Author Topic: Please Help - Need Food (but not cigarettes)  (Read 7340 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Please Help - Need Food (but not cigarettes)
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:12:16 AM »
As I pulled into the grocery store parking lot yesterday afternoon, I saw a 'homeless" couple sitting under a tree in a parking lot median holding up "need food -- anything helps" signs. Both of them were smoking cigarettes. Both when I went into the store and when I left, so they obviously had a supply.

Question 1: How much food does a couple of packs of cigarettes buy if you are, in fact, homeless?
Question 2: How stupid are the people who give these two, probably not homeless people, money?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Please Help - Need Food (but not cigarettes)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »
Back when I did social work, I had a co-worker that would sit down with clients and calculate how much they spent on things like beer and cigarettes.  Some of them could easily have afforded things like a decent car, clothes for their kids, or even an upgrade in housing.  It is all about choices.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
If I were a vegetarian, I could eat off of about $10 a week.  We have a farmer's market here in Mesa that is crazy-inexpensive for produce.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
i can not count the folks i know in 12 step programs who get ebt etc but find plenty of cash for beer and weed  sometimes selling their ebt
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
I see child support cases from time to time where people come in complaining that they can barely afford to eat, much less pay their support.  All too often, I can smell the smoke on their paperwork.

What is it, about $5 a pack, more or less.  Do a pack a day, 365 a year, and you're looking at $1,825.  That's about $40 a week.  Shopping with care, you could survive on that.  Wouldn't want to do it for long, but it is doable.  heck, at one point when I was a poor student, my budget was around $800 a month, for rent, utilities, insurance, fuel, and food.  I still managed to buy enough beer and ammo to keep life entertaining.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
^^^ I am not entirely certain, because neither I nor any of my family smoke, but I think that here in Washington state, with all the state and Federal taxes, a typical pack of cigarettes costs approximately $ 9.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
What is it, about $5 a pack, more or less.  Do a pack a day, 365 a year, and you're looking at $1,825.  That's about $40 a week.  Shopping with care, you could survive on that.  Wouldn't want to do it for long, but it is doable.  heck, at one point when I was a poor student, my budget was around $800 a month, for rent, utilities, insurance, fuel, and food.  I still managed to buy enough beer and ammo to keep life entertaining.

When I was a poor college student, I rolled my own cigarettes. This was prior to Obama's 2252.72% increase on loose tobacco tax. No, that is not a typo. Used to be a tax of $1.10 per pound of loose tobacco, now it's $24.78. Still far cheaper than regular tobacco, but not quite the bargain it once was.

Funny thing is, smokers pay their own weight already. States are rather upset at folks quitting, turning to the black market or finding alternatives like e-cigarettes.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
Back when I did social work, I had a co-worker that would sit down with clients and calculate how much they spent on things like beer and cigarettes. 

Don't forget lottery tickets.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »
Back when I did social work, I had a co-worker that would sit down with clients and calculate how much they spent on things like beer and cigarettes.  Some of them could easily have afforded things like a decent car, clothes for their kids, or even an upgrade in housing.  It is all about choices.
Some years back, Consumer Reports did a series of stories about "living on the edge" which was a lament about how tough it was to be poor and keep your kids fed, when you have to budget for booze, butts, gifts, lotto tickets, and other "necessities."

They got a lot of angry letters in response - people subscribed to CR to get product tests, not social commentary - and almost every letter mentioned the poor choices being made by their case studies. (I suspect the editor of the "Letters" page wasn't too happy with the social commentary articles either, considering the sampling of letters that made it into print.) Eventually, after a wave of cancellations, CR got back to product reviews.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »
There are so many of those expensive indulgences that I do not indulge in, that I should be able to live for free on the money that I'm saving   :facepalm:

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »
When I was a poor college student, I rolled my own cigarettes. This was prior to Obama's 2252.72% increase on loose tobacco tax. No, that is not a typo. Used to be a tax of $1.10 per pound of loose tobacco, now it's $24.78. Still far cheaper than regular tobacco, but not quite the bargain it once was.

Funny thing is, smokers pay their own weight already. States are rather upset at folks quitting, turning to the black market or finding alternatives like e-cigarettes.

