Author Topic: Sidewalks  (Read 6367 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »
The last time I walked on a crowded sidewalk I had a really really big dog with me.

I had plenty of room. =D

The thing that wacks me out is this kind of crowding happening at dogs shows. People just push right through, walk on top of each other and ignore the fact that everyone (including themselves) have a dog on a lead.
The amount of close calls in terms of a potential brawl I've seen is staggering, and all because nobody pays attention to where they are walking and there is no order in terms of right of way.

???

I mean, it's bad enough at other events and public places, but then these people add animals to the mix.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 11:39:34 PM »
The last time I walked on a crowded sidewalk I had a really really big dog with me.

I had plenty of room. =D

The thing that wacks me out is this kind of crowding happening at dogs shows. People just push right through, walk on top of each other and ignore the fact that everyone (including themselves) have a dog on a lead.
The amount of close calls in terms of a potential brawl I've seen is staggering, and all because nobody pays attention to where they are walking and there is no order in terms of right of way.

???

I mean, it's bad enough at other events and public places, but then these people animals add animals dogs to the mix.

FITY.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
I usually walk down the right side of the sidewalk.  A lot of times I have to stop and let some dufus working his/her phone run into me.  I refuse to get out of the way of those people.  Foreigners in a mall expect you to move aside for them.  I don't......chris3

Every once in a while when I noticed one of those people coming, I'd stop dead in my tracks and let them run into me, too.  If they reacted at all, it was as if I were the rudest person on earth.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
The mindless behavior of the "other walker" must be ubiquitous.  Wife and I have talked about this before and even deliberately watched.  We thought we might be the only people in the world who noticed all the rude walking behavior by just about, well, everyone.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
When I take Dad shopping I walk behind him and smile at everyone.  He does a great job of clearing a path with his red and white cane.   Most people are polite and when they see him coming make way for him, there are some that are slow on the uptake, and get a cane to the ankles.  :O

He does try to guide right, but tends to steer toward the middle because stores like to have stuff hanging off the shelves on the bottom.  I really don't need him to fall and break a hip at 90. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.