Author Topic: The 20 y/o gal and cattle cane  (Read 2858 times)

sm

• friend
The 20 y/o gal and cattle cane
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
Country girl, likes her horses, cowgirl boots, etc.
She was walking the property with her .17 HMR and taking care of ground-hogs, when she slipped /stepped into a BIG hole, made by a groundhog. WE feel pretty sure  one of the groundhogs she felled was using that hole.

ER folks said she sprained her ankle really, really  bad.
She: "it hurts like he...umm heck!

It is her left ankle and since she drives a stick shift, she "feels the pain" using the clutch...
I. Can. Relate.  BTDT.

So since she wanted to go to TSC (Tractor Supply Company) I said I would tag along.
I drove her car as she was so ticked off at herself and really did not feel like driving, with a bum ankle.

While there getting what she needed, I also snagged one of the best looking and well made cattle canes.
I get this look.
Then I got another "look" from her.

"I can do this" she says.

Back to her place I do some measuring and fitting, and then head out to the barn to cut this cane to fit her.
She watches and takes this all in...

Oh heck yeah! This gal accepted she is "down" but is so hard-headed she will not be one to "go down".
Cattle cane, cowgirl hat, boots, jeans...

And...while not legal for her to CCW, she is heck on wheels with her pet Model 36.
(It seems grandpa lost this gun, along with other guns and other stuff).

We stopped by a CVS pharmacy for cane tips, on the way home...

Which also somehow meant we HAD to stop for pair of tennis shoes.
While she wanted the neon pink, they did have her size, so instead she has these neon green ones.
There is no way in Hades one cannot find these shoes.

I did not need to be informed, she had a need for "something more comfy" than cowgirl boots, as per ER docs, still...need I explain how even a simple country gal, can rationalize new "footwear"?
I did not think so...

I shared how to use the cane to help her get around and then shared what little I know about using a cane for defensive purposes.
All I am going to say, I am glad I was NOT that bail of straw...

Aside: How do you get a 20 y/o gal to bust out laughing, and actually fall back onto a pallet of feed?
Simple, just have someone inform you, YOU have a beautiful granddaughter.

I must of had that look when told, and even a better "look" when 20 y/o informed the nice lady in TSC, "Oh he is not my grandpa, more like an adopted uncle to me...he is actually older than my real grandpa".

*sigh*

You know it sucks when a 20 y/o country gal, does you like this. Also she shoots the Mod 36 better than I can, and pretty sure she could kick my butt with her new cane.

Oh well...age has its perks, as Mentors used to say.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: The 20 y/o gal and cattle cane
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:19:58 PM »
What?  You did not teach her to clutch with the cane?

Or had she picked it up on her own before you could think of it?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:22:50 PM »

stay safe.

My thought exactly. :)
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »

stay safe.

Was thinking the same thing.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:09:45 AM »
sm, you are one of my favorite posters from THR years ago. I am just tickled that you are posting here. Welcome.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
What the Cacher said!!!!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

sm

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

Now will someone explain to me as to why a cane tip needs to neon green?
Wait. Stupid me, it must be to match them danged shoes!

Girls do not think like guys...a good thing mind you, still there are times girls are set on driving guys nuts!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
My thought exactly. :)

That's literally what I thought when I read "Cane."

"Oh, so she can drive a stick, now? "
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
It is her left ankle and since she drives a stick shift, she "feels the pain" using the clutch...
I. Can. Relate.  BTDT.

Heel on the pedal pad, roll the leg out to the left enough to keep the foot off the arm of the pedal.  Helps a lot.  Still a PITA when you have to get on/off the clutch, but as long as you're just keeping the foot there long enough to get to top gear and then can cruise for a few miles, it makes driving tolerable.