Author Topic: 2,000-pound satellite may crash to Earth  (Read 2013 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
2,000-pound satellite may crash to Earth
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I hope it doesn't hit my house!

By FOX NEWS -
Who do you sue if you’re hit by a satellite?

A defunct satellite from the European Space Agency the size of a Chevy Suburban is set to plunge to Earth somewhere between Sunday night and Monday afternoon -- and experts say there's no way to precisely determine where it will crash.

GOCE, or Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer, ran out of gas last month and has been steadily sinking towards the Earth. As the planet rotates, the satellite whizzes over nearly every point on Earth. Experts expect it to plunge harmlessly into the oceans that cover 70 percent of the surface of the planet. But what if it doesn’t? What if it takes out your old Accord?

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/23924553/heads-up-a-2000-pound-satellite-may-crash-in-your-backyard-sunday-night#ixzz2kFnOU6AT
Follow us: @myfoxny on Twitter | Fox5NY on Facebook

I wish they could tell us when and where! I really enjoy seeing Fire in the Sky! Minus the probing and such!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: 2,000-pound satellite may crash to Earth
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
As the planet rotates, the satellite whizzes over nearly every point on Earth.

Gross.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
What, they don't have a spare SM3 sitting around this time?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRxn35Ketgk

who pays the littering fines?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »

Prove I flicked it out the window, copper.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRxn35Ketgk

From the article:

'[If] you could prove a piece of GOCE hit your Honda, you could go to your government to make a claim.'- Marcia S. Smith, president of the Space and Technology Policy Group

Should the satellite end up in your backyard, experts said the government responsible for launching it would be responsible for any damage -- that would be Russia, in this case.

“Basically, governments are responsible for their own spacecraft,” explained Marcia S. Smith, president of the Space and Technology Policy Group in Arlington, Va. “[If] you could prove a piece of GOCE hit your Honda, you could go to your government to make a claim,” she told FoxNews.com.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/23924553/heads-up-a-2000-pound-satellite-may-crash-in-your-backyard-sunday-night#ixzz2kHEafSjO
Follow us: @myfoxny on Twitter | Fox5NY on Facebook

Good luck with that!

Side note, whenever you do a copy and paste from the site, it automatically adds the url.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »
Back before Al invented the 'Net, and before Nigerians invented the scam, Skylab made an untidy return to earth.

I saw (tongue-in-cheek) ads for spray cans of Skylab repellent.  Guaranteed to keep it from landing on you.  In the very rare case that the repellent was ineffective, each can was shipped with a tube of Skylab Recovery Balm, to rub on the affected areas for a quick recovery.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »
Gross.

Leave it to Fistful  to view it from that perspective.... . . .   .                ..                         [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »
Michael Z. Williams posted on Facebook, "A death notice for a satellite is not an Orbituary..."

And one of his friends commented "But it should be..."

:rofl:
I promise not to duck.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 11:20:59 PM »
Just to be clear, it *may* crash to Earth, or the ghost of Newton *may* show up to fling it into the sun.  Or possibly Superman.  Those are the only options, and some are more probable than others.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 11:53:08 PM »
Okay, if it crashes near me, can I sell the scrap on ebay?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »
Okay, if it crashes near me, can I sell the scrap on ebay?

I remember the Elian Gonzalez rafts on eBay, whether it lands near me or not....  ebay, here I come!!! =D =D =D  Double bonus if you can make a scorch mark in the shape of the Virgin Mary!
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »
Well, it's dead. Confirmed report that it mostly disintegrated with the remainder falling into the ocean. The report I read didn't say exactly where. Damn. I was hoping for space zombies having taken it over and forcing a controlled landing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
Well, it's dead. Confirmed report that it mostly disintegrated with the remainder falling into the ocean. The report I read didn't say exactly where. Damn. I was hoping for space zombies having taken it over and forcing a controlled landing.

I'd really rather the Reavers stayed out there.
Formerly sumpnz

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 08:23:37 AM »
I'd really rather the Reavers stayed out there.

They are just misunderstood space youths. They are turning you inside out their lives around.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?