Author Topic: Who will?  (Read 3915 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Who will?
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Who will?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
I'd like to see an accurate accounting of how much money goes into prepping for shutdowns that never happen. Like the last few years, I've been getting emails and phone calls from DC to the local level about prepping our offices for shutdown. Shutting down computer systems, taking everyone's cell phones from them, securing offices, etc. Then at 1159PM tomorrow, some "deal" will be struck and the govt will remain open and we have to go back in and undo all the stuff we prepped for. Multiply that by several hundred thousand federal offices and the costs will make your blood boil.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the gov shutdown for a month or two, so that people could see just what services they really don't need (because critical stuff will still be online), a one or two day shutdown (plus the preps) costs WAY more than just leaving everything running.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »
I'd like to see .gov shutdown to be real- no free flights home for congress critters, all alphabet agencies including secret service being furloughed.... >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
I'd like to see .gov shutdown to be real- no free flights home for congress critters, all alphabet agencies including secret service being furloughed.... >:D

Shut down ATC and there will be no flights anywhere  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:44:25 AM »
I live in an increasingly liberal urban metro area. I won't lack for any of those, irrespective of fedgov participation.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »

VFR works for me.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
VFR works for me.

Very Fast Reflexes...?  =|

=D 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »

The "Cut my nuts off to lower my carbon buttprint" weatherguy should be cool with that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
Government shutdowns are such BS.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/a-history-of-us-government-shutdowns-and-how-the-stock-market-reacted/2013/09/27/41e26ee2-27ab-11e3-9372-92606241ae9c_story.html

It doesn't seem to hurt the stock markets very much.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/federalbudgetprocess/a/Government-Shutdowns.htm

But it does affect some people. As a .gov employee, I don't see it doing anything to my job, my pay, or my workload. So, at best, it is a hyped, targeted shutdown of many non-essential services. Even then, they will be back before you can say "continuing resolution".

Politicians, what a bunch of *expletive deleted*che nozzles, they have no concern for the country as a whole, just their tiny little slice of fame. We need to do away with career politicians, but that is a subject for another thread.

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »

stay safe.

Or as Rush Limbaugh said, if all of those illegal immigrants are "in the shadows," can we trade places with them?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 09:10:48 PM »
When Clinton shut the government down, I would have been completely UNAWARE of it if not for news reports. Even afterwards, the only folks I know of who were inconvenienced were some vacationers who found some museums (e.g, the Smithsonian) and national parks closed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
I was told I could use vacation, NOT sick, the gov guys were getting paid but nobody would admit it. I grabbed the oldest boy & went hunting for three days.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
How about in the CR only keeping the "essential" services after the shutdown, and dumping everything else.

See, easy-peasy.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »
See, easy-peasy.

Wish they would have done that in some places I've worked.
Start a reaction (which is a hot item, has to get to the customer, zero padding built in on the lead time , just-in-time manufacturing, $300,000 of product)that takes 14 hours of monitoring before it can be safely shutdown, front office tells everyone they can leave due to inclimate weather, and calls the next shift to tell them not to come in, you end up with a a pair of pissed off chemists working a double shift when everyone else goes home by 11 A.M.

Barack Obama

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:04 PM »
Wish they would have done that in some places I've worked.
Start a reaction (which is a hot item, has to get to the customer, zero padding built in on the lead time , just-in-time manufacturing, $300,000 of product)that takes 14 hours of monitoring before it can be safely shutdown, front office tells everyone they can leave due to inclimate weather, and calls the next shift to tell them not to come in, you end up with a a pair of pissed off chemists working a double shift when everyone else goes home by 11 A.M.

My company is quick to remind us that all of us are "essential personnel". Even record setting blizzard conditions or state level declared disaster area due to ice storm, are no excuse to not come to work. Oh, and if you need to talk to the boss call her at home, she can't get to her office today.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 11:15:27 PM »
My company is quick to remind us that all of us are "essential personnel". Even record setting blizzard conditions or state level declared disaster area due to ice storm, are no excuse to not come to work. Oh, and if you need to talk to the boss call her at home, she can't get to her office today.

I had a day that I 'had' to go in to check some work after a big snow storm. I was 1 of 3 people that showed up that day- out of a possible 115. I have pictures somewhere where the snow in the parking lot was up over my bumpers.
I'll admit, the drive in was a rare treat, I was one of the few fools on the road for the 30 mile commute. The downtown Milwaukee are looked like it had been nuked- no cars on the roads except police, no people outside, and I saw a few cars in the ditches near the lake where you could only see their roof or antenna sticking through the snow.

Barack Obama

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »

Right there with you. A few years back, we had a record-setting back-to-back pair of snowstorms one year, followed the next year by a less-bad storm, here in NoVA. I made it to work just before the first storm that first year, and stayed on site for 3 days straight (we'd been paying attention to the forecasts, and all of us were prepared to stay; there are at least half-assed facilities to stay on site if necessary, for Ops crews). And got screwed out of about half the overtime pay I was due under the rules in place when the storm hit - teh Bosses rewrote the rules after the storms but before the paychecks to change the definitions and cut essential-personnel overtime (well, everyone's, but the ones getting it that period were the ~40% of staff rated "essential"), issued that paycheck, and changed those rules back again. Had to make sure their bonuses for not blowing financial goals didn't get impacted...

Next year's storm, it was a co-worker - well, he allegedly worked, anyways... - on the offgoing Ops shift who, after being told in advance "Come in prepared to stay overnight," decided instead to go home and come back in the next morning. He was told before leaving, "If you go, you WILL be here, on time." Of course he wasn't. The rest of us only stayed there one day that time.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:22 AM »
I made it to the office every day on time during our blizzard event. 2 nights I had to spend time with a snow shovel to even gain access to the building. I counted that as work time.
My company vehicle is a Chevy Astro. The snow was drifted to the head lights in the lot and there was a waist deep drift across the gates. Company didn't get the lot cleared for 4 days. My boss suggested I shovel it clear so I could travel. I asked her what part of having an overweight, middle aged office worker shoveling snow in single digit temps, at night, alone, really sounded like a good idea to her.
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:55 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »

???

Whoever leaves considers themselves "non-essential" and will be laid off.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.