Author Topic: Cough, cough, die.  (Read 5712 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Cough, cough, die.
« on: September 30, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Cough, cough, die.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »
That 95% number is interesting, but does make some sense.  I wouldnt have guessed it to be that high.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
That 95% number is interesting, but does make some sense.  I wouldnt have guessed it to be that high.

I had always heard 85%, but that may be out of context here.  I suspect just how contagious the disease is has a big impact.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »
That's what happens when you get your medical advice from room temperature IQ Playboy Bunnies.

And convicted British Medical frauds.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »
I shake my head.

If you want to endanger your life or your childrens lives, that's one thing, but *expletive deleted* up other people because of stupid *expletive deleted* like this just makes you a bad person.

I have an immune system like a rock. I get sick maybe once or twice a year, head colds that tend to run there course in a few days at most.
But I work with a woman who has Lupus, I work for a woman in her 70's and there is a toddler running around all the time. So, I get vaccinated. It's not for my sake, it's for their sake.

I think these butt hats who want to be pestulance ridden jerks should be given there own little island to use as a *expletive deleted* peetry dish.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »
Snohomish County where I live has a huge population of filthy hippies who don't vaccinate against pertussis, and so spread it around like the disease ridden vermin they are. My entire family had it when I was a kid (because my parents didn't believe in vaccines either, morons) and it's no joke.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »
§ 32.1-44. Isolated or quarantined persons.

The provisions of this chapter shall be construed to allow any isolated or quarantined person to choose his own treatment, whenever practicable and in the best interest of the health and safety of the isolated or quarantined person and the public; however, the conditions of any order of isolation issued pursuant to Article 3.01 (§ 32.1-48.01 et seq.) of this chapter involving a communicable disease of public health significance and any order of quarantine or order of isolation involving any communicable disease of public health threat pursuant to Article 3.02 (§ 32.1-48.05 et seq.) of this chapter shall remain in effect until the person or persons subject to such order of quarantine or order of isolation shall no longer constitute a threat to other persons.

(Code 1950, § 32-13; 1979, c. 711; 1990, c. 958; 2004, cc. 773, 1021.)

Go here http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+32.1-44 to get the links to the referenced Code sections.

Nothing says you have to get vaccinated, because there are escape clauses that let parents skip doing so on other than religious grounds.  But if your little snowflake comes down with it, you better be prepared to all stay indoors till the disease runs its course.  Nobody is yet coming out in public suggesting quarantine/isolation orders, but several folks I know who are employed at the state health department have been telling me the topic is being kicked around if for no other reason than because this winter looks to be worse than most for kids coming down with these preventable diseases.

Did you know that at least in Virginia you can report someone for having a communicable disease and the health department has to go out and assess the situation?  Gets the old quarantinr ball rolling.  http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+12VAC5-110

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »
I'm very anti .gov telling you what to do, but in the case of people turning their kids into Typhoid Mary then I have zero problem with quarantine etc laws.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Remember, the .gov is not telling you what to do.  If you want to skip vaccinations and let little Johnny and little Jane die, that's your call.

They are telling you what not to do - as in do not spread pestilence throughout the county.

Don't you already feel better about it?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
Same thing in Britain, only with measles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 12:07:22 AM »
When I read the subject line, I thought this would be about the Breaking Bad finale.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »
An aside, just about 18 months ago, my older son got whooping cough.  Yes, he's had the vaccination.   Doc sqid that unfortunately,  it isn't always effective.  So, it was meds for the whole family and a long weekend/quarantine for us all.  None of the rest of us came down with it, and he's fine, though it did impact his running for soccer and cross country.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »
You voluntarily quarantined your whole family?  Without a government agent holding an assault rifle to you head?

Must be some sort of commie, if you ask me.

stay safe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »
Remember, the .gov is not telling you what to do.  If you want to skip vaccinations and let little Johnny and little Jane die, that's your call.

They are telling you what not to do - as in do not spread pestilence throughout the county.

Don't you already feel better about it?

stay safe.
There are some things govt should take a lead role in, or at least see that some independent group is doing it.  I think people forget about high infant mortality rates.  They go ape over the bird flu scare, but don't take seriously known diseases. 

I am due for a physical.  Might have to ask the doc if I need to get updated on any childhood vacinations.  I think I am coming up on 10 years since the last tetnus vacine. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how a supposed vaccine induced immunity makes you less contagious than a naturally strong immunity  ???

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how a supposed vaccine induced immunity makes you less contagious than a naturally strong immunity  ???

