Author Topic: Good luck finding a job out of law school  (Read 4259 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Good luck finding a job out of law school
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2021994037_lawschoolsxml.html

The crappy job market for new lawyers has not improved.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Good luck finding a job out of law school
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:19:56 AM »
The crappy job market for new lawyers has not improved.

Good. We are eliminating the source of sustenance for the young of the brood. Now we just need to find a means of eliminating the mature parasites.

(Of course, the solution is "tort reform", but that appears to be a banned substance in this country.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
Let's ignore that the legal field (work to be done) has actually increased beyond the number of lawyers.  It's just that the big players now outsource everything possible.  India actually outsources the outsourced work right back to the USA; such is the flood of work.  The pyramid of legal work has lost its base, forcing the lowest run of lawyers to look up a level, despite it being far more narrow.  There are also now 'appearance' companies.  Pay them $200 and they will find some desperate lawyer willing to appear for $40.  Greed Greed Greed and failure to enforce existing ethical rules; there's too much money to be made so by magic, its 'common practice' without ever being challenged; despite being extreme departures from established ethical confines. 

When looking about for legal work I was frankly shocked at the unapologetic greed.  Lawyers who bragged about making millions a year would force uncompensated working lunches and round down on hours, with an extremely low base pay.  Right now posted work for lawyers gives the same hourly as a BestBuy cashier.  And they are finding people to fill those spots! And don't think this is some mere 'paying your dues' experience type of thing.  It is exploitation.   If it weren't for myself and the half dozen decent folks I know, I'd say they all had it coming... but let's not forget that decent 2% out there.  Imagine what the laws and courts would be like if No One was fighting the good fight anymore. 

And just cause there is more rant in me...  The quality of legal service provided has also plummeted.  I'm 3 years in, 106 cases without a loss.  I'm not THAT good.  Unless the last names match, and not even all the time then, no one seems interested in actually passing along systemic legal instruction.  I know a half dozen exceptions, but they were sought out and basically won over.  I had a very prestigious internship with very prestigious fellow interns from very prestigious schools.  Nothing was expected from them and with one other exception, that is what they provided and that is what they learned.  It rankles me to this day.   

Academic Creep: More 'free money' (guaranteed unlimited academic gov loans), More NEED for that money and more need to switch the focus from practice prep to academics. 

Outsourcing the bottom of the pyramid: Also further chipped by the paralegal and legal assistant.  No need for a Jr. Assoc that could get uppity when you can have a permanent low paid employee you have do the same
work.  This is a huge factor for the debasement of the profession and offices set a low bar for quality and stay there.

Resume Flooding: This fits with I'd have no problem if they were competent.  Same thing with the IT field.  Fake it till you make it, so folks put in for jobs they aren't qualified for with full knowledge the employers have no intention of instruction.

There would be more ranting, but I've got to run off for a meeting.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
I agree with Ned's rant.  This has been an issue since I graduated and that was almost 10 years ago.  My experience with a large firm soured me enough that I will never go back.  At this point, I work for myself and while it can be feast or famine, I like it.

Here is Michigan, one of the problems is that there are just too many law schools.  We have the largest private law school in the country (Cooley) and they seem to be opening up a new campus every month. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
While I like my job, and also liked being a prosecutor, and have no regrets at the path I chose, I'm not so sure I would do it again if I knew then what I know now...

I'm 18 years into the job, paying off student loans at almost $2,000 a month.  They sell you those loans on the premise that you would get out starting at $50K-$75K a year, buy a house, take out a home equity loan, pay off the loans, and take a deduction on the payments.

I started out at $25K, and am now making $75K after 18 years.  The house we bought for $120,000 had the value plummet from $190,000 appraisal by the bank to $135,000 when the bubble popped (thankfully before we did the loan).

Too far too many who don't know, or buy the crap the law schools sell, a law degree is a key to open the door to the life of fame and fortune.  The reality is that it is an expensive degree that can get you a decent job, making no more than most other college degrees.   
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
My experience with a large firm soured me enough that I will never go back. 

One of the happiest days in my life was when I left the big mega-firm after five years and started doing in-house healthcare work.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
Ahhhh, the market moves it's invisible hand once again.

Too many JD graduates flood the market, wages (price) goes down, while demand is stable, if not falling (I know a few ex-couples that are holding off on divorce proceedings simply because they cannot afford it.)

And yes, because of the glut, there are JD's doing paralegal work simply to have a job.

It breaks my heart.   >:D >:D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »
^^^ And I don't think it is going to recover any time soon.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »
Ahhhh, the market moves it's invisible hand once again.

The invisible hand isn't so harsh.  Change in Ethics/Practice which outsourced a 1/3 of jobs, Gov Loan Nonsense, and Nefarious Academic Institution Practices. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
It also just leads to more lawyer looking for new ways to siphon make money. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »
One of the happiest days in my life was when I left the big mega-firm after five years and started doing in-house healthcare work.

