Poll

Are semiauto pistols commonly referred to as automatics?

Of course.
22 (33.3%)
No.
10 (15.2%)
Only in noir/hard-boiled stories.
9 (13.6%)
Only by old dudes.
19 (28.8%)
I call them auto-chuckers.
4 (6.1%)
I call them bottom-feeders.
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Automatics  (Read 7587 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Automatics
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »
Well, so am I - but I aint there yet.

I've never heard the equivalent of "Because you suck.  And we hate you" or seen the equvalent of homeboy sights applied to a wheelgun.  And that tap/rack/bang stuff?  Just give the trigger another pull and there you are.  And while a cylinder-full and two moon clips may just add up to what you have stuffed in the handle, I'm not planning on fighting the Battle of Faluja all by myself and wonder why you are.  (If I am expecting to run into a riot, I'm bringing all my guns, and all my friends with all their guns.  But mostly if there is a chance of a riot I'll be going away instead to towards that area - something about not doing stupid things with stupid people in stupid places.)

None of this means I do not like bottom-feeders.  Heck, I even own a few myself. :angel:

stay safe.

Except when a revolver DOES jam, it often means a trip to a gunsmith instead of a tap and rack.  =D

18 or so rounds of 9mm is handy at the range, or if attacked by multiple debarked Chihuahuas aggressors. Na, seriously, I prefer higher number of rounds because of the concern of a high number of attackers. It's not extremely rare for attackers to go in packs rather than solo. You might be the best gunman in the world, but that doesn't magically put 7 rounds in a six cylinder wheel gun. Reliability is about equal these days.

Not trashing wheelguns. They're much better platform for larger caliber rounds. For small caliber, I prefer the higher volume of rounds. I'm pondering a revolver for larger animals when I'm out hiking.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
"Semi" (or worse "simi") for an autoloading handgun is doubly so.  It tells me I'm in the presence of someone both an idiot, and a poseur.

What if they're a truck driver?

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
What about a double action semi-revolving automatic  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
What about a double action semi-revolving automatic  ???

Want!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »

=D

Kind-a my point.  "Semi" what?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »

In that case, "automatic" probably refers to a type of transmission.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
I terms I generally use are:

Semi auto/pistol
Revolver
Full auto/select fire (as applicable)

I almost never use "automatic" as a stand alone discriptor, and only in referance to fully automatic weapons.

And I will specify it as a semi auto shotgun, too. And the cutsy term for shotguns is "scatter guns". If you call one a "shotty" in my presence, I might hit you.

I never use the term "automatic" to discribe a semi auto pistol and my Dad doesn't either (he's 61, so there's a number for your old fart scale)

Most my conversations are with Dad and we have the same vernacular and w generally are discussing the types of firearms for which such specifics is nessasry.

The other conversations are with none gunnies, so I tend to stress the diffrence between semi auto and automatic.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »
I never use the term "automatic" to discribe a semi auto pistol and my Dad doesn't either (he's 61, so there's a number for your old fart scale)

:sniff: Young whippersnapper :snort:

Have him call me when he grows up (if I live that long)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
  Never heard anybody say "simi"

Seen it in gunfora.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
Learned something here - I had no idea it was an old-timer thing and for a reason.

For years it's driven me nuts to see an author use auto or automatic in reference to a semi-auto pistol - as in they didn't do their research.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
Our worshing machine is only semi-automatic because you still have to put the clothes in and take them out yourself  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
Considering the official term used on their invention was "automatic loading firearm", I prefer the term "autoloader". "Semi-auto" just never sounded right.

Besides, calling them "bottom-feeders" kinda puts STEN's and Sterlings in an awkward place....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sm

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
Well, not that I  am that old...<opens gate for arguments>.

Handgun, was "generic" and when was being more "specific" the term revolver or semi-automatic was used.
Even though there was the .45 ACP  (1911) or similar offerings, folks back then knew, the darn gun would not fire unless a finger was on the trigger and tripped it. Yes, even the <yikes> media knew the differences, and there were in fact firearms, that were "automatic" meaning they fired a burst with one trigger pull.

Then again back in my day Coke meant a Coca-Cola[tm].
Oh and these were 6.5 ozs and only cost a nickel...

Today...well I ain't ever had time for stupid people, especially those whom do harm to the USA that I was born and raised in...

I am just going to refer to everything as evil assault, Glocks, AK-47...etc. I don't care if is a Daisy BB Gun, Honda Civic, or Orek vacuum cleaner.

Can't think of a faster way to get stupid folks (anti's)  to run away like little girls, hands in the air, screaming.

Getting old has its perks...*grin*

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
Our worshing machine is only semi-automatic because you still have to put the clothes in and take them out yourself  :lol:

I figgered you just worshed yer clothes down at da crik!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »
I figgered you just worshed yer clothes down at da crik!

No, ya idjit.  That's wimmin's work.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 10:39:51 PM »

Then when would they find the time to make sammiches?.....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »
Then when would they find the time to make sammiches?.....

They got all kinds o' time, bein' at home whilst we men are out working. They can shut off the soaps long enough to make sammitches.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »

My bad! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »
Y'all are skating on thin ice.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 08:18:49 PM »

Agree with MrsSmith completely.  A good woman can make a sammich while watching her "stories" and still make pretty designs in the mustard, all while ironing your boxers with the other hand.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
Agree with MrsSmith completely.  A good woman can make a sammich while watching her "stories" and still make pretty designs in the mustard, all while ironing your boxers with the other hand.

stay safe.

I laughed.

That's not funny.

:lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »

stay safe.

I laughed.

That's not funny.

:lol:

I laughed too. He's right, we can do all those things and more. But do we choose to do them for someone else or just for ourselves ...

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »
<thread_drift>

yes dear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTKu-L1b--o
</thread_drift>

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
I laughed too. He's right, we can do all those things and more. But do we choose to do them for someone else or just for ourselves ...

Speak for yourself.

If it was me, a guy would end up with mustard stains on his boxers. :P