Author Topic: Don't hunt octopus in Seattle, even if it is legal  (Read 3807 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Don't hunt octopus in Seattle, even if it is legal
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
I'll be honest, when reading the start of that narrative, I was rooting for the octopus.   >:D
I'm just picturing the fight between man and octopus. Man trying to strangle the octopus in particularly amusing.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Re: Re: Don't hunt octopus in Seattle, even if it is legal
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
I'm just picturing the fight between man and octopus. Man trying to strangle the octopus in particularly amusing.

Sent via tapatalk

About 50 years ago I read a kid's adventure book about some guy trying to do underwater salvage.  Among other things he had to fight an octopus to get the treasure.  Seriously scary!   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Don't hunt octopus in Seattle, even if it is legal
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
Tallpine, I think I read the same or a similar story (though not 50 years ago).

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 06:46:08 PM »
So how tough are those critters? Could the average dude expect to take on a 9-foot octopus, and win? I guess a lot would depend on how close it was to the surface.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »
I pride myself on being able to eat damned near anything - especially after all my survival schools.

However, I've never been able to really enjoy squid or octopus. 

Maybe it wasn't prepared right when I tried it, but IMHO there are better food critters to wrestle with in the quest for a meal...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »
I really like squid, and it doubles as fish bait!! I always carried a can of something in my LPA when flying. A lot of times it was either smoked oysters or smoked octopus. It was best on those hot, bouncy flights down low, because then I could try to share it!  ;)

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
I've only had calamari, but I liked it.

But then again, if you fry it right, pretty much anything is good. :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
Tallpine, I think I read the same or a similar story (though not 50 years ago).

Chris

Standard fair.  Like the stories in those men's magazines with the lurid covers, only they took out the heaving bosoms and sltry eyes.

Giant clams drowning poor pearl divers, barracudas as "man-eaters", giant grouper swallowing a diver whole.

Good times. =)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
I really like squid, and it doubles as fish bait!! I always carried a can of something in my LPA when flying. A lot of times it was either smoked oysters or smoked octopus. It was best on those hot, bouncy flights down low, because then I could try to share it!  ;)

bob

I think you must have gone to the same gross-out school as Doc (HM1) Caldwell. He would always have something smoked or pickled on hand when we jumped with the Army and did low-levels in the C-130s.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 09:49:21 PM »
So how tough are those critters? Could the average dude expect to take on a 9-foot octopus, and win? I guess a lot would depend on how close it was to the surface.

I'll be glad to hold your beer if you want to give it a try  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin