Author Topic: The Longer the Shutdown the better for the American People  (Read 15158 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: The Longer the Shutdown the better for the American People
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »
He can write them off, as Romeny did. Or, he can try to appeal to them since their vote for a third party (or not voting) was to encourage the leaders in the GOP to run a candidate that will actually improve the country, not continue down the same course with "minor tweaks" or "improvements".

You are arguing that their vote ensures a democrat win. (Short term.) I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you on that. They are disagreeing that voting for a spineless, flip-flopping weasel is the best option in the long run.

It's been a long standing "rule" that in running for office one first grab's one's base and then runs for the peripherals. Is this being a "flip-flopper?"  Was Reagan being a "flip flopper" when he changed from a democrat to a republican, or did he undergo a true epiphany of philosophy and achieve a new understanding of how government should act?
With regards to Romney, I pointed out he ran in a very liberal state.  If his whole platform had consisted of nothing but very conservative homilies and principles, do you think he'd have won?  You have to be elected before you can apply power.

None of your arguments have done anything to sway those who think the long term future of the country is better served by watching a terrible candidate lose in hopes that the next candidate might learn the correct lessons.

Of course, your argument may also be that Politicians are too evil and stupid to learn that lesson. You may be right.

I said before that I long ago stopped trying to "persuade."  I merely "state."
Your second statement here has a good ring of truth to it, though.  It's amazing to me Obama still believes what he does despite five year's worth of evidence that it doesn't.  His stimulus is still supported by his supporters despite the fact that we are in the most sluggish ... "recovery" (if you can call it that) since the Great Depression.  Many who support it but recognize its failure claim it didn't work because it wasn't a large enough stimulus .... a claim history itself dispels, if one should ever have any desire to actually learn from it....and  I guess politicians and their sycophants just won't do that.  Dumb?  Stupid?    I can't imagine ALL of them being dumb.
Evil?   Well there's a big word, despite it being only four letters.  But it makes the most sense, all things concerned.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2013, 12:33:56 PM »

That is a reprehensible quote to attribute to me; I never said that, I never meant that, and if you think I did then your comprehension level is beneath that of a "See John Run" grade school reader.  :mad:

The notion that a Ron Paul supporter would EVER support Romney demonstrates exactly how off-base you are when you ask them to vote for a Romney or McCain.

"It matters not, he is your candidate."

No, he's not.  He's every bit as reprehensible to me and people like me as Obama.  And, frankly, for all his horrid horribleness, Obama has been better from a "let's start another new war" angle than Romney or McCain would ever have been.  Yes, I know he tried to start one in Syria.  Yes, I know he got us involved in Libya.  But he's still inherently spineless and cowardly, and more afraid of massive domestic ire and its damage to his "legacy" than getting involved in war, and it has stopped us from getting into Syria and possibly other conflicts that McRomney would have engaged in.

I'll never vote for a NeoCon.  I'll never vote for a religious fundamentalist.  I'll never vote for a warmonger.  I'll never vote for someone that believes in top-down administration of society's ills.

How do the R's ever get my vote?  Or someone else who is a Paul supporter?

"Lesser of two evils" will never describe the voting principles of a Paul supporter or libertarian.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »
AZ , I never asked you to vote for anybody.   Therein lies your fundamental error.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
Was Reagan being a "flip flopper" when he changed from a democrat to a republican, or did he undergo a true epiphany of philosophy and achieve a new understanding of how government should act?

Or did the partys themselves change  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
Or did the partys themselves change  ???

As I and my other socially-liberal/fiscally prudent friends like to say, we did not leave the party; the party left us.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
As I and my other socially-liberal/fiscally prudent friends like to say, we did not leave the party; the party left us.

That was President Reagan's stated reason for leaving the Democrat party.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

erictank

• friends
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
How is voting for a candidate who polls like 5% or whatever of the electorate NOT throwing away your vote?

