Author Topic: Dallas PD lied about shooting of mentally ill man (On Video) Title Edited  (Read 32454 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Uh-oh: surveillance camera shows Dallas PD lied about shooting of mentally ill man

Link to Video and Story

Today, Cardan Spencer and Christopher Watson are officers with the Dallas Police Department. If there is any justice at all in Texas courts, they will soon be prison inmates:
Family and friends of a mentally ill Rylie man want answers after a Dallas police officer shot him for no apparent reason Monday in broad daylight outside his home.
A police report says that Officer Cardan Spencer fired on Bobby Gerald Bennett, 52, after Bennett walked toward him and his partner with a “knife raised in an aggressive manner.”
But a neighbor’s video surveillance camera recording shows something different: It shows Bennett, who was seated in a chair, initially rolling back from officers as they advance on him. Bennett then stands up but does not move. His hands remain at his side and he is standing still when Spencer shoots him, firing his service weapon four times.
Bennett remained in the intensive care unit of a Dallas hospital Thursday after being shot in the abdomen.
Spencer and Watson were unaware of the surveillance camera, and claimed that Bennett was advancing upon them with a knife, which the video clearly shows not to be true.
The gunned a man down, and tried to lie about it. There is no place in law enforcement for men such as these.

It looks to me like like they shot shot someone who was no threat to them and then lied about it. At least they got to go home that night. ;/

Title edited for correction
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:36:27 AM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Looks Like Murder By Cops (On Video)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
[csd]
serves em right. should have ran away when cops arrived. didnt kowtow deep enough.
[/csd]

There's been a spate of these situations where video evidence shows cops to be raw liars.

Seems prudent to video record any and all interactions with police.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
Well, not quite murder yet....  At least everything I've read says vic is still alive.  But 4 rounds to the gut, that could be a bit dicey.  

Nonetheless, at this point in time they should be charged with attempted murder.  With a possible upgrading of charges if their victim does die.  

Along with a whole other slew of charges relating to lying about the incident

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »
They are probably in more trouble over the lies.
If they told the truth their punishment would be administrative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
They are probably in more trouble over the lies.
If they told the truth their punishment would be administrative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So, it's cool that they tried to outright murder someone, but that they LIED about it, that's a problem. =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »
So, it's cool that they tried to outright murder someone, but that they LIED about it, that's a problem. =|

Not cool, just realistic.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:06:58 PM »
Yeah, they might have claimed something else or some mistake and got protected.  Lying like that means they didn't think they could cover it up and anything they try to say now is suspect.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »
[heavy sarcasm] suspend them with pay! [sarcasm]
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:15:04 PM »
Sure doesn't look good, and lying about it to try to cover it up makes it many times worse.

The guy got up aggressively, but in that scenario (assuming we have sufficient details) given the distances and times involved, even a taser deployment would have been overkill.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »

Our resident LEO apologist is cool with it.  You should be, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
I hope there is enough pressure to actually force the Dallas DA to prosecute. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
I hope there is enough pressure to actually force the Dallas DA to prosecute. 

Is the dude who was shot rich?  The DA has a rep for charging folks at the behest of big money donors.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 12:15:03 AM »
The guy got up aggressively, but in that scenario (assuming we have sufficient details) given the distances and times involved, even a taser deployment would have been overkill.

How does one "Get up aggressively"? He stood up -- and then he stood there until they shot him. He didn't move his right hand. The video was too fuzzy for me to see if he moved or lifted his left hand. He sure as heck didn't move aggressively toward them.

Another example of how 98 percent of cops give the rest a bad name.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 12:37:47 AM »
Well, not quite murder yet....  At least everything I've read says vic is still alive.  But 4 rounds to the gut, that could be a bit dicey.  

Nonetheless, at this point in time they should be charged with attempted murder.  With a possible upgrading of charges if their victim does die.  

Along with a whole other slew of charges relating to lying about the incident

Thanks, wasn't paying enough attention when I put in the title.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 04:15:48 AM »
[csd]
serves em right. should have ran away when cops arrived. didnt kowtow deep enough.
[/csd]

There's been a spate of these situations where video evidence shows cops to be raw liars.

Seems prudent to video record any and all interactions with police.

[csd]
Video recorded your police encounter? You were obviously looking for trouble and/or trying to bait the cops.
[/csd]

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Looks Like Murder By Cops (On Video)
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 07:53:15 AM »

outright murder? really?
thats a bit of a reach even for you.
what i can see,not to be confused with fantasize, cop screwed up.
i think he imagined a move or even used bad trigger discipline. bad shoot
thet lies are a real problem even moreso for the cop who didn't shoot.
i presume they are union?

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 08:10:38 AM »
How does one "Get up aggressively"? He stood up -- and then he stood there until they shot him. He didn't move his right hand. The video was too fuzzy for me to see if he moved or lifted his left hand. He sure as heck didn't move aggressively toward them.
He didn't just stand up, he jumped out of the chair.  I could see that being interpreted as an aggressive move.  If i were talking to someone and they sprang from a chair like that i would consider it to be aggressive.  However, given the apparent distance to the officers and the fact that be stood still afterward there was no immediate threat or reason to go lethal.
Another example of how 98 percent of cops give the rest a bad name.
This makes as much sense as the people who point at news stories of bad gun owners and saying the same sort of thing about us. Beyond ignorant.

• friends
oops just really read the link. they may both walj. i'd need to see rheir actual. statements to know. the dangers of internet journalism. the story quoted a police report not thosr two cops statements. if someone other than them "gilded the lilly" it could go back to a bad shoot and admistrative punishment, or less. when was the shooting?

damn phone

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Dallas PD lied about shooting of mentally ill man (On Video) Title Edited
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »
He didn't just stand up, he jumped out of the chair.  I could see that being interpreted as an aggressive move.  If i were talking to someone and they sprang from a chair like that i would consider it to be aggressive. 

Try shooting them on that basis and see how it works out for you  =|

Just as a note: I can sorta see why some people want to ban guns just based on how armed  cops (re)act to slight provocation.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Re: Re: Looks Like Murder By Cops (On Video)
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »
outright murder? really?
thats a bit of a reach even for you.
what i can see,not to be confused with fantasize, cop screwed up.
i think he imagined a move or even used bad trigger discipline. bad shoot
thet lies are a real problem even moreso for the cop who didn't shoot.
i presume they are union?

damn phone

You shoot someone and see what you get charged with, odds are it would be 1st or 2nd degree murder.  Just because a cop does it, doesn't make it man slaughter, the gun didn't jump into his hand and pull its own trigger. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
He didn't just stand up, he jumped out of the chair.  I could see that being interpreted as an aggressive move. 

Sorry, I have to disagree. I just watched it again after reading your post and I would definitely NOT call what he did "jumping out of the chair." He stood up, he did not "jump out of the chair" -- and then he did NOT make any move toward the cops.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
After looking at the video, he rolled back first when they got out of the car and then stood up.  There wasn't anything I would have taken as a threat. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »
[sarcasm]Police randomly shooting people, out of incompetence or malice, is just the price we pay for them keeping us safe[/sarcasm]  As long as it's not you or anyone you know that's the victim, what's the problem?   :police:

Unfortunately, too many DA's, grand juries, etc. think that way.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 01:20:01 PM »
I guess that's what happens when you operate an un-registered and un-insured office chair on a public street  ;/

Further thoughts I'd best keep to myself.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »
Further thoughts I'd best keep to myself.

Same here.  :mad:
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.