Author Topic: The Dinosaur Wall  (Read 13591 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Dinosaur Wall
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
A sheer cliff in Bolivia with over 5000 dinosaur footprints in it, apparently over several eras.

This is the kind of thing I like to point to when people go all "we've got to do something!" about stuff like climate change. Sorry, you can't stop the bulldozer that is Mother Nature. She'll just up end you :)

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/10/cal-orcko-300-feet-wall-with-over-5000.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: The Dinosaur Wall
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
Ok, how did dinosaurs go and walk up a sheer cliff?

Oh, nevermind!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »
That is awesome.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »
Ok, how did dinosaurs go and walk up a sheer cliff?

Easy... ropes.  Except for T-Rex; he was SOL.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »
The answer is obvious.

When He created the earth 5,000 years ago, God put those markings (not footprints) on the perfectly formed rock formation as a test of faith and to identify the heathen and athiests who reject His word.

Either that or he was just drunker than a skunk.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
So somebody put up a wall to keep the dinosaurs in/out  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
So somebody put up a wall to keep the dinosaurs in/out  ???
Well, it didn't work.  They just walked up the wall.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
The answer is obvious.

When He created the earth 5,000 years ago, God put those markings (not footprints) on the perfectly formed rock formation as a test of faith and to identify the heathen and athiests who reject His word.

Either that or he was just drunker than a skunk.
Didn't you know humans and dinasaurs lived together?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
Yes, but that was a dinosaurs-only beach.

They weren't quite egalitarian in their belief as to who was superior... Looks like the comet showed who was superior, you snobby proto birds!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
Ah, always nice to get the morning started with some egregious bashing of the religious.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »
Didn't you know humans and dinasaurs lived together?   =D

and the dinosaurs buried their food, that is why you find bones in the rock.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
Well, it didn't work.  They just walked up the wall.   =)

Some could climb higher up the wall than others.  That explains why there are different dinosaur footprints at different heights.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »
Ah, always nice to get the morning started with some egregious bashing of the religious.

Egregious my ass.

It's hilarious!

And, just FYI, while I don't adhere to the strictly literalist interpretation of the Bible, I do very much consider myself to be a believer. I'm just not psychotic about it. I also have absolutely no problem at all reconciling religion AND science. In fact, I feel that they very nicely compliment each other in a way that far more people (on both sides) could see, and accept, if they'd simply get their heads out of their obstinate asses and think for themselves.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
I don't think it helps to keep bringing up the stupid faith-testing theory of fossil remains.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
I was taught "creation" was actually a restoration.  God created the heavens and the earth (including life) at some point in eternity past.  We don't know when.  Some unknown time later, it was made dark and all that.  So that means I don't believe the earth or all life that ever existed on earth is only 6000 years old.  Basically saying the first two verses are stand alone separate events that occured at different times.  That seems to me to be very consistent with these modern findings (or the other way around).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:12:39 PM by MechAg94 »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
I was taught "creation" was actually a restoration.  God created the heavens and the earth (including life) at some point in eternity past.  We don't know when.  Some unknown time later, it was made dark and all that.  So that means I don't believe the earth or all life that ever existed on earth is only 6000 years old.  Basically saying the first two verses are stand alone separate events that occured at different times.  That seems to me to be very consistent with these modern findings (or the other way around).

Sounds a lot like Tolkienism.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »
Never heard of that.  For me it is more of a big "I don't know".  You might as well ask if the Bible says aliens exist.  It really doesn't say anything at all.  All I was saying is two verses are separte events and not one.  It opens up a lot of speculative possibilities that are largely meaningless to my spriritual life.  

That said, the wall is pretty cool.  I remember seeing the Tyrannasaur footprints up in North Texas when I was a kid.  You sometimes see TV shows about early myths and legends and people wonder where this immagination came from.  Well, here is a good example.  I recall seeing a show pointing out that Greece used to have fossils and old bones all over the place which helped give rise to many of their legends.  I recall a teacher saying that her and her husband walked out into sands dunes in West Texas and found a skeleton.  They grabed one piece and carried it back, but they were not able to find the spot again.  Just a story I guess.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:14:26 PM by MechAg94 »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
You suppose they scaled those walls to escape the flood waters as the Ark floated by?   >:D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
Egregious my ass.

It's hilarious!

And, just FYI, while I don't adhere to the strictly literalist interpretation of the Bible, I do very much consider myself to be a believer. I'm just not psychotic about it. I also have absolutely no problem at all reconciling religion AND science. In fact, I feel that they very nicely compliment each other in a way that far more people (on both sides) could see, and accept, if they'd simply get their heads out of their obstinate asses and think for themselves.

So you believe in the Bible, but not "believe" in the sense that it's actually an account of things that actually happened. Got it. I'm a huge "believer" in Stephen Crane's poetry and the Game of Thrones series, myself.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »

I don't know that I can say that's necessarily wrong, only that such an interpretation is not suggested by the text.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »

I don't know that I can say that's necessarily wrong, only that such an interpretation is not suggested by the text.
Yeah, I know.  It was referring to a possible interpretation of the original language.  I need to dig up the book he wrote that included that.  I think all I have is the mp3.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
The Bible is a combination of historical fact, oral tradition, legend, parable, and likely flat out fiction. The importance of the Bible is in its overarching lessons on faith and personal interactions with others and ourselves, not in the concept that every word is an absolute, irrevocable utterance from the mouth of God to various scribes.

That is what I believe. If that differs from your belief system, so be it.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »
I was taught "creation" was actually a restoration.  God created the heavens and the earth (including life) at some point in eternity past.  We don't know when.  Some unknown time later, it was made dark and all that.  So that means I don't believe the earth or all life that ever existed on earth is only 6000 years old.  Basically saying the first two verses are stand alone separate events that occured at different times.  That seems to me to be very consistent with these modern findings (or the other way around).

Ive seen dispensationalists teach tat.  They (some) see a big gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2, a historical hole big enough to pour almost anything in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »
. . .  You might as well ask if the Bible says aliens exist . . .
Some say there's an account of an alien encounter in Ezekiel . . .

The Bible is a combination of historical fact, oral tradition, legend, parable, and likely flat out fiction. The importance of the Bible is in its overarching lessons on faith and personal interactions with others and ourselves, not in the concept that every word is an absolute, irrevocable utterance from the mouth of God to various scribes.
Not to mention millenia of cumulative translation/transcription errors and deliberate editing & rewriting. (GOD needs an EDITOR?  :facepalm:  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain