Author Topic: The Dinosaur Wall  (Read 13593 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The Dinosaur Wall
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 12:56:42 AM »

You should inform those people that the King James Version includes the Apocrypha, even if their personally-owned copies omit it (most do). Of course, the apocrypha doesn't include the alleged gospels. You are welcome to believe that the other "gospels" are legitimate. That doesn't mean others should agree with you.

I never said that those gospels are legitimate, also who gives a *expletive deleted*it if they are or not. I just said that they were there. Some people are so blinded by their "faith" cult that anything other than what they know is crap. I like to ask them why they hate Catholics so much, usually I get they you worship Mary/Pope or I get the blank dumbfounded stare.

Did you know that there were hundreds of different Christian churches in the 1st couple centuries AD?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 09:33:24 AM »
The original 1600s versions of the King James versions of the bible (based on the 1500s Martin Luther bible), included the Apocrypha.

After that time, numerous versions began dropping the Apocrypha, and since the early 1820s virtually no versions of the King James bible include the Apocrypha.

Obviously, different people at different times chose what was to be in their Bibles based on different sets of beliefs.

Funny, but that sounds exactly like what I said in the messages that kicked this entire thing off.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
It's amazing to me (IOW IMO) that the mere mention of fossilized remains of ancient terrestrial life forms causes theological debate on this board . . . every time.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
It's amazing to me (IOW IMO) that the mere mention of fossilized remains of ancient terrestrial life forms causes theological debate on this board . . . every time.

I think it started out with some kidding how some flavors of Christianity have their own unusual ideas about the dinosaurs, then it escalated from there.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
I think it started out with some kidding how some flavors of Christianity have their own unusual ideas about the dinosaurs, then it escalated from there.

Why yes it did, right here, and right with me!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »
Wait a sec...

It's Mike's fault, not fistful's?

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
The Gnostic Gospels were (and are) excluded from canon because they directly contradict the rest of canon. My favorite part is where Mary has to be turned into a man so she can goto heaven.  :laugh:

I never said that those gospels are legitimate, also who gives a *expletive deleted* if they are or not. I just said that they were there. Some people are so blinded by their "faith" cult that anything other than what they know is crap. I like to ask them why they hate Catholics so much, usually I get they you worship Mary/Pope or I get the blank dumbfounded stare.

Did you know that there were hundreds of different Christian churches in the 1st couple centuries AD?

So, people who disagree with you are in cults, and you can tell because they're ignorantly uncivil about your faith. Got it.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
The Gnostic Gospels were (and are) excluded from canon because they directly contradict the rest of canon. My favorite part is where Mary has to be turned into a man so she can goto heaven.  :laugh:

So, people who disagree with you are in cults, and you can tell because they're ignorantly uncivil about your faith. Got it.

whatever, read it anyway you want too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
"So, people who disagree with you are in cults, and you can tell because they're ignorantly uncivil about your faith. Got it."

Or they go out of their way to take extreme offense when you express your opinion...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »

Also here is a definition of a cult

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
Well, by that definition, I'm a member of a cult.

A cult of very devoted dog owners.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »
Well, by that definition, I'm a member of a cult.

A cult of very devoted dog owners.

Me too, a cult of devoted duck hunters. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »
"So, people who disagree with you are in cults, and you can tell because they're ignorantly uncivil about your faith. Got it."

Or they go out of their way to take extreme offense when you express your opinion...

Disagreeing with you is "extreme offense" now? If you're reading that into my comments I'd suggest it's coming from your perception of tone rather than my content.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2013, 02:35:26 PM »
No, I'm saying that it appears to me that you are actively looking for ways to be all arsehurt and offended.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
It's difficult to speak of Catholicism without implicitly also speaking of arsehurts . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »
And we have a winner of the internets for the day.  :facepalm:

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »
No, I'm saying that it appears to me that you are actively looking for ways to be all arsehurt and offended.

Yeah, still reading too much into my comments. Unless your numerous vitriolic rants on far less important matters here and elsewhere are you "actively looking" etc.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
I never said that those gospels are legitimate, also who gives a *expletive deleted* if they are or not. I just said that they were there.

Do you seriously think that the people who take offense are of the belief that the Gnostic writings referred to as gospels don't exist? Calling them "other gospels," implies that they are, well, gospels. It implies that they are as reliable/inspired/sacred/etc as the canonical gospels. (However reliable/inspired/sacred/etc you may judge them to be.) If you wanted to say that other writings exist, which claim to be gospels, fine. Even hard-core KJV-only-ists can't get offended by that.

What do you mean, and how do you find this significant?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »
Do you seriously think that the people who take offense are of the belief that the Gnostic writings referred to as gospels don't exist? Calling them "other gospels," implies that they are, well, gospels. It implies that they are as reliable/inspired/sacred/etc as the canonical gospels. (However reliable/inspired/sacred/etc you may judge them to be.) If you wanted to say that other writings exist, which claim to be gospels, fine. Even hard-core KJV-only-ists can't get offended by that.

What do you mean, and how do you find this significant?

Significant? Means that there also 100's of different forms of Christianity.

Also are you just badgering to be a turd in the punchbowl or what?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
Also are you just badgering to be a turd in the punchbowl or what?

I didn't badger you. I didn't say you were a heretic. I didn't say your Catholic Bible is wrong. I'm discussing the issues with you. How is that bad?

Significant? Means that there also 100's of different forms of Christianity.

We have hundreds (or thousands) of sects and denominations in the present day. Some of whom are more doctrinally correct than others. Some of whom are so far off-track that they can't (logically) be considered followers of the same Christ that everyone else is claiming to follow. This was also true way back then.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
Ooh, ooh, what did I win!?!?!?!?!?

I hope it's a pony!!!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
Yeah, still reading too much into my comments. Unless your numerous vitriolic rants on far less important matters here and elsewhere are you "actively looking" etc.

Two way street much? You came into the thread sure I was trashing your religious beliefs, ands apparently haven't moved away from that. Whatever.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »
What makes one gospel cannonical, and another not, is groups of men got together and decided that yeah, this gospel supports their interpretation of their religious beliefs.

What is cannonical to one group can well be heresy to another.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:42 PM »
' some if whom are more doctrinally correct.'

So, what... God comes down every Tuesday and passes judgement on which groups are correct and which are not?

Every group claims to go have the inside track on the path to religious truth. Who are you to pass judgement on them? What makes your particular version of religion truer than the rest?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
I didn't badger you. I didn't say you were a heretic. I didn't say your Catholic Bible is wrong. I'm discussing the issues with you. How is that bad?

We have hundreds (or thousands) of sects and denominations in the present day. Some of whom are more doctrinally correct than others. Some of whom are so far off-track that they can't (logically) be considered followers of the same Christ that everyone else is claiming to follow. This was also true way back then.

Using the term "gospel" is not wrong in the way I use it. I did not refer to other gospels as the canonicals, I just said that their were other gospels.

From Wikipedia:
A gospel is an account describing the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. The most widely known examples are the four canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, but the term is also used to refer to apocryphal gospels, non-canonical gospels, Jewish-Christian gospels, and gnostic gospels.

I mentioned the hundred of different Christian churches that were in existence shortly after the death of Christ, because it was hundreds of different versions of worshiping Christianity. Somewhere in the 300's the bible as we know it was becoming assembled and it took another 900 or so years after that where it was canonized as we get it today.

What exactly is doctrinally correct and what it not? Has anyone alive communed with Apostles or Christ and her them say, well this is actually the correct way, or you know your doing it all wrong. I also get frustrated with many organized Christian churches because Christ told us not to judge, but it was reserved for God to judge, but there are lot of Christians and sects of Christianity that are pretty judgmental of other people, even quite vocal that they are not going to heaven because of their behaviors. Passage from KJV Matthew 7:1–5.

Uranus is a gas giant.