;/

1. It's not immunity, just increased resistance.
2. How do you know if your baby has a "naturally strong" immune system?
3. If almost everyone has high resistance to it, almost no one gets it. See rates of things like polio and TB in countries that vaccinate vs the Third World.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 12:58:04 PM »
1. It's not immunity, just increased resistance.
2. How do you know if your baby has a "naturally strong" immune system?
3. If almost everyone has high resistance to it, almost no one gets it. See rates of things like polio and TB in countries that vaccinate vs the Third World.

1. Means the same thing - your "immune system" gives you resistance
2. My "babies" are 27 and live in TX and AZ.  None of us has ever had a flu shot to my knowledge
3. I don't get your point ???  Is there even a TB shot?  =|

I think that all that I have ever had was smallpox in order to go to school, plus I had to get a tetanus shot after stepping on a nail 20++ yrs ago.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
1. Means the same thing - your "immune system" gives you resistance
2. My "babies" are 27 and live in TX and AZ.  None of us has ever had a flu shot to my knowledge
3. I don't get your point ???  Is there even a TB shot?  =|

I think that all that I have ever had was smallpox in order to go to school, plus I had to get a tetanus shot after stepping on a nail 20++ yrs ago.

I don't understand the point of your first post re "naturally strong immune systems." Seemed like anti-vaccine nonsense, but perhaps I misunderstood.

Vaccines prevent diseases. I think the absence of polio, measles etc in the first world is pretty compelling evidence of that. When people refuse to vaccinate their kids for things like pertussis, that increases the spread of those diseases and endangers others. So even if I'm not willing to make it a .gov mandate that people vaccinate their kids, I am willing to heap scorn on those who endanger my children's lives because they're f***ing hippies who want to stick it to the man by letting their kids get diseases that are easily preventable.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
I don't understand the point of your first post re "naturally strong immune systems." Seemed like anti-vaccine nonsense, but perhaps I misunderstood.

I don't get sick.  Once in a while I will feel a bit crappy* for a couple days, which I assume means that I am fighting something.  There are some downsides to this feature, but that is out of scope.

* or more crappy than usual for my age

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »
I don't get sick.  Once in a while I will feel a bit crappy* for a couple days, which I assume means that I am fighting something.  There are some downsides to this feature, but that is out of scope.

* or more crappy than usual for my age

Ok. Good for you? I'm not sure what bearing that has on a discussion of vaccinating children.

Also, people who carry diseases but are not affected by them are probably the ones who most need vaccinations.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »
Ok. Good for you? I'm not sure what bearing that has on a discussion of vaccinating children.

Also, people who carry diseases but are not affected by them are probably the ones who most need vaccinations.

Typhoid Mary.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »

So, you vaccinate your family but you'all are still getting sick?

So you're blaming people who don't get sick...?   :facepalm:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »

So you're blaming people who don't get sick...?   :facepalm:

???

Yes, I vaccinate my family. No, we haven't gotten the diseases we have been vaccinated for. (Though we do get sick.)

Yes, we are blaming people who don't get sick for spreading a disease they are immune to, for example:

Typhoid Mary.

Unfortunately for the children, those most likely to be harmed/killed by this stupidity are those children who don't get the vaccine. EVEN MORE unfortunately, are those children for whom the vaccine was not totally effective who are harmed/killed because some morons were afraid of the cutting edge 200+ year old technology.

(Edit: I should note that I believe those who do not vaccinate for religious reasons are also wrong, but I don't consider them morons, necessarily.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:46:17 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »

So you're blaming people who don't get sick...?   :facepalm:

No, I'm saying that children under a certain age are not able to be vaccinated, and are thus vulnerable to certain diseases. I'm further saying that vaccines aren't magic, and have reduced effectiveness for some people esp those who are immuno-compromised for some reason. I'm further saying that when people choose not to vaccinate their kids for things like pertussis, they greatly increase the likelihood that their kids will get that disease. When enough people make that same stupid decision, it makes it far more likely that those who are too young / immuno-compromised etc will catch the disease as well. I'm not sure what so hard about this.

Your comment seems to be "I don't get sick much so people who vaccinate their kids are stupid." I'm just pointing out that 1. even if YOU don't get sick much, there is no reason to think your kids will automatically have that same trait and 2. even if you don't feel negative effects it's still possible to be a carrier.

Again, I don't understand your point. You don't get sick much. So f***ing what? When the hippies in Bellingham refuse to vaccinate their kids against pertussis, the number of cases skyrockets. When the number of local cases goes up, that makes it far more likely that vulnerable people in the area (such as the baby we're having in December when she's too young for the vaccine) will get sick and die. <<< This is fairly indisputable fact. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
Too much caffiene  ???   =|