Because the goal is not to "vote for the winner." It's to say, "This is the person I believe is best for the job, out of the candidates on the ballot."

Do that, and by definition, your vote is not wasted.

It would seem, by your statements, that anyone who votes for anyone other than the winner of a given election should consider their vote wasted. Seems like a pretty petty way to look at our "regular peaceful revolution."

Sure, you get to feed your ego and run salve all over your conscience because you -- supposedly --  voted for the pure-as-the-driven-snow candidate

If you persist in utilizing strawman tactics, you're pretty much admitting defeat, you DO understand that, right? Since I *EXPLICTLY STATED* that my own preferred candidates were *NOT PERFECT*, that's what you've done, and I'm getting a little irritated by your continuing to lie about what I've said. Please stop.

rather than the "lesser-of-two-evils" or "demo-lite" critter, but what does it really get you beside that?  Society is still left to deal with, in our case, the biggest of the two evils: OBAMA

A hazard of any given election, and part of the design of our political process and the structure of our nation.

If you're truly concerned, I'd recommend you contact the RNC and get them to start fielding better candidates, since you seem to believe that's where the answer has to lie, while I continue to advocate for more-libertarian candidates on my own side. And yours.

As for trying to "civilly persuade" how the &^^% do you do that with people who blather almost incomprehensibly about "Obamaphone" and how he's so great will Romney is ...what was the descriptor that black woman used in that video? .... scum?   Whatever.    She is not civil to begin with.  She wasn't even factually correct; it wasn't really Obama who passed out those cellphones; that program was started by Dubya.  But we cannot ascribe anything "good" to him, only bad 'cause you see, that's what's PC this era.
If it's BAD then by all means lump it on Dubya's resume of tyrannical deeds but don't hang that millstone 'round the big O's neck even if he really did do it.
And trust me, I never was fooling myself into believing I was ever trying to "civilly persuade."   I just calls it like I sees it and if the Devil yells in agony, so be it.  And if the Angels start screeching and bawling, so be it. 

Ah, I see where the disconnect there is - I wasn't talking about you (or the Rs) trying to civilly persuade DEMOCRATS to vote Republican. I was talking about you (and the Rs) trying to civilly persuade libertarians and libertarian-minded Republicans to vote Republican. The Romney campaign, and many of its supporters, notably lacked said civility in their attempts to, well, quite frankly, drive said voters away. Certainly there were libertarians and libertarian-minded Republicans who were never going to vote for Romney, but there were plenty who might have, if his campaign and supporters hadn't worked hard to piss them off, and that's a critical failing in a political campaign.

The above, while actually I agree with to an extent, is hardly any excuse to abandon them to an impossible-to-elect third party.

Third-party candidates will, by definition, remain "impossible-to-elect" so long as fools continue to labor under the delusion that ANYONE is "impossible-to-elect". Look up the term "self-fulfilling prophecy."

They  can be persuaded by those they represent, but when those people run off to the third party the politician will chalk them off and look for others to support him....and if those others aren't so conservative or so true to their platform then the politician will alter his in order to win that support.  Thus goes a vicious cycle.  We eat our own, and do it very well.

"It is if you want them to vote for a candidate YOU believe should be running the show, rather than for the one THEY believe would be best for that job."
 ???
Don't tell me you wouldn't be doing cartwheels of onanistic pleasure if the candidate you supported had been elected.  I think we all feel that way atleast to a degree.   Everyone likes to have their opinions vindicated by general acceptance -- it's an ego thing.

While I certainly would enjoy a libertarian candidate winning major office, your description is... excessive, at best. I suspect my reaction in such a case would be roughly similar to yours if Romney had won. Would you describe your reaction in such a case as "cartwheels of onanistic pleasure"? Truly?

Since I bcame old enough to vote, there has only been one candidate for whom I voted , for whom I ever truly supported -- and even that man was imperfect.

President Ronald Reagan.

That's right.  And he had once been a supporter of FDR.
But like that or not, Reagan did considerable thinking and writing about what drove him away from FDR, the democrat party, and toward conservativeism.

