Author Topic: Who wants to work in a place like this?  (Read 2396 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Who wants to work in a place like this?
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/15/amazon-sued-over-20-minute-unpaid-daily-security-s/

What a *expletive deleted*it-hole.

Wanded, magnetometers?  Entering and leaving, and during lunch breaks?  And not paid while undergoing it?

I'm guessing it's to prevent product loss due to theft, but it's insulting as hell and reminiscent of the scenes in Deadwood where Hurst's outfit is doing rectal probes to Dutch mine workers to see if they're trying to steal gold.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Who wants to work in a place like this?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »
How is it taking 10-20 minutes to do a wand check?  ??? Is that an accumulative for all security checks throughout the entire day maybe?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
How is it taking 10-20 minutes to do a wand check?  ??? Is that an accumulative for all security checks throughout the entire day maybe?

Waiting in line ....?

A few years ago I interviewed for a software job inside the federal building in Billings. 

They told me that once you get your employee id card that they just let you walk through  =|

I do have to say that the federal deputy marshalls are much more pleasant than TSA.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
I kind of wish UPS did this instead of passing the cost of employee thefts on to its customers....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »
My bet is that Amazon will lose the case. Pretty standard for employers have to pay employees for time the employers require the employees to be doing something even if it is waiting in a line.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:06:44 PM »
My bet is that Amazon will lose the case. Pretty standard for employers have to pay employees for time the employers require the employees to be doing something even if it is waiting in a line.

Yep. Implement a workplace policy and tell me to follow it? I should be doing it on the clock.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
Yep. Implement a workplace policy and tell me to follow it? I should be doing it on the clock.

This.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
“As a result of the compensation practice utilized by defendants, warehouse workers are not compensated for all time during which they were required to be on the premises of the Amazon Fulfillment Center.”

I concur with everyone else. If you require them to be somewhere and do something at work, it is on the clock and should be paid. AFAIK, that's basic law. If it's work, you must be paid.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »
^^^ +1. I have read a bushel of case law on this very subject.  Usually things like paid time to change into the company-required uniform, or to don personal protective equipment or the like.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Hourly employees should be paid for all the time they're at work - and if the employer requires them to stand around and be screened, it should be on the clock.

FURTHER . . . if they're supposed to have a certain amount of time for lunch, the screening time should NOT be subtracted from their designated lunch time.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
At the beginning of every shift I go down to the Security Forces vault to draw my weapons and equipment, and turn them in at the end of the shift.  My employer pays us an extra quarter hour each shift to cover the time it takes to do this.  There was never any discussion of whether or not we deserved to be paid for this time.

On the other hand, as a reservist in the Air National Guard, I'm expected to complete mandatory Career Development Courses of about 80 hours each on my own time.  I did mine at work when the base was closed, so I got paid anyway, but many reservists are not happy about spending so much unpaid time doing mandatory coursework.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
At the beginning of every shift I go down to the Security Forces vault to draw my weapons and equipment, and turn them in at the end of the shift.  My employer pays us an extra quarter hour each shift to cover the time it takes to do this.  There was never any discussion of whether or not we deserved to be paid for this time.

On the other hand, as a reservist in the Air National Guard, I'm expected to complete mandatory Career Development Courses of about 80 hours each on my own time.  I did mine at work when the base was closed, so I got paid anyway, but many reservists are not happy about spending so much unpaid time doing mandatory coursework.

Employment and liability laws don't apply to US military personnel.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't legal.  :P  I'm just saying it isn't easy for some reservists to find time to do coursework on top of a full-time civilian job.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
^^^ +1. I have read a bushel of case law on this very subject.  Usually things like paid time to change into the company-required uniform, or to don personal protective equipment or the like.

Really? Interesting. I'm expected to be in uniform by the start of my shift, and not change into normal clothes until after the end of my shift. Employer provided uniform, kept on site. Never been strictly enforced that I know of, but good information to have if it ever comes to that.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
Really? Interesting. I'm expected to be in uniform by the start of my shift, and not change into normal clothes until after the end of my shift. Employer provided uniform, kept on site. Never been strictly enforced that I know of, but good information to have if it ever comes to that.

Are you allowed to take/wear the uniform to/from work?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Who wants to work in a place like this?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
yup
ask geico

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
Are you allowed to take/wear the uniform to/from work?

They pay a service to launder them, so I could take them but then I'd be on the hook to clean them. And taking the bus or a motorcycle most days, having to lug clothes that are dirty/greasy/soaked in chemicals/covered in sewage etc would be a pain.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
They pay a service to launder them, so I could take them but then I'd be on the hook to clean them. And taking the bus or a motorcycle most days, having to lug clothes that are dirty/greasy/soaked in chemicals/covered in sewage etc would be a pain.

Okay, they may argue that it's your choice to have to change onsite before/after work.  When I worked at the gas station, I just wore the Conoco shirt to/from work and brought them in for laundry once a week.

When I worked at the Chevy dealer I wore my own clothes as I recall.  But the mechanics usually showered and changed after work.  They worked strictly on commission (flat rate) anyway so I guess that the time was no big deal.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
I don't know how they would approach that. The standard is to leave the uniform at work, anything else would be an unusual individual decision. /shrug Hasn't really come up either way.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
I don't know how they would approach that. The standard is to leave the uniform at work, anything else would be an unusual individual decision. /shrug Hasn't really come up either way.

I don't suppose that you'd want to wear your own clothes in that environment anyway.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »
Amazon could say screw it and make all the warehouse employees salary exempt.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »
I bet when Amazon first started the checks it was just half a minute or so, but slowly got more involved.  Sounds like they need to move the Time clock to the other side of security.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 12:44:36 AM »
Huh. When I worked security at a Lowes distribution center, we wanded/bag checked every employee in/out at both ends of shift as well as lunch and break times. Intake was usually five minutes or less, provided nobody set off the metal detectors or theft alarms. Exit at the end of day commonly took 20 minutes or so, due to the rush of employees. That was about 400 people or so in a half hour or forty minute span. Lowes certainly did not pay the employees for that time, in fact, if you were late due to check in procedures, you got written up for lateness. Not sayin' it was right, sayin' that's how it was.
Hi.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »
Amazon could say screw it and make all the warehouse employees salary exempt.

No, they can't. There are strict rules about who can be made exempt. Factors such as being allowed discretion in executing your work, flexibility in setting your schedule, being allowed to take time off without being docked, whether or not you have any "management" responsibility ... all play into it.

I once worked at a place for about six months. The job was supposed to be salaried (exempt), not hourly, and I knew that going in. But I also had a signed letter of offer from the company stating that, in general, I was being hired to work 40 hours per week. The nature of the work was somewhat crunch--slack--crunch--slack, so I expected and could put up with a couple of late nights once in awhile. But -- I had to attend in-service classes to maintain a license/certification, and they started docking me for the time I spent attending mandatory classes. And, even though I (and everyone!) was supposedly "exempt," they paid me (and us) for overtime -- but at straight time, not time-and-a-half.

After another personnel/human resources stunt they pulled, I quit -- and since work was scarce at the time and they had recruited me from a solid job I otherwise would have still been in, I felt no qualms about applying for unemployment. They contested it, we went to a hearing, and the hearing officer ruled that their various departures from the terms of their letter and from the terms of their personnel manual constituted "constructive discharge" (in other words, they forced me to quit) and that I would receive compensation. Further, he sent me on to the wages and hours group, who determined that since I was being docked for time off I was not being treated as a salaried employee but as hourly, and therefore they owed me time-and-a-half for all the overtime I had worked at straight time.

Employers can't just say "You're exempt" to everyone on the staff.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design