It's far easier to go through the motions of being a rebel than actually be an effective one.

But very emotionally comforting for many people.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »
Crimes are divided into elements.  Some elements are mens rea (guilty mind) or intentional acts, others are status.  Assault on a police officer, train conductor, bus driver, ect, have that second part purely as status.  The intention is to make the prosecutor's/government's job easier and reduce crime by adding uncertainty of additional punishment.  While the ability is there, many prosecution offices do express discretion on what charges they chose.  If nothing else, many know certain juries would refuse to uphold the charges... just as many known certain juries will almost always uphold the charges.  Likewise, Grand Juries for the process is the punishment crowd. 

I am against the intermingling of police authority with private security.  If nothing else, that lanyard with the badge could have been outside the shirt the whole time.  The 'out when I need it, otherwise no one needs to know' is creepy.  Assertions of full force of the government authority should only be secret in the rare or never instance; keeping the lines orderly at the PTA meeting is not one of them.  I am also against status crimes; put the burden of that element on the defendant and call it a day. 

I am with the aura of dissent suppression crowd.  He was interrupted multiple times, which made his question that much more scattered,  but clearly expressed 'Won't the common core destroy the stand out reputation of the school?' ...  Next Question!

The board could have said 'most likely, but without the gov funding attached to it we can't afford to stay in operation.' Infantalizing the voters from  hard truths is... well, how we get democrats  >:D 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

• friends
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 11:41:31 AM »
why do you suppose this mans question deserved to be given higher status than all the other folks? one of the reasons they do that format is to keep things moving. otherwise 100 folks get to listen to some nimrod rant. they/i have busy lives don't care to listen to someone with issues. i don't care how many Gadsden flags he has on his bumper stickers. he reminded me of the guy at back to school nite.  teacher finally told him to shut up or get out. and the applause as he left was not supporting him.  i'd like to know if he bothered to submit his question or if he just wanted a soapbox.  the folks at that forum stayed late fielding questions from the crowd.
hes far from the worst i've seen but i'd have been glad to see him go if i was there.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »
Crimes are divided into elements.  Some elements are mens rea (guilty mind) or intentional acts, others are status.  Assault on a police officer, train conductor, bus driver, ect, have that second part purely as status.  The intention is to make the prosecutor's/government's job easier and reduce crime by adding uncertainty of additional punishment.  While the ability is there, many prosecution offices do express discretion on what charges they chose.  If nothing else, many know certain juries would refuse to uphold the charges... just as many known certain juries will almost always uphold the charges.  Likewise, Grand Juries for the process is the punishment crowd. 

I am against the intermingling of police authority with private security.  If nothing else, that lanyard with the badge could have been outside the shirt the whole time.  The 'out when I need it, otherwise no one needs to know' is creepy.  Assertions of full force of the government authority should only be secret in the rare or never instance; keeping the lines orderly at the PTA meeting is not one of them.  I am also against status crimes; put the burden of that element on the defendant and call it a day. 

Thank you Ned for addressing my main concern from the OP!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."