EVERY other political race since then has been .... well, as I said, "Scuzzbag A"  versus "Scumbucket B."

And BTW, my opinion of Reagan is subject to re-evaluation as the situation demands.

As it should be. And that's how I look at EVERY election. Because anything else would be foolish. No human is perfect - but we can and should try to be better, and should especially demand better of those we've chosen to represent us in positions of power and authority. Voting for more-of-the-same does not fit that criteria, IMO.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
Because the goal is not to "vote for the winner." It's to say, "This is the person I believe is best for the job, out of the candidates on the ballot."
You can't really "vote for the winner" in a close election unless you have a crystal ball.  The idea is to vote for the person who has the most realistic chance of winning who will either do the least damage to the country or do what can be done to help repair it.  I don't feel Ron Paul could because I don't think he would have had enough support in congress to help ... although as a republican....maybe.

Do that, and by definition, your vote is not wasted.

It would seem, by your statements, that anyone who votes for anyone other than the winner of a given election should consider their vote wasted. Seems like a pretty petty way to look at our "regular peaceful revolution."

I think it is fair to say it is a waste of a vote to vote for a candidate who polls like 5% or 3% or whatever.  I'll certainly concede that if it's 47% to 53% then yeah, choose the best and takes your pick.

If you persist in utilizing strawman tactics, you're pretty much admitting defeat, you DO understand that, right? Since I *EXPLICTLY STATED* that my own preferred candidates were *NOT PERFECT*, that's what you've done, and I'm getting a little irritated by your continuing to lie about what I've said. Please stop.

It's not a "strawman tactic,"  but I apologize  to you for misrepresenting your position.
I was inadvertantly projecting onto you an attitude I've seen and dealt with in other libertarians and that was unfair.

A hazard of any given election, and part of the design of our political process and the structure of our nation.

If you're truly concerned, I'd recommend you contact the RNC and get them to start fielding better candidates, since you seem to believe that's where the answer has to lie, while I continue to advocate for more-libertarian candidates on my own side. And yours.

Ah, I see where the disconnect there is - I wasn't talking about you (or the Rs) trying to civilly persuade DEMOCRATS to vote Republican. I was talking about you (and the Rs) trying to civilly persuade libertarians and libertarian-minded Republicans to vote Republican. The Romney campaign, and many of its supporters, notably lacked said civility in their attempts to, well, quite frankly, drive said voters away. Certainly there were libertarians and libertarian-minded Republicans who were never going to vote for Romney, but there were plenty who might have, if his campaign and supporters hadn't worked hard to piss them off, and that's a critical failing in a political campaign.

Third-party candidates will, by definition, remain "impossible-to-elect" so long as fools continue to labor under the delusion that ANYONE is "impossible-to-elect". Look up the term "self-fulfilling prophecy."
I know what a "self-fulfilling prophecy" is but fail to understand how it applies to what is essentially a numbers game, made up of voters (and the electoral college).  It isn't by any means "foolish" to believe that a person who polls 5% is either impossible or atleast metaphysically very difficult to elect to office.  That's just the way it works.  It does no good to call the electorate foolish.  We're still stuck with them and with the way things are.

While I certainly would enjoy a libertarian candidate winning major office, your description is... excessive, at best. I suspect my reaction in such a case would be roughly similar to yours if Romney had won. Would you describe your reaction in such a case as "cartwheels of onanistic pleasure"? Truly?
:facepalm:  Oh....kay.  I will admit my rhetoric waxed .... flowery in a way that I probably ought to have thought better of.  :angel:

As it should be. And that's how I look at EVERY election. Because anything else would be foolish. No human is perfect - but we can and should try to be better, and should especially demand better of those we've chosen to represent us in positions of power and authority. Voting for more-of-the-same does not fit that criteria, IMO.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »
BHO poll numbers falling since shutdown began, below 40%.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton