Author Topic: Skype.  (Read 849 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Skype.
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:24:35 PM »
Cool program.

Without further ado: Anybody here use it? What nick? Mine's obvious.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Skype.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 03:55:34 PM »
What is skype?

Iain

• friend
Skype.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 11:17:48 PM »
Skype is a VoIP program. Telephone calls over the internet, either to another computer and there is no charge for that, or to a normal phone, which I believe can be quite cheap. A friend of mine went to Italy for a year and used it to stay in touch, cheaper than a normal phone. Ebay bought the company, and they have integrated it into their auction site, but I've not seen many users use that function.

Nice to see you Micro.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Vodka7

• friend
Skype.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 10:10:59 AM »
For the rest of 2006, calls to any phone number in the US from Skype are free.  Incoming calls, if you want it to have a real phone number, require pre-paid credits.

AOL has launched AIM Phone, which works the opposite--incoming calls are free, but you have to pay for outgoing calls.  So if you sign up for both Skype and AIM, you could make and receive all of your calls for free.  (AIM Phone was not available in every market when it first launched though; I'm not sure if that's still the case.)

Skype is a P2P service, unlike most other VOIP carriers, so when you're signed into Skype it uses your connection to route other people's calls.  All calls are encrypted with a key-based system.

Skype-to-Skype calls are always free, though, and it's a really nice system--much easier than setting up your own TeamSpeak or Ventrilo server.  I use it to stay in touch with friends abroad--you can't beat free calls to Canada and Algeria.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Skype.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:12:58 AM »
Skype-to-Skype calls are always free, though, and it's a really nice system--much easier than setting up your own TeamSpeak or Ventrilo server.  I use it to stay in touch with friends abroad--you can't beat free calls to Canada and Algeria.
That's the key there.

500,000 Israelis are using skype for internal calls... loses Bezeq lots of money.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

matis

• friend
Skype.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:30:55 AM »
I just read an article on Google News that Skype has introduced a Skype phone that works without a computer or laptop.

It plugs into a regular phone jack as well as a broadband connection.

They aim to have it available for sale for the '06 Christmas season.  Around $150

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Zed

Skype.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:29:12 PM »
I've used it before, but the last time I tried it was a few years back and it's audio quality wasnt to great....

& Long Time no See Micro!
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)