Holy sheepdip, Batman!

My grandfolks used to roll their own to save money. I remember Prince Albert in the red can with the flip-top lid.  Every once in a while grandpa would give me an empty can and I would fill it with marbles, & little kid doo-dads and get a whiff of tobacco every time I opened it.

With those sorts of extortionate taxes, I would have zero problem with folks smuggling.  (The smugglers having a better moral case than the revenuers.)  And I wonder if home-production of tobacco is up?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
There are so many of those expensive indulgences that I do not indulge in, that I should be able to live for free on the money that I'm saving   :facepalm:

=D

Amen, brother!  I don't smoke, gamble, chase loose women or drink to excess.  I am going to sure feel stupid dying of nothing some day.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »
"States are rather upset at folks quitting, turning to the black market or finding alternatives like e-cigarettes."

Some years ago New York raised the hell out of the state taxes on cigs and all of the pols were talking about how wonderful a thing it would be because it would get a lot of people to stop smoking.

Then people stopped smoking, or if they kept smoking, they drove to another, cheaper, state or to one of the Indian reservations.

It didn't take the pols long to start screaming about the loss of tax revenue, and yet no one called them on their lies.

Stopping smoking is one of the things I'm going to address in the coming year. I figure that if the anti-smoking drugs are now covered by Obamacare, I might as well take advantage of them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
Stopping smoking is one of the things I'm going to address in the coming year. I figure that if the anti-smoking drugs are now covered by Obamacare, I might as well take advantage of them.

Quitting smoking was one of the best things I ever did for myself. Good luck!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »

Some years ago New York raised the hell out of the state taxes on cigs and all of the pols were talking about how wonderful a thing it would be because it would get a lot of people to stop smoking.

Wasn't there some kind of "loophole market" started there after that (either NY or NYC)? I seem to recall reading that somehow loose tobacco was not included in the tax hike, so a bunch of tobacco shops opened up where people just bought tobacco and paper and rolled their own cigs, escaping the tax.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
^^^ There are (or were) a number of such places in the Seattle area.  I think I remember reading fairly recently that most of them are gone due to changes in either state or Federal tax law that largely negated any cost savings of using these places as opposed to buying commercial pre-made cigarettes.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
^^^ There are (or were) a number of such places in the Seattle area.  I think I remember reading fairly recently that most of them are gone due to changes in either state or Federal tax law that largely negated any cost savings of using these places as opposed to buying commercial pre-made cigarettes.

2252.72% tax hike. Not quite entirely negated, but largely reduced, yes. There was also a tax hike of 2750.27% on small cigars. And people are screaming bloody murder that pipe tobacco tax only increased 257.27%.

Also, tax on commercial cigarettes is approximately $22.88 per pound of tobacco or $50.33 per 1,000 cigarettes, which Obama wants to raise to $97.65 per 1,000 cigarettes. He also wants a further near doubling of taxes on all other forms of tobacco. So we'll probably be looking at a 4000% tax raise on RYO tobacco since around 2009.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:32:41 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
"States are rather upset at folks quitting, turning to the black market or finding alternatives like e-cigarettes."

Then people stopped smoking, or if they kept smoking, they drove to another, cheaper, state or to one of the Indian reservations.

It didn't take the pols long to start screaming about the loss of tax revenue, and yet no one called them on their lies.

NYC and Chicago have the highest cigarette taxes in the US. A carton of name brand cigarettes is $110 to $120 before sales tax in both cities, compared to $45 to $50 here in AL, and $50 to $60 elsewhere.

The most recent study I saw says that 60% of cigarettes sold in NYC are smuggled in from other states. Gangs that  previously sold cocaine have moved to cigarettes, as the profits are just as good, and the penalties are misdemeanor rather than felony.

I remember in the 1990's when Canada jacked cigarette taxes through the roof. There were so many people smuggling cigarettes in from the US that the Canadian government lost billions in tax revenues. Their solution was to lower the tax to increase tax revenues.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »
I'm glad I quit when I did (when they hit $2 a pack).  I remember buying a carton of cigarettes (with my ration card) at the Class VI store in the late 1980's for $8 or $9 a carton.  Now that's what a pack costs.   Unbelievable.

