Author Topic: Self Defense via SUV  (Read 39338 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Self Defense via SUV
« on: September 30, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukdkgLYYbw

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pack-motorcyclists-chase-man-suv-attack-upper-manhattan-street-fender-bender-west-side-highway-article-1.1471585

Check this video out.  A family in a Range rover is harassed by a gang of wannabe bikers in Manhattan (read:  no CCW).  The bikers cut the SUV off and force it to stop.  Once they start harassing him after stopping, the driver floors it, running over a few bikes and makes a run for it.  They follow him and eventually he gets stopped in traffic.  The bikers smash the windows and beat the guy up.

The video is a helmet cam on one of the bikers.  

What would you do in this situation given the constraints of being in Manhattan.  You don't get to shoot the bikers.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:46:43 AM by 41magsnub »

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Self Defense via SUV
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
Find a better route through traffic?  Drive to a police station or find a cop?

Did he call the cops before he ran over some bikes?

I don't suppose he could have seen the bikers and kept his distance better?  Not sure why they started harrassing him in the first place. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:54:31 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
Running them over was a good start but he should have started playing pinball with the group when they got back up to a higher speed by slamming into them with quick lane changes.

I give him an A+ on good instinct (get the hell out of there and run over some of them initially) but a B on aggressiveness.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
Okay, can't watch the video now.  If he had that opportunity, he should have used it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »
This video is under discussion on my sportbike board.

Here are my thoughts.

A.) Bikers have this idiotic habit of trying to "force" people out of "their group" when cars are forced to merge on onramps, etc. I hate this practice. From comments throughout the web, this appears to have been the SUV's first offense against the snowflakes' delicate sensibilities, where "share the road" means "GIMME"

B.) the guy in jeans/vest got in front of the SUV and slowed WAY down. He was so close, a tap was inevitable.

C.) When the tap happened, they forced his SUV to a stop and surrounded him, attempting to get him out of the vehicle. I don't doubt for a second that he'd have gotten a beatdown had he tried to have a conversation with them.

D.) Wife and kid in the car. Yeah. *expletive deleted*ck you guys. Get out of my way or get run down.

As for the subsequent chase, I think he should have stayed on the freeway and kept moving while waiting for cops. But that's just me.

Bottom line: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Screw those aholes. I'm tired of sportbikers doing silly *expletive deleted*it like this to clog up roads intentionally, then getting all butthurt when bad things happen.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
Running them over was a good start but he should have started playing pinball with the group when they got back up to a higher speed by slamming into them with quick lane changes.

I give him an A+ on good instinct (get the hell out of there and run over some of them initially) but a B on aggressiveness.
Agree - when they stopped him and assault the vehicle, they upgraded their status from "annoyance" to "menace." They remained a clear and present danger when they pursued.

By the end, very few traffic jams are so densely packed that an SUV driver can't move his vehicle enough to make things difficult for assaulting pedestrians, even if his bumpers hit those of the vehicles ahead and behind.

If this becomes more common, I suggest this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQbHnLSasfQ
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
Once a certain line was crossed, I would have been more aggressive with my >3000# weapon. More sudden braking, more maneuvering, more impacts. And I would have stayed on multilane roadway without stop lights or choke points if possible and I would have used reverse gear if I found myself blocked.
The SUV driver was probably scared, but he wasn't committed.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »
I didn't get to see the viseo, maybe later...

I bunch of bikers try to box me in and bring me to a halt?
Homey don't play dat- unless the bikes have flashing blue and red lights.
Switch transfer case into 4high and and start running the sumb1543s over- forward, reverse, in circles, whatever it takes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »

I concur. Should have stayed on the highway, called the cops, and play the good guy (only respond aggressively if they try anything) until the cops show up.

Btw:  FRONT LINE SOLDIERS MC
http://www.frontlinesoldiersmc.com/#!about

This is why wearing colors, or any distinctive markings, always struck me as odd. Also, if you commit a crime, it's not wise to video tape it and post it online. Unless the guy was ensuring that the folks that committed violence paid for it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:39:56 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Self Defense via SUV
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
Target the protoplasm not the metal hit em but aim to get body parts not wheels or handle bars. Get one good? Finish em. To encourage the others. And always keep mr tireiron under seat next to mr fire extinguisher.

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Re: Self Defense via SUV
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »
Target the protoplasm not the metal hit em but aim to get body parts not wheels or handle bars. Get one good? Finish em. To encourage the others. And always keep mr tireiron under seat next to mr fire extinguisher.

damn phone

This is also why i avoid areas where I cannot carry.

Someone bashes in my window attempting to pull me out? That's an attempt on my life.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
Yeah, that would have gone massively different had the SUV driver been armed with a firearm, I think.

As for me, I concur on the 3000 pound weapon idea.  You attempt to pursue and box me in, I'M RUNNING YOU OVER.
You will be greasing my fricking axles.

I hope these punks go to jail for this bullshit.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
The guy did exactly what he should have- He stopped when the idiot on the bike forced him to hit said idiot- The biker pulled in three feet in front of him and hit the brakes!  Then, when the the rest  were aggressive, he got out of there ASAP. Suggestions that he should have played ping pong with the rest is not legitimate self defense- that is offensive in nature.

