Author Topic: The essential TC calibers?  (Read 2792 times)

Hutch

• friend
Re: The essential TC calibers?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
I've considered it.  Been attracted to the Hawkens rifles for several years.  And there is some limited muzzle-loader-only seasons.  There's also HAM seasons (handgun/archery/muzzleloader) where you can use anything but a regular rifle.
Fail.  No "s".  It's a Hawken.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
I've considered it.  Been attracted to the Hawkens rifles for several years.  And there is some limited muzzle-loader-only seasons.  There's also HAM seasons (handgun/archery/muzzleloader) where you can use anything but a regular rifle.

I had a TC .50 years ago.  My first gun in fact.  Hunted a couple seasons but never actually killed anything.  I had a misfire and a companion killed it instead - pop! BOOM!   =)

Some ladrones stole it out of my logging camp in New Mexico  :mad:

I still have some of the stuff to go with it, but I never replaced it.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
I bought one of those new fangled inline shotgun primer muzzleloaders a few years back. My TC Hawken has collected dust since then.

So much easier to clean and lighter than my Hawken. Really nice that I can put a scope on it. Accuracy is the same between the two since my Hawken was a fast twist one, so it was designed for maxiballs and sabots, accuracy sucked with round balls. I do like that my MZL is designed to have a scope and I'd feel pretty confortable shooting at deer or larger sized critter out to 150 yards, it really drops after that.

Here is a pic of my CVA Optima with a 2-7x35 burris on it. Bought both on sale so I have less than $400 in the combo. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
I bought one of those new fangled inline shotgun primer muzzleloaders a few years back. My TC Hawken has collected dust since then.

Yeah, but it just doesn't match the buckskins   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 09:28:54 PM »
Yeah, but it just doesn't match the buckskins   =D

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »

Dang now why did ya have to go post my goldurn picture?   =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 11:48:17 PM »
Dang now why did ya have to go post my goldurn picture?   =D

Do you know who that is? He might of even lived in the area you live now at one time.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
Do you know who that is? He might of even lived in the area you live now at one time.

John Liver-Eating Johnston ?   ;)

Yeah, the Crazy Woman cabin according to some accounts was up along the Musselshell River between Melstone and Mosby.  =|  We used to live out by Melstone.  But then there are the Crazy Mountains about 100 miles west of here and the Crazy Woman Creek down by Buffalo WY.  So she either got around a lot or there was more than one crazy woman  :lol:

I don't let my beard get that long but strangely enough that looks a lot like me otherwise  :O

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
John Liver-Eating Johnston ?   ;)

Yeah, the Crazy Woman cabin according to some accounts was up along the Musselshell River between Melstone and Mosby.  =|  We used to live out by Melstone.  But then there are the Crazy Mountains about 100 miles west of here and the Crazy Woman Creek down by Buffalo WY.  So she either got around a lot or there was more than one crazy woman  :lol:

I don't let my beard get that long but strangely enough that looks a lot like me otherwise  :O

Yes, Liver Eating Johnson.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 10:38:09 AM »
Yes, Liver Eating Johnson.

With that nose, "Johnson" has to be a Scot or Irish.

I think his real name was "Garrison"  (McGary, mac Gearaidh  ??? )

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
With that nose, "Johnson" has to be a Scot or Irish.

I think his real name was "Garrison"  (McGary, mac Gearaidh  ??? )

according to Wikipedia you are correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

I really don't much about him, other than he was in part of the Crazy Woman's life whom Crazy Woman mountains were named for and Jeremiah Johnson in the movie was sort of based on his life.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »
I really don't much about him, other than he was in part of the Crazy Woman's life whom Crazy Woman mountains were named for and Jeremiah Johnson in the movie was sort of based on his life.

The Crazy Mountains in Montana (which we can see going down the road towards the highway, but not from our house) and Crazy Woman Creek in Wyoming are a fair piece apart.  According to Crow Killer, her family was slaughtered by the Musselshell north of the "big bend" at Melstone, and that's where "Johnston" built her a little cabin when she would not leave.  As I recall, that's where he found shelter after escaping the Blackfeet and crossing several mountain ranges and rivers in mid-winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Mountains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Woman_Creek

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »
When I said two pounds I was thinking of the entire gun, but with my bias towards rifles I was thinking of a six pound Contender versus an eight pound Encore. (both scoped)  I'm sure it would be less of a difference with the shorter barrels of the handguns.  Sorry, my mistake.

FWIW, I was switching my Encore from the 209x50 barrel to my 300wm barrel now that muzzleloader season is over...

I put the completed 300wm gun up on the scale.  The gun, with a 26" heavy barrel in 300wm, synthetic furniture, and a Redding 3-9x40 scope, weighed 8.5lbs

My Winchester 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 with a 2-7x32 Leupold scope weighs 8lbs.

Chris