Author Topic: Stop overpopulation now!  (Read 2430 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Stop overpopulation now!
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:29:14 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Stop overpopulation now!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
Why does a "journalist" start an article mentioning "Bible Thumpers" and "creationists"?  He might as well as put a notice at the top saying only looney liberals should read this article.  

I guess I should also mention they he refers to the "science" of overpopulation which is likely worse than talking about the "science" of global warming.  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:50:59 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »

He could help achieve his goal by committing suicide.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:38:52 PM »
He could help achieve his goal by committing suicide.

You're an evil man  >:D

You think just like me  ;)   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:41:25 PM »
The author is a journalist only insofar as his submission made it past the Washington Times online-only editors, which is probably much easier than getting an article published on Cracked.com.

The article almost completely glosses over death rates, mentioning them only tangentially via the observation of innovation during times of warfare.  What about people that die of natural causes?  Without knowing that number, the 80 million new humans a year statistic is impossible to evaluate.

As far as "birth credits," even if the proposal wasn't borderline completely Swiftian in tone, enforcement on a global scale would require a force more insidious and terrible than the Nazis the author so quickly turns to as a counter-point.  That's the most ironic thing about Ms. Wideman's idea; in order to work, enforcement would require a militant, totalitarian system like has been never seen on this planet.  There is also human nature to consider.  If people have been going to war for eons over competition of resources, what do you think is going to happen when Country A is a signatory to this insane idea, and Country B (who has more young soldiers, natch), decides to invade them?

Just so much stupidity here on so many levels.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:43:54 PM by Devonai »
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
No mention of a no kids tax credit? That's what I want.
Overpopulation is the only way to support the ponzi schemes currently in place. Without it, the tax burden will either be crippling or the ponzi scheme payout will be so little it will be meaningless.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 02:05:37 PM »
When will Malthus finally die?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
So Logan's Run was simply a Modest Proposal?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »
So Logan's Run was simply a Modest Proposal?

You know, a Logan's Run scenario makes far more sense. Maybe not make the cutoff 30, but some number long before old age. Maybe 55 or 65.

It still makes use of experience that can be passed on to the next generation, it solves the issue of the significant spike in healthcare costs as people age and it solves the coming entitlement problem with social security.

Further, it's also not fair that some people make it all the way to 90 or 100 and get to experience so much more than the average person and see great and great-great grandchildren. An age limit is far more equitable to everyone. In fact, I think everyone is better off when you "spread the age around".

(For those whose sarcasm meter is broken, this is satire. It is also, unfortunately, how too many people think and the direction the world is headed...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
Just remember that having kids is inter-state commerce so the feds can totally regulate it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
Just remember that {fill in activity here} is inter-state commerce so the feds can totally regulate it.
I think that is more accurate. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »
Just remember that having kids is inter-state commerce so the feds can totally regulate it.

I laughed out loud in real life.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »

You THINK you're being funny there...

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »
That's the most ironic thing about Ms. Wideman's idea; in order to work, enforcement would require a militant, totalitarian system like has been never seen on this planet

People like her get all tingly inside at the idea of such.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
The author is the type who would prefer that productive and useful people be limited in their reproductive choices, while making sure there is always plenty of room on the left's plantation for illegitimacy and unchecked immigration from the third world.

In a sane society, someone would have bitch-slapped him for printing such garbage.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »
You THINK you're being funny there...

Gallows humour, since the fed.gov and the national joke that is scotus seem to think that way.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.