Author Topic: The essential TC calibers?  (Read 2791 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
The essential TC calibers?
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
I'm thinking real hard of getting a Thompson/Center Contender.

The goal is to increase my draw chances in hunt lotteries in AZ by switching from rifle to handgun.  I want to put in for deer, elk, antelope and possibly javelina.

Elk is the biggest critter I'd be going after, javelina the smallest at about 50-75 pounds.  Antelope would probably be the hardest to get near and require the longest shot on the plains where they are typically found here in AZ.  I've been able to stalk to within about 150 yards of a small antelope herd in tall grass while out with an elk tag, couldn't get closer.  Been closer to deer and elk plenty of times (not with a tag...), just not antelope.  So I'd like to have something that I can rely on to shoot to 200 yards.

What would you consider the essential TC calibers for such a rig?

I'm thinking that a spirepoint lightweight .30 bullet somewhere around 120-140 grains, fired from a .30-30 chambered 14" TC barrel would make a great antelope round.  I already reload for .30-30.  Rimmed case for good, positive extraction if I need to get another cartridge in there quickly.  Scoped with a low power pistol scope or even a red dot, and put a bipod on it.  Not sure what kind of velocity I could get out of a 14" barrel and 30gr of typical rifle powders suitable for .30-30, but I bet there's oodles of load data out there for .30-30 TC pistols. 

And then probably a .44 magnum barrel.  I'd like shorter than the 12" they offer as their shortest... 8" would probably be sufficient, maybe 10".  Irons, hi-viz fiber optic front sight.  If not .44, then moving up into the .454 or .475 territory.

Does anyone offer barrels/chamberings for the Contender other than Thompson? 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The essential TC calibers?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:38:46 PM »
You need something for T Rex!  [ar15] :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »
Ear plugs and muffs  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
8mm...
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 05:53:45 PM »
.600 Nitro.  Because you might run into a Mammoth or Bigfoot.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Not so much which calibers but how many different lengths for each caliber?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:58:43 PM »
The 7mm water might be a little flatter shooting at 200 yards, but the 30-30 would be better for elk if you had that chance.  Sounds like a good choice.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »
Years ago, I had a Contender handgun.  My two barrels were a 14" 30-30 that would shoot one-hole groups at 50yds scoped and on a rest.  The other was a 10" 7mmTCU that I never got around to wringing out.

Check out SSK, Eabco, MGM, and Gary Reeder for alternative chamberings.

For "big bore", take a gander at the 375JDJ (444 necked down to 375).  It was designed to give dangerous game power to the Contender.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »
BTW, do you *want* a Contender or would an Encore work?  Encore opens up the possibility for much more powerful cartridges, but does add weight.  I've heard rumors that TC has killed the Contender.

Also, the older Contenders have some quirks (needing to break the action to recock the hammer), but have fantastic triggers.  The trigger on my Contender would make a 1911 fan weep it was so sweet.   The newer G2 Contenders fixed the "break to recock" feature, but the triggers aren't as nice.

I have an Encore rifle these days (300wm and 209x50 ML).

Chris

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »
I have had a .30-30 14" Contender, and it would shoot really well with H4895 and Hornady 150gr Spire points.  Since IHMSA is no longer a thing, my Contender battery consists of .22LR, .357M, and .44M, all scoped.  I'm not sure if .44M is stout enough for elk, but maybe a really stout, heavy bullet would work.  Btw, the .30-30 chrono'd almost 2000fps.  Probably do for the prairie goats at 150yds.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
Ear plugs and muffs  =(

No doubt about that! I was at a range in California, shooting "The most powerful handgun in the world" (44 mag) being impressed by the degree of Bang Bang I was committing, when some guy a couple booths down touched off a Contender in 30-06. After that my 44 would only go bang bang!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 01:20:27 PM »
No doubt about that! I was at a range in California, shooting "The most powerful handgun in the world" (44 mag) being impressed by the degree of Bang Bang I was committing, when some guy a couple booths down touched off a Contender in 30-06. After that my 44 would only go bang bang!

My neighbor got this weird single shot pistol: it has a knob in the back with a notch to allow loading and then you turn it so the breech is covered.  There is a cocking lever on the side.   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
when some guy a couple booths down touched off a Contender in 30-06.

No he didn't. It was either a lower pressure 30cal (30-30, 30Herrett, etc) or an Encore.  :) 

Chris

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »
No he didn't. It was either a lower pressure 30cal (30-30, 30Herrett, etc) or an Encore.  :) 

Chris

Must have been an Encore. Hey, they all look alike! (kinda like all snowmobiles are Skidoos ;))
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
Must have been an Encore. Hey, they all look alike! (kinda like all snowmobiles are Skidoos ;))
Well there the ones with magnetic bumpers to pick up all the arctic cat parts.
I have the remains of a skidoo and a Polaris currently.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
I have had a .30-30 14" Contender, and it would shoot really well with H4895 and Hornady 150gr Spire points.  Since IHMSA is no longer a thing, my Contender battery consists of .22LR, .357M, and .44M, all scoped.  I'm not sure if .44M is stout enough for elk, but maybe a really stout, heavy bullet would work.  Btw, the .30-30 chrono'd almost 2000fps.  Probably do for the prairie goats at 150yds.

I think .44 would work fine for elk.  But I wouldn't be opposed to stepping up.  I've shot a .454 and didn't much care for it, though that was in a Freedom Arms and it bashed my knuckles on recoil so it might have something to do with grip design, and I've shot a .480 in a 9.5" Super Redhawk and REALLY liked that.  I wouldn't mind having a .475 or .480 in a TC platform of some sort.

Not familiar with the differences between the Contender and the Encore.  Can anyone enlighten me?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »
Encore is bigger, heavier, stronger, but better suited to high pressure rifle cartridges.

Chris

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
What he said.  The Contender can be chambered in rounds up to 223, 30-30 and 44 mag levels.  The Encore can be chambered in pretty much anything and is almost two pounds heavier.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »
Elk is 600-800lb animal, just remember that. Pick a caliber with enough mass/energy to break bones when you shoot them at the range you are comfortable with.

You don't want to be under gunned and be chasing a wounded elk for 5-10 miles

or do like the rest of big game hunters do on limited draw, apply every year and wait to be drawn. You can also hunt other states then your resident state and draw every year for Elk, Deer and Pronghorn. In WY in certain zones you can draw or get OTC tags every year. These zone have a lot of pronghorns, lots of public land if you get maps/GPS chip (make sure you do not cross over private property to access public land, WY has some of the most enforced trespass laws), if you hunt after opening weekend the number of hunters drops a lot. There are a lot ranches you can hunt that have low trespass fees and limited hunters.

I've just gotten to the point that I like to hunt and I don't mind traveling or paying more to hunt. Someday I'm not going to be able to hunt as hard as I like and I don't want to have a lot of regrets because I was too cheap or too lazy to travel.

I look at hunting beyond meat for the freezer, I look at my out of state trips as vacations and I actually spend less hunting out of state then I would on a vacation for the same duration.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »
The Encore can be chambered in pretty much anything and is almost two pounds heavier.

I haven't compared the numbers, but having owned both, I doubt the Encore frame weighs two pounds stripped.  I suspect the weight difference is partially the frame, but mostly in the barrels, stocks, and forends.

Off to the Google oracle...

And I found this: http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/contencore.html

So, the frames alone don't differ all that much weight-wise, but there are other differences to take into account.

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
So the Encore barrels are heavier since they start at 1.000" thickness and taper as needed, rather than the Contender barrels that start at 0.810" thickness and taper.

And the receiver is 5oz heavier to begin with.

Encore seems to handle some fairly stout rifle cartridges.  Wow.
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 01:58:48 PM »
Yup.

IMO, if you're primarily going the handgun route, with low pressure rifle cartridges or handgun cartridges, get a Contender.  Otherwise, the Encore makes a better rifle.

Chris

griz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
When I said two pounds I was thinking of the entire gun, but with my bias towards rifles I was thinking of a six pound Contender versus an eight pound Encore. (both scoped)  I'm sure it would be less of a difference with the shorter barrels of the handguns.  Sorry, my mistake.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
Have you considered doing the muzzleloader thing?

Does AZ have a muzzleloader season? That maybe a way for you to draw a tag more often and get to hunt Elk early, or even later when they are down in the valleys for the winter.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »
Have you considered doing the muzzleloader thing?

Does AZ have a muzzleloader season? That maybe a way for you to draw a tag more often and get to hunt Elk early, or even later when they are down in the valleys for the winter.

I've considered it.  Been attracted to the Hawkens rifles for several years.  And there is some limited muzzle-loader-only seasons.  There's also HAM seasons (handgun/archery/muzzleloader) where you can use anything but a regular rifle.
--Lysander Spooner