Author Topic: Government Regulations  (Read 7881 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Government Regulations
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »
I'm kind of scratching my head about this.

So are modern governmental industry/business regulations there to protect citizens or are they there to protect large players in industry? I'm just thinking about the raw milk issues and how few meat packers there are compared to 30 years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Government Regulations
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »
Keep scratching.  You'll figure it out  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »
I'm kind of scratching my head about this.

So are modern governmental industry/business regulations there to protect citizens or are they there to protect large players in industry? I'm just thinking about the raw milk issues and how few meat packers there are compared to 30 years ago.

The big boys just love them some barriers to entry.  That is why, many times, they are in on the regulation-crafting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barriers_to_entry

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »
how few meat packers there are compared to 30 years ago.

Some of that is due to automation and improved distribution. Easier today to ship meat around the country today. The big boys with the higher economy of scale held out, the smaller ones were either assimilated or died on the vine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
The big boys just love them some barriers to entry.  That is why, many times, they are in on the regulation-crafting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barriers_to_entry

Yup. Also known as rent-seeking.

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:27:50 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
I'm unclear as to why the FDA couldn't be replaced by a private organization. You want to sell stuff without the Food and Drug Association's seal of approval? Go ahead. Just don't expect anyone to buy it, outside of your friends and associates, or maybe your own neighborhood. You want to sell stuff to people who know and trust you? Fine, just earn their trust.

Or am I wrong?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:16:13 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
You mean, have some type of certification that is voluntary, and subject to vetting and competition by the marketplace?

Yes, you are wrong; that is unpossible.

I'm unclear as to why the FDA the government couldn't be replaced by a private organization.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »
At Old THR I got into a huge furball with some folks when I pointed out that regulations aren't there to protect you from the business, they're there to protect the business from you. By keeping the number of competitors lower than in a free market it keeps prices a little higher and the need to innovate a little lower. More money and less stress for the organization. What's not to like?

The amount of sheer disbelief that I could even think or worse, say such a thing was astounding.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 01:01:42 AM »
I'm unclear as to why the FDA couldn't be replaced by a private organization. You want to sell stuff without the Food and Drug Association's seal of approval? Go ahead. Just don't expect anyone to buy it, outside of your friends and associates, or maybe your own neighborhood. You want to sell stuff to people who know and trust you? Fine, just earn their trust.

Or am I wrong?

Sounds good to me. Same as with restaurant inspections.  They'd be the Underwriter's Laboratories for food.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
Sounds good to me. Same as with restaurant inspections.  They'd be the Underwriter's Laboratories for food.

Faster, please.  Been to some restaurants that had a clean inspection from the city that could have only gotten such via the exchange of cash.  I'd rather have inspections from folks whose livelihood depends on their reputation for honesty.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
You mean like consumer reports?! 
 Not work too good in real life.
Underwriters labs? Oops another bad example
Riddle me this. How did federal pacific lose underwriters certification then magically regain it? And why in light of the comparatively small number of homes with those breakers did so many electrical fire jobs have them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
Underwriters labs? Oops another bad example
Riddle me this. How did federal pacific lose underwriters certification then magically regain it? And why in light of the comparatively small number of homes with those breakers did so many electrical fire jobs have them.

Of course FAA certified planes never crash  :angel:

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »

;/

and the bar association and ama have those fields all cleaned up too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »
and the bar association and ama have those fields all cleaned up too

You forgot CPAs  =D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »

Not an argument. The FDA doesn't work too good in real life. Or the ATF, etc.

A cogent argument would explain why .gov agencies get the job done, and why private groups cannot.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »

Not an argument. The FDA doesn't work too good in real life. Or the ATF, etc.

A cogent argument would explain why .gov agencies get the job done, and why private groups cannot.

Gov agents have more incentive to do the job right.  If their oversight fails and someone gets hurt, then they will get fired a raise and promotion.

:angel:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
I'm thinking regulations for someone like me to open up a small slaughter house for resale, small commercial distillery, or a small jelly/condiment company, etc.

Also do a little history reading and see what it was like before the FDA, granted the agency needs to be evaluated to bring it back to the terms of the its organic act and acts related to it passed by legislature/signed by president. I just wish the heads of those agencies were not political appointees.

Also if we went to private companies for their stamp of approval who is going to enforce them being truthful to the people. Would we even go a worse greased palm world or back to the snake oil salesman/opiates sold in Sears and Roebuck catalog?

I don't mind laws, I don't mind sensible regulations but regulations can't be there to favor the big companies over the smaller or startups. Maybe I'm just tired of big industry limiting my choices at the store because the diversity of industry /businesses are not there anymore and it takes an act of god for a little guy to get started.

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
You forgot CPAs  =D

I am actually in the dark there. Is that like the rest?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
Also do a little history reading and see what it was like before the FDA...

Why? Was there a private organization doing the same thing before the FDA?

Also if we went to private companies for their stamp of approval who is going to enforce them being truthful to the people.

If we went to the govt for their stamp of approval, who would enforce them being truthful to the people?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
Why? Was there a private organization doing the same thing before the FDA?

If we went to the govt for their stamp of approval, who would enforce them being truthful to the people?

Private industry was doing whatever they wanted before FDA, some honest, some dishonest.

There was elections to replace the leaders of the government, if the leaders are horrid, they will be voted out of office. Well its supposed to work that way anyways.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 11:03:38 PM »
Private industry was doing whatever they wanted before FDA, some honest, some dishonest.

Actually, they were doing whatever customers, and the government would let them get away with. Which is what they do now. (I find it necessary to point out that laissez-faire is not anarchy, or absolute power.)

There was elections to replace the leaders of the government, if the leaders are horrid, they will be voted out of office. Well its supposed to work that way anyways.

Do you think it would be more difficult to reform or replace a privately-run FDA, than a govt. one?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
I have an answer to Fistful's question:

Thalidomide.  And that's just for starters...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 11:12:06 PM »

;/
Was it dc 10's that had the cargo door trouble? That the builder ignored even after it was brought to their attention? What made em act right again?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »
I have an answer to Fistful's question:

Thalidomide.  And that's just for starters...

I thought that was fistful's answer to "Why?"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »
Edit: N/M