Author Topic: Long term storage of nuclear waste in other countries  (Read 4115 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Long term storage of nuclear waste in other countries
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »
So I was reading the other day about the latest political issues with Yucca Mountain, and this made me wonder: how are other countries dealing with the long-term storage of nuclear waste?  Nuclear power is much more popular in Europe and Asia.  Are there European and Asian equivalents of Yucca Mountain, or do the plants store on site or what?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
Re: Long term storage of nuclear waste in other countries
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »
I read somewhere that the Soviets were putting nuke waste in deep old oil wells under the theory that the oil stayed put for millions of years, so the nuke waste should too.

(On the other hand, they were using oil wells in satellite countries, so maybe they weren't all that confident of the outcome.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »
Don't they recycle the waste through more efficient reactors, a process that reduces it to much less harmful levels?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »
Here in Sweden it's stored temporarily in a facility north of the Oskarshamn Nuclear Power Plant, until they can decide where they are going to build the permanent storage. I can't remember if they've made a decision where this is going to be yet.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
Don't they recycle the waste through more efficient reactors, a process that reduces it to much less harmful levels?

They can, unfortunately the reprocessing activity is also related to the production of weapon-grade plutonium as well, and is discouraged or avoided as a "proliferation" concern.

Here in Sweden it's stored temporarily in a facility north of the Oskarshamn Nuclear Power Plant, until they can decide where they are going to build the permanent storage. I can't remember if they've made a decision where this is going to be yet.

I remember seeing one of the Nordic countries had dug a tunnel out to sea into the continental shelf, and had a huge cylindrical cavern they were going to fill up, and seal off behind them, and eventually it would just get drawn down into the Earth's mantle, since that part of the crust was in a subduction zone.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »

I remember seeing one of the Nordic countries had dug a tunnel out to sea into the continental shelf, and had a huge cylindrical cavern they were going to fill up, and seal off behind them, and eventually it would just get drawn down into the Earth's mantle, since that part of the crust was in a subduction zone.

^^ That right there is using your noggin.  Impressive thought process.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
They can, unfortunately the reprocessing activity is also related to the production of weapon-grade plutonium as well, and is discouraged or avoided as a "proliferation" concern.

This perhaps? Finnish site.
Or this? Swedish Repository.
I think the Norwegians have nuclear power plants too, but I don't know what they do with their fuel. The Danes don't have any nuclear power plants.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
Hmm... According to the IAEA or whatever, it's not licensed/approved, since subduction zone burial counts as "sea disposal".  :facepalm:
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
Why in the *expletive deleted*it don't we just jettison it into space?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
Why in the *expletive deleted* don't we just jettison it into space?

gets messy sometimes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
Queue bad SyFy movie with nuclear volcanoes
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »
gets messy sometimes

Seems we've reached an era where our space launches are pretty reliable.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »

i quit doing gas fireplaces since cleanup was a 2 square block area

this is considerably worse

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-04/why-not-just-dispose-nuclear-waste-sun
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 08:40:42 AM »

Weight.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
Weight.

This right here.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/background/facts/astp.html_prt.htm

Today, it costs $10,000 to put a pound of payload in Earth orbit.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
i quit doing gas fireplaces since cleanup was a 2 square block area

this is considerably worse

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-04/why-not-just-dispose-nuclear-waste-sun

Eff it. I'll get drunk at parties and tell people it could be done anyways.
JD

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
Subduction zone burial is the best option, if you're a moron that doesn't want to reprocess or reuse the fuel. We've double downed on the stupid.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
Vitrify and drop in a 10,000ft + deep part of the ocean. We don't have much nuclear waste. Much less if you get rid of low level crap like the barrels of used work clothing and such. Nothing wrong with Yucca mountain either.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »
Subduction zone burial is the best option, if you're a moron that doesn't want to reprocess or reuse the fuel. We've double downed on the stupid.

Reprocessing and reusing the fuel.  Hmmmmm.  My father was in favor of that decades ago.

I suspect he'd have liked you. ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »
Queue bad SyFy movie with nuclear volcanoes

Yes!  Hopefully with mutant, triple-breasted Amazonians!
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »

Tell that to the Challenger crew.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
Reprocessing and reusing the fuel.  Hmmmmm.  My father was in favor of that decades ago. . . .
IIRC, it was Jimmy Carter who decided we would NOT reprocess and reuse fuel because his then 11 year old daughter was concerned about nuclear proliferation, making him the best president France ever had. (The Frenchies reprocess fuel.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »
IIRC, it was Jimmy Carter who decided we would NOT reprocess and reuse fuel because his then 11 year old daughter was concerned about nuclear proliferation, making him the best president France ever had. (The Frenchies reprocess fuel.)

Well, those demos have to get advice from somewhere.................. :angel:

(  >:D   )
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
If you're putting it permanently underground then that doesn't seem like "storage" which implies you're going to go back and get it someday.

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 11:55:48 PM »

Why do we want to put our future fuel that far out?  Personally, I've always figured that Yucca Mountain, designed to last tens of thousands of years, would last less than a few centuries before our descendents dig it up to get at our 'waste'.