Author Topic: best leaders in the RKBA world?  (Read 2666 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
best leaders in the RKBA world?
« on: April 11, 2005, 05:17:46 PM »
I'm doing a bio on a leader of my choice and I want to do it on someone in the gun world. I'm thinking Charlton Heston right now because it'll be easy to find info on him. Who would you pick?

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 09:27:13 AM »
Aaron Zelman at JPFO
Ted Nugent
Larry Pratt at GOA
Col. Jeff Cooper
Col. Robert K. Brown, Publisher "SOLDIER OF FORTUNE" magazine.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 09:30:20 AM »
Oleg Volk probably wouldn't be too bad of a choice. Wink
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 09:34:18 AM »
[Butthead] Uhhhh huh huh.........Oh yeah. [Butthead/]
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Sean Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:16:33 AM »
No offense to Ted, but most people see him as a nut, even pro-RKBA folks.

Ukraine Train

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:19:04 PM »
Hmm Jeff Cooper sounds like a good one. Would you say he was instrumental in the legal side of RKBA or more in the tactics/usage of guns? Though Oleg would be a good one too since I could actually ask him questions.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:06:05 PM »
Jeff Cooper would be excellent. Try writing to him.. you may well find that he responds.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 02:04:47 PM »
I recently read a bit on Heston and the NRA in a Mountain Bike rag.  The gist of the editorial was "we [IMBA] need to be more like them" in terms of advocacy and membership recruiting.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ukraine Train

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »
I talked to my prof about using Jeff Cooper and he's concerned that he is more of an "inventor" of shooting methods as opposed to a leader of other people and I might have trouble finding enough sources.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 05:08:36 AM »
Are there any real leaders in the RKBA movement. IMO the answer would have to be no.

Why? Because we are too splintered as a group. There's the shotgun guys who are broke down into the hunters and the skeet/trap crowd. Then there's centerfire hunter crowd (who mostly bury their heads in the sand and don't really give a hoot about the 2A anyway), the handgun guys, the paper punching guys and on and on and on. AND there's not a recognizable leader in the bunch let alone one who can unify us all and stand on the national stage and be an advocate.

With the exception of a small percentage of folks within each group most of the above rarely ever think about RKBA. Hell - I've been a shooter for over 30 years and I never even heard of the 1994 AWB until 2001 when I started looking into getting an AR-15. The only reason I knew about the Brady Bill was I tried to buy a handgun during the brief period after it's passage but before NICS when there was an actual waiting period for the police check.

Supposedly there's 80 million gun owners in the US - that numbers bandied about pretty regularly. That's 26.5% of the US population and if you get rid of the kids that's 35% of the population. That's a pretty large group. BUT try finding most of 'em. They're hiding out, maintaining a low profile or just don't really give a damn about RKBA.

If you assume that just 1% of those 80 million actually care about RKBA you'd think that at least one person out of that 800,000 would rise to the task of being a national spokesman for the cause. Hasn't happened yet.

Charlton Heston - mouthpiece - not a leader.
Pratt and Zelman - maybe but only for their factions. Hell you'd think Jews would be the most pro-gun group on the planet considering their history but look how small JFPFO is - very vocal - minimum impact.

What about in Congress - maybe the senator for Idaho might be considered a RKBA leader - maybe but he's not gonna chain himself to that wagon as whether we like it or not and even though RKBA might be an election breaker for some it is still not a major issue in Congress - just one that has to be watched - one where the goal is to not piss off gun owners rather than make them happy. We do wield some political power - but only enough that not pissing us off is the goal. There's a lot more of them than there are of us and Congress isn't going to do anything to piss of the them just to make us happy. So there aren't any RKBA advocates in Congress either - just guys who'll ocassionall jump on the bandwagon to make a little political hay.

The reality is that RKBA is important to us but it's just a side issue for the vast majority of Americans if it's an issue at all.

That type of environment doesn't lend itself well to creating leaders.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 08:52:45 AM »
How about Dr. John Lott?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RaggedClaws

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 10:27:45 AM »
Also, how about David Kopel?

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »
The late Neal Knox.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »
<>

You mean Ted Nugent or Ted Volk?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 05:40:57 AM »
The authors of the 2nd amendment and their perspective on RKBA would be interesting.