Author Topic: A good candidate for remedial driving lessons  (Read 6208 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
A good candidate for remedial driving lessons
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »
I went to the supermarket today. I parked my car on the very far end of the lot, away from all the other cars.

On the way out of the store and back to my car, I noticed a woman in a car in one of the parking spaces. She was beginning to back up. She didn't notice me, and something told me to stay clear of her, so I did.

She was backing out of a parking space that had three empty spaces to the right of it, then a 30' wide driving lane. She backed out partway, and attempted to turn right. Didn't back out far enough or turn enough. She was up against a car in the opposing parking spot.

She attempted to back up a bit so she could cut further to the right, but she backed up straight. Now she had what was the parked car to her left just a few feet behind her rear bumper. And there was that row of cars in the opposing parking spots.

She cut it to the right again, but not enough, and was up against one of the opposing cars. She then backed up, but again she didn't keep the wheel turned, but instead straightened it out. She was now wedged between the car that had been to her left, and one of the cars in the opposing parking spaces.

When she started, she had about 50 to 60 feet of parking lot to her right, and 30 to 40 feet behind her. Somehow she managed to screw that up and get stuck between two cars.

It's a shame to think that, whenever someone got her out of that jam, she got out on the open roads.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: A good candidate for remedial driving lessons
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:11:11 AM »
[Whiny]But, backing up is hard! [/whiny]
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »
I just made a comment on another board that drivers seem to be getting worse and worse.
Distraction is a big part of it, but driving skills in general have really deteriorated lately. 
Around here, we have a tone of Somalis (and other Africans) and East Indians now, who are driving for the first time in their lives. I can spot them a mile away and get by them as quickly as I can.  You can almost feel their brains grinding as they try to stay in their own lane. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »
Around here, we have a tone of Somalis (and other Africans) and East Indians now, who are driving for the first time in their lives. I can spot them a mile away and get by them as quickly as I can.  You can almost feel their brains grinding as they try to stay in their own lane. 

In town here we had a Catholic run residential school for retarded kids.  That closed up a decade or so ago.  Since then it's been occupied by a convent of nuns from Nigeria.  A buddy of mine does maintenance for them.  He's taught some to drive, and he has tales. 

And speaking of driving tales...

A couple weeks ago my daughter came home from her sav-a-lot gig with another rant.  Some woman had pulled up in front of the dollar store (next door), left her car running and went inside.  She left her car in gear.  Driverless, this thing drifted across the parking lot, through the entrance of the parking lot, until it ran up against a curb across the street.  The driver, of course, was ranting and casting aspersions when she came out looking for it.

I guess it's a good thing breathing is automatic.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »
Wonder if it was this woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKFaBvW6oc

I wonder if the woman in that video had enough native intelligence to be just a little embarrassed after seeing the lot kid make it look so easy after all her fruitless maneuvering ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
That had to be the same woman. I mean, how many can there be?

Strike that.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »
Well, now, see, you don't understand.

Backing up is one operation.

Turning the wheel to the right is another operation

Turning the wheel to the left is still another operation

And going forward is yet a fourth operation.

Doing more than one of those at a time is akin to the old meme about not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Why can't you understand that?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
Wonder if it was my Evil Grandmother you saw Dick. When she isnt riding her broom she is in a 99 Pontiac minivan. That woman is *expletive deleted*ing scary behind the wheel.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »
I once saw somebody flounder around in a parallel parking spot for minute or two.  I had to leave, but nothing in her actions gave away whether she was trying to park or drive away.  It just looked like she was lost and was exploring the parking space by crawling the car around in it.

But the ones that really get me are the drivers that STOP on a busy highway to prepare themselves for the demanding task of pulling in to a gas station.  The tanker trucks that pull in have no problem, but they act as if they are trying to park an aircraft carrier in a compact car spot.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
But the ones that really get me are the drivers that STOP on a busy highway to prepare themselves for the demanding task of pulling in to a gas station.  The tanker trucks that pull in have no problem, but they act as if they are trying to park an aircraft carrier in a compact car spot.

Probably trying to remember which side the gas fill is on  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
Probably trying to remember which side the gas fill is on  =D

Idjits.

It's always on the side opposite that facing the pump. Everyone knows that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 05:25:54 PM »
I'll be honest, I can't parallel park worth a *expletive deleted*it (grew up in a town with very few PP spots so essentially no practice at it since the driver test). So I avoid the *expletive deleted*ck out of PP spots.

Dad used to give me *expletive deleted*it about not being able to PP ("back when I was your age I could parallel park a tour bus"). Well last time he parallel parked he dinged a nice expensive BMW...so now I get to give it right back... :laugh:

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »
Foibly Terry...

On our breaks, we used to sit on one of the benches around the building and watch as occasionally someone would have great difficulty parallel parking on the street right there by the benches.  Great fun ridiculing their feeble attempts, me usually being the loudest.

Well, as Fate and Cosmic Justice would have it, one day I had to cart some stuff into the building, and good luck for me, one of those parking spaces was open.