And I knew a few folks that went to Roll Your Own when Illinois, Cook County and Chicago all jumped on the "Let's take money from smokers !!  Everyone hates them !!  And we'll outlaw smoking in bars, etc."  Then bemoaned the fact that they took in less revenue.  (This is my shocked face.)

Then when Obama did his 2200% tax increase on loose tobacco, they do the mail order from Indian Reservations thing.  The invisible hand continues to work no matter how hard the bureaucrats try to stop it.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »
A "friend of a friend" used to arrange for cigarettes to be mailed from Switzerland to somewhere in the US. It was legal to have possession of ONE carton of duty free cigarettes, as I recall but IANAL. So a couple buddies that didn't smoke got a package of smokes in the mail once a month.

Cost delivered, duty free version? $15 per carton. Store price? $50 per carton.

Some of us honestly did consider becoming cigarette smugglers. If you had only a small stash and managed to somehow get caught, it was a manageable fine. Only way they can (at the time) shut down cigarette smugglers was via conspiracy and RICO. That's not considering how easy it was to forge tax stamps on packs of smokes, which few of the smugglers bother with. You do a decent forge job on the tax stamp, and you could sell them in the small independent corner stores. Split the markup between the store owner and the smugglers, you're talking $2 per pack gross profit. Doesn't sound like much. But $20 per carton adds up quick.  

We talked it over while drinking, but we were too much honest citizens to do it. Probably the closest I came to criminal enterprise here in the US.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:34:04 PM by RevDisk »

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »
But government intervention in <insert facet of economy> will increase access, lower costs, and improve quality!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »
I pay about $70 every two weeks for two cartons.

Seriously debating getting one of those fake ciggerette started sets instead of a second carton on friday.

If they keep hiking up the taxes on tobbacco, and people keep quiting, they're gonna have to legalize pot to make up in lost revenue.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
A "friend of a friend" used to arrange for cigarettes to be mailed from Switzerland to somewhere in the US. It was legal to have possession of ONE carton of duty free cigarettes, as I recall but IANAL. So a couple buddies that didn't smoke got a package of smokes in the mail once a month.

Cost delivered, duty free version? $15 per carton. Store price? $50 per carton.

Some of us honestly did consider becoming cigarette smugglers. If you had only a small stash and managed to somehow get caught, it was a manageable fine. Only way they can (at the time) shut down cigarette smugglers was via conspiracy and RICO. That's not considering how easy it was to forge tax stamps on packs of smokes, which few of the smugglers bother with. You do a decent forge job on the tax stamp, and you could sell them in the small independent corner stores. Split the markup between the store owner and the smugglers, you're talking $2 per pack gross profit. Doesn't sound like much. But $20 per carton adds up quick.  

We talked it over while drinking, but we were too much honest citizens to do it. Probably the closest I came to criminal enterprise here in the US.

Given that's it the BATFEIO doing the enforcing, you could run your operation out of their DC Headquarters breakroom and never get caught.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/26/us-atf-misplaced-420-million-cigarettes-in-stings/?intcmp=latestnews
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
"First they came for the cigarettes,  and I did nothing..."

My first call to action was when they were planning on banning clove cigarettes.   I wrote my reps, to no avail.  Now you can get clove cigarillos that are almost identical, as long as the antis don't catch on, of course.

As a pipe smoker, primarily, I have not noticed any drastic price increases.  I did not know about the tax increases Rev mentioned.  I can still get a month's supply of Frog Morton for less than $12, so I'm content for now.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Now, if you're moving more than a certain number of cigarettes and you get caught, it's a federal felony (I think it's 6000 packs, or 600 cartons). Chicago has a reward for people who turn in others who are selling bootleg cigarettes.

For about a year I ordered cigs out of Switzerland, and saved a lot of money. Then the state of WI and other states "persuaded" one of the online retailers to give up their customer list. The state sent out letters to people on the list informing them of the unpaid taxes they owed on the cigarettes they'd bought. I was sweating that, because it would have cost me over $6000 in taxes if I'd been on that list.