Author Topic: This roadrunner was in my yard when I got home from shopping tonight  (Read 1549 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Here it is sitting atop Erica's fort. I could have gotten an even better picture if the stupid dog hadn't scared it off Sad

I just thought it was kind of cool and thought I'd share.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
This roadrunner was in my yard when I got home from shopping tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 03:05:26 PM »
Any sign of that Wiley Coyote? Or heaping bowls of birdfood with a big sign saying "FREE BIRDFOOD" and an arrow pointing at the bowl? That's a sure sign he's hanging about.

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »
"meep meep"

Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius
Acme, Inc.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:22:17 PM »
Cool!  Where do you live?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:29:24 PM »
I havent seen a road runner in years.  While growing up in West Texas we had a roadrunner that hung around our house.  Sitting in the living room we would get the feeling of something watching us.  The Road Runner would either be looking in the sliding glass door or more often than not looking down at us from the skylights.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 05:44:03 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Cool!  Where do you live?
I'm about fifty miles due southeast of Dallas, Tx.

In the twelve years I've lived in Texas, I've seen roadrunners on about a dozen or so occasions, in every instance (except this one), in one particular spot along the highway about 5 miles or so up the road.

When I got home today he was in my driveway, just off the road. I turned into the driveway and drove veeery slowwwly, and he hopped along ahead of me all the way to my yard, and then hopped up on one of my other cars and groomed himself (or herself) while I ran in and got the digi-cam.

280, we have loads of coyotes around here, but I doubt they eat many roadrunners. This little guy was outrunning my (large) dog just trotting along and not looking like he was trying very hard, and with as many cats and dogs, young goats, newborn cattle, etc we have around here falling prey to coyotes I doubt they are that concerned with a hard to catch and small meal like a roadrunner. Maybe out in the desert where the cartoons are supposed to be from they are more valuable prey to the coyotes, but I don't think here.

They do fly by the way.

p.s. One of my neighbors who is the original Ted Nugent, cruises the road in front of my house every dawn and dusk with his 30-06 and nails coyotes left and right like it's his mission in life. The farmers in my neighborhood go to sleep every night happily, and peacefully in the knowledge that the coyote slayer is on patrol. I think it might technically be illegal to shoot coyotes (or anything) from the road, but the game wardens probably fear they'd have their houses burned down by their neighbors if they enforced the letter of the law.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 06:23:08 PM »
Heh, this morning I had a flock of turkeys wandering around my neighborhood.  My response:  Dinner!

I need to remember my camera next time.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »
Quote from: Firethorn
Heh, this morning I had a flock of turkeys wandering around my neighborhood.  My response:  Dinner!

You don't live up north do you? My parents in west Michigan (where I grew up) have big ol' wild turkey flocks roaming their  neighborhood - a sight unseen when I lived there, just 13 years ago.

Traditional (past fifty years)  hunting limits are causing a game peak right now I think. They're even having black bears in for lunch!
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 07:20:18 PM »
Cool pics.  I still see some roadrunners around here.  One evening I was out riding my bike and one ran out in front of me.  It ran straight down the road like I was chasing it, then took off and flew up on top of someone's roof and posed like an old weathervane.
For entertainment purposes only.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 07:41:02 PM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
Quote from: Firethorn

You don't live up north do you? My parents in west Michigan (where I grew up) have big ol' wild turkey flocks roaming their  neighborhood - a sight unseen when I lived there, just 13 years ago.

Traditional (past fifty years)  hunting limits are causing a game peak right now I think. They're even having black bears in for lunch!
Yes, I do indeed live up north.  Just need to find my archery equipment, as I doubt the city would appreciate me setting off a shotgun.

And yes, there's always a flock of them.  I pretty much figure it's 3-4 hens and a bunch of their nearly grown chicks.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 01:28:51 AM »
Stand, I was just thinking how I should move to your neck of the woods when I "retire" and shoot coyotes for the rest of my days. Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 02:39:59 AM »
This is bugging me. So exactly WTF did folks call roadrunners before there were roads?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 05:11:51 AM »
I remember when I used to run an SCCA car with a friend of mind and we went to an abandoned airstrip out Midland way to test and these things were everywhere.  Pretty neat to see them scurrying out of the way of a open wheel race car doing over 150.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 05:22:53 AM »
Quote from: French G.
This is bugging me. So exactly WTF did folks call roadrunners before there were roads?
The roadrunner has been called the war bird, the snake eater, and medicine bird by groups of Native Americans.
The bird's Spanish name is paisano, which means "countryman".
The Roadrunner is also called the Chaparral Cock.
Roadrunners are ground cuckoos.

I quick search gave me that list and who knows what else....

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 07:26:35 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Stand, I was just thinking how I should move to your neck of the woods when I "retire" and shoot coyotes for the rest of my days. Cheesy
This would be a good spot for it.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"