Author Topic: Who Knew SyFy did good Sci-Fi?  (Read 3982 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Who Knew SyFy did good Sci-Fi?
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:58:11 AM »
I just started watching "Defiance". It was on my Netflix recommendations, so I put it in my queue, and it was on "very long wait" for a very long time. Just got the DVDs this week, and was shocked to learn it's a SyFy original. It's actually quite good. Set in the mid-21st century, after a bunch of aliens come to Earth when their sun went nova. Different species from the same star system(s?). Earth didn't want them, so war broke out, including terraforming.

A peace is reached in the mid-21st century, and everyone is trying to get by on what's left of Earth. I'm seeing elements of Babylon 5 (aliens) and Firefly (old/new tech mix, and an over-reaching govt body called the Earth Republic). Anyway, I'm liking it so far. Season one is on Netflix, and there is a season two, either on now or being filmed for 2014.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Who Knew SyFy did good Sci-Fi?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »
I've been trying to watch it but I just can't quite get into the groove with it. It's isn't bad, and it's better than the revolting tripe that is Revolution.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:11:41 AM »
I've been trying to watch it but I just can't quite get into the groove with it. It's isn't bad, and it's better than the revolting tripe that is Revolution.

It took me the first few episodes before I got sucked in. That happens to me a lot. I couldn't figure out what all the hype was about for "Breaking Bad", because I actually fast forwarded through parts of the first half dozen episodes, but then got sucked into that too.

One of the things I like about "Defiance" that hasn't been the case for TV Sci-Fi in like the last ten years, is no focus on annoying kids or sappy parenting lessons that make me want to stop watching, like on Terra Nova. There is a Romeo and Juliet thing going on, but the characters are so far not overwhelming the rest of the show.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
Is that the show set in future St. Louis where that arch is still there (sorta) and a radio station operates from the top?

If so, yea, saw it on Sy Fy I guess as it was originally broadcast.  Lost track of it....isn't it between seasons ...or was it canceled?   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
Is that the show set in future St. Louis where that arch is still there (sorta) and a radio station operates from the top?

If so, yea, saw it on Sy Fy I guess as it was originally broadcast.  Lost track of it....isn't it between seasons ...or was it canceled?   

Yup, that's the one. As far as I know, Season 2 is coming out. Don't know if there will be a season 3.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
SyFy puts out entertaining shows pretty regularly between installments of Sharknado and Ice Spiders.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
SyFy puts out entertaining shows pretty regularly between installments of Sharknado and Ice Spiders.

Yea but everybody only pays attention to Sharknado.

There is (or was?) a new one; Stonenado.  I saw an advertisement for it awhile ago .... I think I missed it.

Anyway I pray I missed it ...... ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »
It's a horrible movie.  But my wife and I were both entertained for two hours by Sharknado.  Kind of like our own little private MST3K.  Cuddle up on the couch and laugh at the movie.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 01:27:16 PM »
I just started watching "Defiance".

Hey, it doesn't stink like schtaco!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
I watched the first few episodes, until Hulu suddenly yanked the one I was in the middle of. Seemed like a pretty good series. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the DVD set sometime.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
It's a must-watch for me. Of all the post-apocalypse stuff on TV so far, it's been the best.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
I saw half of first season last year I think-pretty good-I like the biker/aliens
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »
Defiance is back!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 09:19:29 PM »
Is The Last Ship SyFY or TNT?  Either way, it sucks.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »
But they've got Jane!! =D
jeff w

I like onions!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
It's a horrible movie.  But my wife and I were both entertained for two hours by Sharknado.  Kind of like our own little private MST3K.  Cuddle up on the couch and laugh at the movie.

http://www.rifftrax.com/live
 =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 11:32:37 PM »

I put it on my DVR list, just in case. Kinda figured it would be similar to "The Last Submarine"(or whatever it was called, which *expletive deleted* and horribly).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »
I watched the first several episodes of Defiance.  I stopped watching though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »

Starting up for the new season any time now, according to SeeFee.

That channel is a mix of surprisingly-good, terribly-bad, and "WTF???" They're getting back into showing decent genre movies and TV now (at times), as well, after not doing so at all for many years. I've heard good reviews for Defiance, but have not watched it myself. My whole family likes 'Face Off' (TV/movie makeup effects challenge show) on that channel, and this past year's 'Jim Henson's Creature Shop' was also good.

On the bad side of things, I hear that there's a new SeeFee Original movie coming out - well, more than one (yes, 'Sharknado 2' is coming as well), but...

'Sharktopus Versus Pteracuda'.  ;/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
'Sharktopus Versus Pteracuda'.  ;/

Just the name was enough to send me into fits of laughter. Sounds like a must watch!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

JN01

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »
For every Battlestar Galactica, you get a hundred Mansquitos and 'rasslin.   [barf]

Haven't seen Defiance, I may have to give it a look.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »
I seem to recall there was some doubt Defiance would get renewed. It's not mind-blowing, but still a cut above a lot of the reality/network stuff out there. I'm ambivalent about the new show in the following time slot, Dominion, aka The Good Angels, the Bad Angels, and the Apocalypse..
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »
I've only watched the first episode of Dominion, but I'll watch at least one more. Jury's still out.

Defiance is getting steadily better in season two.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 02:50:49 PM »
I've been watching Defiance as well, really liking it so far.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »
Argh. I'm all wishy washy on if I should watch it now and FF through the commercials, or wait six months to watch all the episodes in a non-commercial marathon. :)