Author Topic: Help Me, Libertarians! You're My Only Hope!  (Read 5094 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Help Me, Libertarians! You're My Only Hope!
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »
R2-Doosh2, coming to a school, mall, or corporate campus near you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/science/coming-soon-a-night-watchman-with-wheels.html?_r=0

Un-effing-believable. 

“We founded Knightscope after what happened at Sandy Hook,” said William Santana Li, a co-founder of that technology company, now based in Sunnyvale, Calif. “You are never going to have an armed officer in every school.”

Um... your stoopid robot wouldn't stop a Sandy Hook or Columbine.  It would have video recording of the event, a shot-up dome, and be an ineffectual waste of money to combat that scenario.

For the moment, the system is unarmed, and it is certain to become the target of teenagers who will undoubtedly get a thrill from knocking the robot over. Mr. Li said he believed this was not an insurmountable challenge, given the weight, size and video-recording ability of the bots.

My vote is to spray-paint its dome, then put a degaussing coil over its rounded dome to interfere with any GPS or wi-fi location services it has.  Then watch it get run over by cars.  But that's just me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Help Me, Libertarians! You're My Only Hope!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »
They gained some attention in June for their failed attempt to manufacture a high-tech police cruiser at Carbon Motors Corporation in Indiana.

AH HAH! I was wondering when these scam artists were going to pop up next. Guess they have found the next thing to sell to guillible moron buyers...

Don't worry this idiotic worthless thing will not ever enter production but a big deal will be made over it just like the Carbon Motors bullshit.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »
R2-Doosh2, coming to a school, mall, or corporate campus near you.
More like R2-Derp2.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:15:08 PM »
"Danger Will Robinson!!!"

Wait... need arms to waggle about for that........
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »
Unless it's got the same kind of armament the CIWS (also called R2D2s jokingly,) what the hell good is this thing?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
Unless it's got the same kind of armament the CIWS (also called R2D2s jokingly,) what the hell good is this thing?

You arm these things, and I'll start shooting them pro-actively.  Dead serious.  Even if they only have tazers or pepper spray.  Remote compliance devices?  Area-of-effect mace or pepper spray?  No effing way.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »

That would be R2D2 with a hard on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
Last thing that antisocial little jerk droid needs is an automatic cannon. Because he would have used it, repeatedly. I want one of these security droids but I want it to look like a Dalek.  Then I go back to my idea of an IR sensor, a roomba, and a claymore, probably a little too extreme for most public schools though.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 04:53:49 PM »
Pointless.  Add a few extra sensors to the ubiquitous networked camera installations already present.  

or the moment, the system is unarmed, and it is certain to become the target of teenagers who will undoubtedly get a thrill from knocking the robot over. Mr. Li said he believed this was not an insurmountable challenge, given the weight, size and video-recording ability of the bots.

They'll be taking a sledgehammer to it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Latest means of sucking money out of govt and wall street.  The idea doesn't need to be viable; it only needs to sound viable.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
It doesn't sound viable in the least.  This literally sounds like something somebody over on Spacebattles came up with.

"Dude, we should have robots guarding our schools. "

"Unarmed? What good is that?"

"But, it's a *expletive deleted*ing ROBOT. "

You arm these things, and I'll start shooting them pro-actively.  Dead serious.  Even if they only have tazers or pepper spray.  Remote compliance devices?  Area-of-effect mace or pepper spray?  No effing way.

If *I* armed the damned thing, it'd only be because it was watching my lawn.  I'd also be sure to upload the Clint Eastwood / Walt Kowalsky voicepack to it.

"GET OFF MY LAWN. "

Seriously (and I really can't take this idea very seriously, because REALLY? ) this is the epitome of a pipe dream.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »
Duct tape over the camera lenses.  Done.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »
A shot of spray paint would be quicker.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
Little happy face stickers.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »
Where's its toilet-plunger arm?
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »
Multi-pronged paint ball assault ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »
Where's its toilet-plunger arm?

Another Dr. Who fan!  =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
If these are the guys from the now defunct Carbon Motors with the 6-figure turbo biodiesel custom police cruiser, I’m smelling a “serial venture-capital bait” business model, and no actual droids in any schools. At least ones from their little startup at any rate.
I promise not to duck.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
Simple plebes.. doncha know it's illegal to assault a robo-ossifer?

YOU WILL COMPLY  :police:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
EX-TER-MI-NATE!!   :police:
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
I have a little toy Dalek that runs around on my table.  It is just about as useless as this thing. 

Hidden motion detectors and cameras would be cheaper and easier.  Hell, little flying helicopter drones would be better. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
I think the Robocop would soon have a large dildo stuck to it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »
That thing would will be unside down in a toilet within 5 minutes of the first bell.