From the video, it looks like the squids were pissed he was driving too slow, even though they had enough room to get around in the other two open lanes. So some jacked up guy decides to "prove something".  He is very lucky he was not killed instantly by being dragged under the car.

Makes me a tiny bit ashamed to be even remotely associated by way of my hobby. Now everyone who is not a biker is going to see this and get a bad impression.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
. . . Suggestions that he should have played ping pong with the rest is not legitimate self defense- that is offensive in nature . . .
Not if the group that assaulted the vehicle pursued when their intended victim - the guy in the SUV with his family - tried to break contact.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »
Not if the group that assaulted the vehicle pursued when their intended victim - the guy in the SUV with his family - tried to break contact.
Agree. There is a lot we don't know and can't get from the video but there was a point when they became aggressors and clearly threatened the driver and his family. the driver would have been justified (IMO) in using whatever means he had available ie 3000 pound rolling weapon to stop the threat.
I don't see this as a negative for all bikers or MCs, just for this particular group of punks.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »
I am liking little cars less and less all the time.

All that gas you save ain't worth a darn if you are dead.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
To paraphrase or blatently steal from Jeff Copper- "Do not attend a vehicular fight with a vehicle whose number of wheels does not begin with a 4."
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
If SWMBO is in the rig w/ me, she's on the phone w/ 911 giving them our location, direction of travel, and running narrative of what's happening.  I'm focusing entirely on driving.   If it's just me, speakerphone and I'm trying to do the same.  If I feel my life is at risk, I'm with most of you - stay on freeway where you don't have traffic lights, etc.   If I hit a traffic jam, I'm in the shoulder, median, whatever the hell I have to drive on to NOT STOP.  My truck weighs 7300 lbs empty.  If they try to box me in and stop me, well, let's just hope I don't rip something important off the bottom of my truck....   'cause if I feel I'm in danger, there's no way in hell I'm gonna let them stop me.

If by some chance I find myself stuck in traffic?  Reference truck weight above - if I have to push other cars out of my way, well then so be it.  As long as I can safely do it, I will ignore traffic lights, wrong way signs, etc.  
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »

Now, in an ounce of fairness. From the video, how many bikers do you think clearly saw the white bike essentially try to commit suicide by ramming the front of the SUV? Half a dozen? The entire process was over in 3 seconds. With limited angles of viewing.

My guess is one stupid person did something stupid. Others responded without the necessary information. SUV owner spooked, ran. All of the pack saw the SUV crunch some bikes. Probably without seeing white bike playing stupid games in order to win the stupid prize. So, they pursued as a pack.

Failure of leadership. Hell, no one seemed to be thinking. Doesn't let the bikers off the hook for their crimes. Just saying, it's easy for things to get stupid when there's a LARGE chunk of information missing. If you started the video at the bike crunching, you'd think of things quite differently.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »
This is under discussion on every motorcycle board. Brake checking anything is stupid on a bike, apparently the bikers instigated it and he took off when one of them tried to open his door. Can't fault him for that.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 03:56:18 PM »
Now, in an ounce of fairness. From the video, how many bikers do you think clearly saw the white bike essentially try to commit suicide by ramming the front of the SUV? Half a dozen? The entire process was over in 3 seconds. With limited angles of viewing.

My guess is one stupid person did something stupid. Others responded without the necessary information. SUV owner spooked, ran. All of the pack saw the SUV crunch some bikes. Probably without seeing white bike playing stupid games in order to win the stupid prize. So, they pursued as a pack.

Failure of leadership. Hell, no one seemed to be thinking. Doesn't let the bikers off the hook for their crimes. Just saying, it's easy for things to get stupid when there's a LARGE chunk of information missing. If you started the video at the bike crunching, you'd think of things quite differently.

Rev has a good point here: in a pack situation like this, the bikers may believe their cause is righteous.

You're just as dead from people who are mistaken as you are from evil people. Sometimes you might have to hurt people who think they are "doing the right thing". (I'm betting most of the bikers didn't think the plan was to run this family down and attack him. In fact, I'm betting most of the bikers didn't think.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said cops were trying to identify some of the bikers, but most of the motorcycles captured in the footage didn’t have license plates on the vehicles.

Damn squids.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »

An F for Followthrough.  They pulled him out of the car and beat him later.
Stick to more open roads. Refuse to stop for anyone except a marked cruiser.

No.  Nope. No fairness.  They immediately went into mob mentality.  Follow and call the popo.  Not their place to commence with street justice.  Missing information or not.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
It should be noted that these folks were criminals before the attack, riding sans plates (which I don't really care about as it's administrative not mala in se) and stunting on public roads (which I do care about as it risks the lives of other drivers).
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
one thing a former squid notices?
a change in the group dynamics.
there are girls riding now and guys really get stupid fronting and strutting in front of women.

squish a couple fools who break bad like that makes em easy to identify. had a fool do the brake check thing on me with a mixed group of 6 or 7 similar fools.  its a good way to die
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I