Bad luck for me, my compatriots were sitting right there.

I never had trouble with parallel parking before, but since my peers were watching, I kept screwing it up, backing and forthing three or four times before I got it halfway right, and it was still a crappy parking job... not parallel, too far from the curb....

I withstood their japes and jibes and attacks on my parking technique and unloaded the car.

But until the day I retired, I never lived that one down, and still heard smart remarks about it at my retirement party.

So when you ridicule someone for their parking technique or whatever, remember that Fate and the Cosmos may be watching. waiting....

Terry, 230RN

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »
Good point.  I've had a telephone pole sneak up behind me in a parking lot so my record isn't spotless.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »
I've only had two accidents in my life that were my fault. In 1968 I bumped a guy's car at a stoplight because I was leaning out the window yelling to some girls. I just busted his tail light lens.

The other was when I was working for the Milwaukee Journal, repairing vending boxes. I was backing up the company-issue Chevy Suburban and hit a telephone pole. That wouldn't have been anything noteworthy, but the impact caused the battery to fall over. It landed on the inner fender, with both posts touching. They welded themselves to the fender, and I had to call a Journal mechanic to come out and bring a new battery. Didn't hear the end of that one.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »
Don't feel bad, Dallas. I can't PP worth a damn, either.

If their isn't a spot on the end that I can just pop into with no chance of getting sandwiched in, then I don't park there.

I've got one speeding ticket, one ticket for dead tags and one wreak (and I was 16 for that one) too my name.

I also rear ended a truck once, which left no damage on the truck and just dinged my hood up a bit, so that was not reported.

Well, and I ran over a womans foot backing out of a spot at the grocery store. However, since I still can't quite figure out how she got her foot under my tire without getting dinged by the rear bumper first, I remain highly skeptical that it was my fault.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »

Worst one I ever saw. Male in an SUV. He suddenly realizes his exit is coming up, and he's in the left of a two lane highway. HE STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY. Cars had to dodge around both sides as he's angled across both lanes trying to get to the exit. I was shocked it wasn't a pile up. EVERYONE was standing on their horns.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
I remember once when I was driving my sisters POS Plymouth Horizon (with non-functioning horn!) and I was in the right lane in town, coming up to a stoplight (which was green at the time) - This was a 3-way T-shaped stop, with the 4th side (on my right) an entrance to a parking lot for Save Mart.
Well, this IDIOT in a SUV suddenly decides she needs to be in my lane, to make the right turn, at literally the last second....

Folks, if I would have had an anchor & chain attached to the car, I would have thrown it out as WELL as standing on the brakes.  I did everything but flap my arms to stop that damned car.  Missed her by about 2 inches or so.

Remember the part where I said I didn't have a horn? Didn't need one.  I um, explained my displeasure rather loudly and may have cast aspersions as to her lineage.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
Worst one I ever saw. Male in an SUV. He suddenly realizes his exit is coming up, and he's in the left of a two lane highway. HE STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY. Cars had to dodge around both sides as he's angled across both lanes trying to get to the exit. I was shocked it wasn't a pile up. EVERYONE was standing on their horns.

I watched a young, dumb male (YDM) get pulled over by the police on I-95 a few months ago. YDM was going 80+ when the cop tagged him on radar.  YDM is still cruising in the left lane of a three-lane highway.   Cop comes hauling butt up behind YDM, and hits the lights.  YDM sees the lights, hits the brakes and pulls over. To the LEFT. Two wheels in the GRASS. Still doing about 60 and starting to wobble. Cop, being a well-seasoned state trooper says, "F this!" and bales out to the right and comes to a slow roll on the right shoulder. I was in the middle lane waiting for the YDM to lose control. He didn't.  Last I saw in my rear view mirror was the YDM finally making his way onto the right shoulder.  I wish I was there to hear the ass-chewing that guy got.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
I just made a comment on another board that drivers seem to be getting worse and worse.
Distraction is a big part of it, but driving skills in general have really deteriorated lately.

Couldn't agree more.  It seems like people behind the wheel don't know what they're doing.  I mean they literally don't know what they're doing; they are unaware that they are currently driving a car.  I'm convinced most people get behind the wheel, shut off their brains and run on autopilot. 

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
I guess my young days of "four-wheeling" in a three quarter ton pickup taught me a lot about being aware when I drive  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 02:31:50 AM »
I guess this is the granddaddy of parking problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-RIMcpmzuM

Somehow I keep thinking of the fast light bullet v. the slow heavy bullet controversy.

Hey, I'm not takin' sides, just sayin'.

Terry

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 02:42:56 AM »
I can generally PP ok. I do better with plenty of space, but I've not yet managed to tap/run into any other vehicle while attempting it, even in really tight spaces, so there's that...

Somehow I keep thinking of the fast light bullet v. the slow heavy bullet controversy.

Terry

Jesus those things have a lot of momentum. I kept expecting it to stop but it just...kept...going...

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 10:40:01 AM »

Terry

I'll bet that was one expensive parking job!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G