At some point, it dawned on me how much revenue I was bringing in versus how much I was actually paid. 

I am the only lawyer in a relatively small town.  My cases may not be the most exciting, but I am happier now. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
The invisible hand isn't so harsh.  
Actually it is.

Changes in ethics/practice which outsource 1/3 jobs.
That would be the market finding lower cost substitutes.

Gov Loan Nonsense
And that would .gov creating an oversupply due to *Free* student loans.  Funny how whenever the .gov, especially the Fed.gov, gets involved things go from bad to worse.

Nefarious Academic Institution Practices.
What?  Harping their "product" by touting the most successful of their graduates while hiding the "lower performers"  in the background (noise)?  Are you accusing them of illegal practices or simply amoral advertising/ and grading/graduation policies?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
What?  Harping their "product" by touting the most successful of their graduates while hiding the "lower performers"  in the background (noise)?  Are you accusing them of illegal practices or simply amoral advertising/ and grading/graduation policies?

Well, they ARE run by a bunch of lawyers...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 09:58:35 PM »
Actually it is.
That would be the market finding lower cost substitutes.
And that would .gov creating an oversupply due to *Free* student loans.  Funny how whenever the .gov, especially the Fed.gov, gets involved things go from bad to worse.
What?  Harping their "product" by touting the most successful of their graduates while hiding the "lower performers"  in the background (noise)?  Are you accusing them of illegal practices or simply amoral advertising/ and grading/graduation policies?

Even tech breakthroughs tend to take a while to phase out the things they replace.  The need for legal services has expanded. The 'market' didn't find  lower cost substitutes, the market changed by a rules change; to wit the definition of 'in office' or 'in house.'  Suddenly they included foreign businesses and then even foreign businesses hiring other businesses.  Given how drastic confidentiality rules are, I cannot parse how sending reams of material internationally is kosher.  Outsourcing matters that require direct control. 

The problem with gov educational loans goes even deeper than over supply as they have actually removed basic consumer protections from loan recipients.  And I don't just mean bankruptcy.  But that is a whole other topic. 

As for the academic institutions themselves; yes, ALL the accusations. Not all schools, but enough to be a valid concern.  The thing about having an entire school of lawyers  is that the terms of employment often include representation for the school.  And Profs don't just do the work themselves, they make students do it as well.  Any legal challenge to a law school unleashes a tsunami of legal paperwork of wildly varying quality that even major cities with fully staffed legal teams dread standing against. 

So yes... things aren't just bad, they are terrible. 

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 10:03:26 PM »
At some point, it dawned on me how much revenue I was bringing in versus how much I was actually paid. 

I am the only lawyer in a relatively small town.  My cases may not be the most exciting, but I am happier now. 

Remember the old joke "A small town that can't support one lawyer can always support two."
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 01:47:41 AM »
Being half way through a jury duty stint and having had the dubious pleasure of listening to tile crawlers in full flight I now have even less respect for the species than I did before.

Which is an amazingly hard thing to do as I had absolutely no respect for them to begin with =D =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »
Well, they ARE run by a bunch of lawyers...

Most of the administrators of law school are not lawyers.  They have the same background as administrators of other colleges and universities. 

Many of them lie and misstate their numbers to make it look better than it actually is.  It is more than just focusing on the successful graduates. 

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »
Remember the old joke "A small town that can't support one lawyer can always support two."

I don't think I have heard that joke.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »

I don't think it's actually a joke.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »

You have now  :P

Good luck finding a job out of law school

Fixed  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/samuel-browning-and-michael-leichter-flow-chart-2013-10

I think this is surprisingly accurate and should be dated, signed and attached to your law school application to certify that you still want to apply nonetheless.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
I didn't realize when I started working on an accounting/business degree, that you have to work for a CPA firm doing audits for a year in order to get your CPA cert after taking the test.  :facepalm:

Plus that auditing requires almost constant travel, which might be okay if you are single and just out of college and like to party.  In fact the CPA firm recruiters basically said that partying with the crew every night was virtually required for "team spirit" blah blah blah.  Not exactly a preferred lifestyle when you are 40 and married and have mid-school age kids  =(

Fortunately, I also took a lot of computer classes.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 08:24:23 PM »
Things are tough for law school graduation just like other professional degrees.  The economy has been short sheeted by our rulers.  But never fear.  Law is the one profession that can go out and create its own industry.  I cite asbestos litigation as the first and biggest. Then there is cigarettes.  Gas cans is the most recent addition though there are a number of industries with which I am not familiar.  Seems to me the most likely industry on the horizon will be identity theft associated with Obamacare.  One could imagine the federales imposing tort reform in this case but I doubt it. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 05:44:29 AM »
When you factor in student loans, it's getting to a place where getting anything above a bachleor's degree in any field isn't worth it....even tech school grads end up making more than college grads in the first five years....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »