Author Topic: Salsa!  (Read 890 times)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Salsa!
« on: September 04, 2006, 03:25:15 PM »
108 pints put up this weekend!  Two bushels of chiles and 75 pounds of tomatoes, plus our onions and garlic from the garden.

Grampster ,are you ready for a couple pints?

Oleg, I've got your name on a couple pints too.   Art?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Salsa!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 03:31:41 PM »
I am afraid to know why you are making that much....
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Salsa!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 03:45:47 PM »
Quote from: lupinus
Three kids, eight grandkids, and a bunch of friends all over the net...

BozemanMT

• friend
Salsa!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »
holy crap
that's a ton
we did 50 pints a couple weekends ago, and that was more than enough.
figure that's one a week. :-)

We're to the "i'm sick of maters" stage.  WE gave away a whole box (20+lbs) just don't care no more, have no ideas what to do with them.

The break room at work si about to get full.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

grampster

• friend
Salsa!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 04:22:05 PM »
Larry,
I've dragged my lawn chair out by the mailbox just to make sure the mailman ain't slurpin' it down before I get a chance to pry his cotton pickin' hands offa that box.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Salsa!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 04:25:54 PM »
Three kids, eight grandkids, and a bunch of friends all over the net...
2. Gets Larry out vacuuming the house.

3. Gets Larry out of Reloading 28 ga shells for Sandy - for a short time anyway.

Pick one.  Tongue

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Salsa!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 07:06:06 PM »
Sounds yummy!

My parents have a surplus of Roma and Beefsteak tomatoes this summer, so I have this wicker basket on the kitchen counter that never seems to drop in tomato inventory, it refills every weekend.  From the look of the vines, they'll be producing until the first hard freeze this fall.

Since I'm not privy to a jar of Larry's finest salsa, how about the recipe so I can do something with all these tomatoes?  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Salsa!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 07:25:39 PM »
If you really, really need to get rid of a few, I can supply an address. Esp the beefsteak.  Smiley

bob

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Salsa!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 07:06:41 AM »
The recipe isn't secret, I can post it tonight.  It takes, chiles, tomatoes, onions and garlic.  The problem is getting good chiles.  We're fortunate as they're grown right here locally (as in across the road).

Here's a link to some pretty good stuff.  The company is right up the road from me, and their salsa is real close to ours.

http://www.pueblochamber.org/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=4&=SID

InfidelSerf

• friend
Salsa!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »
Well for all you "mater" lovers.. here is a recipe for a classic Spanish Gazpacho that I learned when visiting friends in Madrid a decade ago.

Gazpacho
6-7 large RIPE tomatoes (I personally prefer to deseed the tomatoes first, as this lowers the chance of crushing a seed during the blending stage, but it's not neccessary)
1 cucumber
3-4 garlic cloves crushed (I've tried variations with roasted too, both are good.)
1/2 cup ev olive oil (evo or regular to taste)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 hogie sized piece of dry French bread
 Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
Then pour everthing through a vegetable mill and sift into a large bowl (this removes all the tomatoe seeds and cucumber skin)
This is what one looks like... should be around $15-25 at any kitchen supply store

Gazpacho is a traditional cold soup typically served before a main course.
To further enhance the classic serving of gazpacho, you can cut cucumbers, french bread, and hard boiled eggs into 1/4" or smaller cubes.
Your guests can then choose to sprinkle them over the soup before enjoying.

Personally I drink this stuff down straight out of a glass... and am amazed as to how it sticks with you.  One large glass in the morning will keep you full till lunch.

This is just a traditional recipe... you can of course mix it up with alot of other veggies and toppings.
Enjoy!
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Salsa!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 04:47:32 PM »
Sandy's Salsa

Makes 18 pints.

6 qts. tomatoes
4 cups chopped onion
1 head garlic
1/2 tsp ground oregano
3 tbls salt
3/4 cup vinegar
8 cups Pueblo Chili*

Pressure cook at 13 lbs for 35 minutes (this is for high altitude).

OR, freeze it.

*Pueblo chili is local.  Big Jims or hot Anaheims, or any comparable, would work as well.

Veloce, thanks for the recipe.  That sounds great.