Author Topic: things that make.me go hmmm  (Read 2449 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
things that make.me go hmmm
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:42:33 AM »
just put 22 gallons in my 20 gallon tank. is it possible to squeeze in that much extra? i was on a slope

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: things that make.me go hmmm
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:33:20 AM »
Cheatin' pump?  How often does the State (or whoever) calibrate them?

I 'member when it was discovered that gas stations put heaters in the storage tanks to expand the liquid after a delivery.

So I wouldn't put nuthin' past them.

I won't spend a dime at one local independent station cause the lady owner skinned me out of $20 bucks total.  One day I put a 20 on the counter, she picked it up and stuck it in the register, then gave me change for a 10.  I said, :"No, hey, I gave you a twenty," and she said no and I figured well, maybe I goofed.

But the exact same thing happened a year later and that time I was positive it was a 20.  I made a minor fuss, but she insisted.

I'll never buy anything from her again.

Now, after paying that "tuition," when I hand any cashier a bill I hang on to it while I say, "Out of twenty" or whatever bill it is before I let them draw it out of my hand.  I never just lay it on the counter.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:53:50 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »
Not unusual.  The 18gal tank in my 4Runner will take upwards of 19.5 when dead on empty (as in engine died and I coasted into station).  I frequently get 22+ into the 21gal tank on my Honda Odyssey.

The only car that I can't seem to get more than the rated amount into it is my 2013 Focus.  Every other vehicle has had a higher than rated capacity.

Chris

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »
What time of day was it, and what was the temperature?

At 4 PM in the summer I can only get 16 gal in my 17.5 gal tank, yet at 3 AM in the dead od winter I can cram 19.5 gal in with ease.

Seems gasoline is not the only thing that expands when it's hot and shrinks when exposed to the cold.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
I've seen 43,000 pounds of fuel in the Airbus tanks that hold 42.2 thousand.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:28:28 AM »
I've seen 43,000 pounds of fuel in the Airbus tanks that hold 42.2 thousand.

Lol. Whats that equal in gallons/bit coin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
At 6.7lbs/gal, 43,000lbs = 6,417 gallons.

About .5 Bitcoin.  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »
I had the same thing happen with a $20 in a bar in Key West.  I told the bartendress I had given her a twenty, not a ten.  She said I didn't.  I was polite though.  She came back a bit later and said that if her drawer was over when she went off work, she'd call me.  I was thinking, Yah, sure, you betcha. 

When we were headed back home later that night, she called me and said she was over by$10 and I could pick it up the next day.  I was really surprised.  We go to that place often for the music and ambiance (Hog's Breath Saloon) so a couple days later, we were back in there.  I told her to keep the $10 and thanks for being concerned with doing what was right. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »

At 4 PM in the summer I can only get 16 gal in my 17.5 gal tank, yet at 3 AM in the dead od winter I can cram 19.5 gal in with ease.

Seems gasoline is not the only thing that expands when it's hot and shrinks when exposed to the cold.

stay safe.

This is what I was thinking. Do they use STP when they rate fuel tank capacity?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

stay safe.

Gasoline doesn't expand nearly that much.  A 3.5 gallon swing in a 20 gallon container is a 17.5% difference.  In general, the expansion rate of gasoline is 0.069% per degree F.  This means that a 100 degree change in temp will result in a 6.9% change in volume, or that 19.5 gallons of gasoline at 100 deg F will still displace 18.2 gallons at 0 deg F.  The amount of energy per mass unit does not change even though that mass unit may displace more or less volume as temps fluctuate.  The most you will experience in your vehicle's 20 gallon tank (unless you go compare the Sahara in Summer to the Antarctic in Winter) is maybe a gallon and a half change, tops.

C&S, not surprising on the extra fuel.  Mfg design tanks with deep center sumps and plenty of reserve as a way to keep the pump submerged (keeps it cool).

Brad
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:15:26 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info

It was 4 am. Temp was 43

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
Ive fueled aircraft in the morning to full and then a few hours later once it heats up in the low 100s have a decent amount of fuel purge out the fuel vents as the fuel expands.

Ive never been able to squeeze more than my truck's stated capacity in it. Its a 26 gal tank, 24 usable.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »
Ive fueled aircraft in the morning to full and then a few hours later once it heats up in the low 100s have a decent amount of fuel purge out the fuel vents as the fuel expands.

I've seen that quite a lot too. We used to get a lot of planes (it mostly involved C130's) in at Howard AFB, Panama, Transient Alert. We would warn them not to fill them to the brim with fuel (due to thermal expansion), because the fuel tanks would be seriously cold from flying at altitude. Of course, if it was a unit new to Panama (they were mostly Guard units) they would ignore our warnings. Inevitably, after a few hours the fuel and tanks would heat up, overflow the surge box and spew large quantities of fuel on the ramp, necessitating a call to the fire dept.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G