Author Topic: Leonardo DiCaprio as Teddy Roosevelt???  (Read 2805 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Leonardo DiCaprio as Teddy Roosevelt???
« on: August 30, 2006, 01:19:15 PM »
IMDB is showing a movie on Teddy Roosevelt coming out in 08 with DiCaprio as Teddy. I'm somewhat dissapointed. I'm a big fan of Roosevelt, having enjoyed many of his books. DiCaprio just seems too, I don't know -- metrosexual to play the part.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mfree

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:42:01 PM »
He did a hell of a job with Howard Hughes... I think he can pull it off.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:50:51 PM »
DeCaprio seems a little, well, borderline personality-that is, after having played the role, it seems to linger with him for quite a while afterwards.  Maybe after the picture opens he'll go on safari and declare war on Cuba!   Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »
Whole bunch to be said 'bout the most amazing actors and artists being *quite* unstable in the real world.  

Thin line between brilliance and insanity.

After seeing him in Aviator, DiCaprio is a legitimate talent.
He'll do a bang-up job of TR.

...although I would rather see several others in the role.  Russell Crowe comes to mind.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 04:32:13 PM »
Crowe? Look at the younger photos of Mr. Roosevelt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_roosevelt

Also remember Teddy was only 5'8 1/2" tall. And also that he was only 42 when he was appointed President after McKinley's death.

EDIT: Also have to add "speak softly and carry a big stick"... Roosevelt was asthmatic, to severe proportions in his youth.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 04:45:20 PM »
Sure looks to me like Crowe could be a ringer without much makeup, just a whole bunch o' taters to bulk up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 05:07:12 PM »
I actually thought Tom Berenger did a good job in Rough Riders, and he looks similar to Teddy. I agree DiCaprio was good in Aviator, but even playing "young and sickly" TR, he just doesn't fit the role IMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »
You could be surprised.

TR had that round smooth boyish face. With a good accent, the glasses and the mustache, he might just pull it off.

Watching DiCaprio in "The Aviator" was like watching Brad Pitt in "Twelve Monkeys". Both roles were sufficient to push them out of the "pretty boy" category of actor into the "talent" category forever.

It might sound like sacriliage, but I have to give the likes of DiCaprio props over other "greats" like Nicholson. Nicholson just plays "Nicholson" in every role he's ever had on screen, his "range" is just realy levels of intensity...
I promise not to duck.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 11:33:44 PM »
Depends how old Teddy is meant to be in the picture. Crowe is getting on a bit to play a young, young man but make up would allow playing somewhere in the 30's to somewhere much older (see A Beautiful Mind)

DiCaprio (after whole bunch of taters, which is something he did for Gangs of New York) might make a better choice for a younger Teddy. Also, it wasn't The Aviator that made me realise he had talent. It was What's Eating Gilbert Grape which I saw after seeing Romeo and Juliet, although he made it earlier, that made me realise that he was a little more than just the latest movie pretty boy.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

LAK

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 12:46:57 AM »
Hollywood has often been very good sometimes at seriously miscasting people for significant or particularly interesting character roles; probably in the interests of backscratching.

Although a far from recent film, another that comes to mind is Peter Lawford cast as Lord Lovat commanding British No.4 Commando in The Longest Day.

----------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 12:54:07 AM »
After watching Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds, I'll give Leonardo the benefit of the doubt.  He may well to the role justice.  I was not that impressed with him in Romeo and Juliet, but found his work in Titannic of sufficient caliber not to dismiss him offhand.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 07:36:23 AM »
The women in the office recently voted DiCaprio as "Most likely to look good in drag."  (WHY they were doing this, I've no idea . . . and I was afraid to ask if they did the same rating of their male colleagues!)

DiCaprio as TR? . . . Uh uh.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
Quote from: Iain
Depends how old Teddy is meant to be in the picture. Crowe is getting on a bit to play a young, young man but make up would allow playing somewhere in the 30's to somewhere much older (see A Beautiful Mind)

DiCaprio (after whole bunch of taters, which is something he did for Gangs of New York) might make a better choice for a younger Teddy. Also, it wasn't The Aviator that made me realise he had talent. It was What's Eating Gilbert Grape which I saw after seeing Romeo and Juliet, although he made it earlier, that made me realise that he was a little more than just the latest movie pretty boy.
Crowe was amazing in A Beautiful Mind.

DiCaprio was amazing in G o NY, but I TOTALLY agree the role he played at a VERY young age in Gilbert Grape alongside Depp was extremely predictive of his potential!

Well said, Iain!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 06:18:24 AM »
The problem with Gangs of New York was that I kept rooting for my ancestors...
Blog under construction

M67

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 12:09:34 PM »
Maybe after the picture opens he'll go on safari and declare war on Cuba!
Or more likely charge San Juan Hill every time he sees a staircase?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »
^Cool movie/theatrical reference...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 06:41:50 AM »
Maybe after the picture opens he'll go on safari and declare war on Cuba!
Or more likely charge San Juan Hill every time he sees a staircase?
I'll be worried if he starts to dig the Panama Canal in the basement...
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 09:30:03 AM »
Edward Norton or Rick Schroeder would look more like a young TR than DiCaprio....

Leo could do a passable Bill Clinton, though.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.