Author Topic: Little Suzie Homemaker today  (Read 6105 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Little Suzie Homemaker today
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »
Got two loaves of bread proofing this morning.
One is regular yeast bread recipe from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and the other is sourdough from a culture I've been building for a week. The overnight rise on the sourdough was pretty good. It won't go in the oven for a couple of hours yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
How appropriate this thread just came back.

In reference to the man card issue and cooking.

The reason I am so adimat that men who cook well earn man cards is because I live with one that I don't allow to use my pots and pans or the crockpot.
He is allowed to use one very solid and indestructable pan, one crappy pot, a kettle and the microwave (and I'd ban him from the microwave if I wasn't positive he'd starve to death)

Today, I had to corner him and interigate him on past and future big batch meals. I like to do the cook up a large meal on the weekend, portion it out in containers and stock the fridge with them to be heated and eaten during the following week.
But I also hate leftovers with a firey passion and, as he tends to contribute to my grocery money when I do this, I try to make stuff he likes so it all gets eaten.

Todays interigation partially involved some stew cabbage and kielbasa stuff I made. During the initial conversation, Dad gave it a positive but vague reveiw.
Only to reappear, later...

"Hey, that cabbage stuff? You know you should do? Make it with corned beef! Or pork!"
"Well, I've never done anything with corned beef before..."
"Well, you should learn!"
"Dad, I don't really like corned beef."
"Oh, well..."

And then he wandered off, all sad clown.

While I would love to snark back that if he wants corned beef he can learn to make it himself, the result would be Dad in the kitchen. Dad in the kitchen burning food, destroying cookwear and I'd get to clean up the mess afterwards.

*sigh* so, now I feel bad and will eventually have to break down and cook him cabbage and corned beef.
Maybe, if I find something that involves lots of spinich he'll forget about it.
At least he knows better then to ask for Spam.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
Had enough extra sourdough culture for sourdough pancakes. Yummy.

1st loaf is in the oven, 2nd to go in soon. Next on the agenda- Rum Cake for the social at the marina this evening.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »
Bread is done.

the sourdough is dang good. My dough was a little slack and it spread out more than I'd have liked but it's still dang good.

Sourdough on the right, regular on the left.

Sourdough

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
ruum caks dnns now

Samuel Adams

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
Got a loaf of "Pillsbury's Classic Italian" in the oven as we speak (or type?). Like the looks of your sourdough, nice texture. Gotta get that book!
Bon appetite!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »
The sourdough recipe came fom a different source.
Classic Sourdoughs (Ed Wood) available from Amazon on the kindle and has a good bit of info on the website  - http://www.sourdo.com/

Variety is the spice of life.

Samuel Adams

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
My Sonoma Bread book has a sourdough recipe, just don't think I have the patience.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."