Author Topic: NC cuts welfare due to shutdown.  (Read 7124 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: NC cuts welfare due to shutdown.
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
Goatee Spock for House Speaker!  You know it would be logical!

You know that in that universe, to get a promotion you would have to kill to get the job.

[peanutgallery]At least we'll know he can kill something other than his party's grassroots turnout![/peanutgallery]

;/

The shutdown accomplished nothing. It wasn't even a Pyrrhic victory. It was forcing a battle that couldn't be won, with no plan for what would be gained by doing so. It was the ultimate in "But they have to do SOMETHING!!!!" We mock liberals for saying that in the wake of a shooting when they propose "solutions" that wouldn't have prevented the incident they cite as justification. But that's exactly what the R's did here. Obamacare is starting, we can't stop it, BUT WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!!!!

What are the negatives that came from this? Conflated debt ceiling increase with Obamacare rollout and the shutdown. Gave the WH an easy out and distraction for the massive failure of O-care, a fundamental violation of never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake. And reinforced the impression inthe minds of low information voters that the GOP has nothing to offer. The only positive was the unbelievable pettiness and stupidity of the administration with Barrycades etc. But that was a happy accident rather than a planned thing.

Goatee Spock it is.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »
So taking actions that actively harm your stated goals is preferrable to letting your enemy hurt himself and preparing to fight on ground of your choosing. Got it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
Okay, I'll play.

What exactly should the GOP have done or be doing to "chip away at what can be achieved'?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Okay, I'll play.

What exactly should the GOP have done or be doing to "chip away at what can be achieved'?

If you can't directly, immediately harm the enemy, shooting yourself just to be "doing something" still doesn't make sense.

O-care is a giant cluster. They could be beating the wardrums on that, harping on the lack of a budget, talking up the debt ceiling, hammering on the expansion of NSA spying, putting up pictures of all the innocent children Obama has blown up with drones etc.  They could (this is shocking I know) actually develop and sell reasonable solutions and alternatives that are realistically achievable. Instead they managed to make themselves look foolish and impotent by trying to accomplish something that was not politically possible.

Politics, like it or not, is largely about image and perception and trust. The GOP can't message to save its life, and no matter how stupid and evil the administration is they somehow manage to handle their response so badly that they look like the bad guys. It's not that hard, if they're too stupid to manage it on their own just copy everything the left did to Bush.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
I think the shutdown was enormously fruitful.
Obama's and the democrats' contempt for the masses was open and on display for all to see.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
Obama's and the democrats' DC's contempt for the masses was open and on display for all to see.

Fixed.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
Obama's and the democrats' contempt for the masses was open and on display for all to see.
You give too much credit to the masses. Free phones and healthcare yeah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
If you can't directly, immediately harm the enemy, shooting yourself just to be "doing something" still doesn't make sense.

O-care is a giant cluster. They could be beating the wardrums on that, harping on the lack of a budget, talking up the debt ceiling, hammering on the expansion of NSA spying, putting up pictures of all the innocent children Obama has blown up with drones etc.  They could (this is shocking I know) actually develop and sell reasonable solutions and alternatives that are realistically achievable. Instead they managed to make themselves look foolish and impotent by trying to accomplish something that was not politically possible.

Politics, like it or not, is largely about image and perception and trust. The GOP can't message to save its life, and no matter how stupid and evil the administration is they somehow manage to handle their response so badly that they look like the bad guys. It's not that hard, if they're too stupid to manage it on their own just copy everything the left did to Bush.

I retort that the GOP isn't allowed to message. The MSM won't allow them.   Did you hear anything about the GOP's counter-proposal to Obamacare? They had one.  (do a google search on GOP Alternative to Obamacare.  The only one I saw from anything close to the MSM was a Yahoo article.)

What about all the bills the passed funding various parts of the .gov except Obamacare?

Rand Paul filibustered about Drones calling on Obama to promise not to drone Americans.  He was labeled a 'nutjob" for that.

My congressman has been hammering Obama on the lack of budgets.

They even tried to hammer him on not be willing to negotiate unless he gave them everything he wanted first.

I saw where the were 142 MSM reports on the shutdown.  121 blame Republicans, 21 were neutral (not blaming either side) and ZERO blamed the Democrats.  ZERO  And that does NOT include the NYT, Chicago Tribune or LA Times, et al.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »
That's a pretty pathetic excuse. "Oh wah wah, the enemy is opposing me!" Of course they are. The media is hard left and always will be. Doing something stupid and pointless that accomplishes nothing is a way to remedy the media's bias how again? Obama didn't have to manufacture a distraction from his failures, the GOP handed him one. Reagan, for all his faults, knew how to message. The media was just as biased in his day, and there was no Fox News or internet alternatives. But instead of bitching and moaning about how those big ole meanies in the press weren't fair he put on his goddamn big boy pants and made it happen in spite of them.

Again, I don't really see how "Well the media won't report if we do smart stuff so let's just do dumb stuff instead" is a sound battle plan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 05:53:55 PM »
I think the problem is that the GOP "leadership" was listening to the wrong media....

While the MSM (FOX included) preached that the GOP were losing the fight, the Internet and social media showed a drastically different view. Ted Cruz's tweets and FB posts got more likes than the MSM evening news got viewers. Add Rand Paul, Sarah Palin, Mike Lee, and all the pages & blogs devoted to their positions....and you can't ignore the loudness of those voices. And the blogs....Obama couldn't drum up near that much support even if he could raise all the dead in Illinois....

Unfortunately, the old fogeys leading the GOP can't even check their e-mail without help, much less keep up with the Internet. When they think "journalist", they think of Helen Thomas...not Breitbart. And it will keep happening as long as the GOP is led by people who look for acceptance from liberal-controlled media instead of looking at the media that is open to all....

...and the only way that will change would be a sudden mass die-off of all GOP members over the age of 60......BTW, does anyone have a few vials of Spanish Flu saved for a rainy day?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.