Author Topic: We want to be tourists in NYC  (Read 1308 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
We want to be tourists in NYC
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:34:22 AM »
My wife and I want to do something different for our "mini vacation" this year (long weekend of 3-4 full days).  Since we're going to spend a week at OBX this August, we're not interested in the beach.  We visit the mountains often (we lived there and have family in the Blue Ridge Mtns).  We thought NYC might be fun and different.  I've never been and she hasn't been in many years.  We don't even know where to start.

Where's a good place to stay?
What's the best way to get around?
What's the best way to get there (we're a 5r drive from NYC according to a coworker)?
What are some good tourist spots?

I'd like to spend between $80 and $120/night for a hotel.  We don't have to stay in the city as long as getting to/from isn't difficult.  I prefer to either drive up and leave the car at the hotel or take Amtrak to NYC.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks,
Chris

Justin

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 11:16:38 AM »
I'm no authority on the subject, but when I interned out in New Jersey several years ago, I made a couple of day trips into NYC.  Say what you will about the political leanings of the place, but the incredible volume of stuff there is overwhelmingly cool.

Check out Times Square. Lots to do and see.

Little Italy is not to be missed.  Lunchtime in Little Italy is very cool. Just walk down the street until you find a restaurant that strikes your fancy.

The Natural History Museum is incredible, too.

A walk through Central Park on a sunny afternoon is kinda nice.

Check out the UN building- it's the home of all modern Kleptocracies, and it's open to tourists who want to visit!

Then there's also Madam Tousseou's (sp) wax museum, Broadway shows, etc. etc.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 12:31:26 PM »
Make sure you check out the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  They have an astounding collection of firearms, including the most expensive pistol ever made.  If I were you I'd up my room rate a bit and stay in Midtown, but then I hate public transportation with an unholy passion.  If you like Italian food, you might splurge and surprise your wife at Babbo.  I've never been, but we gave my in-laws a gift certificate as a wedding gift, and they loved it.  And since my sister-in-law is Italian, I figure that's a good recommendation.  You might also check out a Broadway show.  I know that musicals aren't everyone's cup of tea, but your wife might enjoy that, too.  And it'd get you some slack to check out the guns at the museum.
Whatever you do, and where-ever you stay, have fun.  It's a neat town, although often overwhelming.

James

Penman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:53:46 PM »
There's a program where volunteer guides will show you around the different nighborhoods in NYC. I think it's called New York Guides, or something like that.