Author Topic: Army LTC calls for civlian disarmament  (Read 6378 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Army LTC calls for civlian disarmament
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »
If you go back to the OP link they have changed the picture, evidently they had the wrong Bateman.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »
Wow. I guess the Army was envious of the Marine Corps' poor color coordination.  ;/

Someone needed an OER bullet.  Because what we really needed in the middle of two wars was a new DRESS uniform.  Not, you know, to replace the "Soldier tested" UCP (ACU uniform).    ;/

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 01:15:20 PM »
Someone needed an OER bullet.  Because what we really needed in the middle of two wars was a new DRESS uniform.  Not, you know, to replace the "Soldier tested" UCP (ACU uniform).    ;/

In fairness, I do not have fond memories of the green polyester monkey suit.  I would have welcomed almost any change in that regard.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
To summarize the last six or eight posts, there is a lot of confusion about which LTC Bateman we are talking about.  I think it is the LinkedIn profile BobR posted, based on comments he made in the article.  If so he has deployed and earned his combat patch.  MNSTC-I and IJC are both downrange and he was gone over a year both times.

However, I'm skeptical of anyone that writes "And given the era, I also served for years myself in places decidedly less comfortable; combat zones like Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as a few other nasty places. Thankfully I have seen much of the rest of the planet under more pleasing circumstances" when they worked as a planner and strategist at corps level headquarters.  I have not been one but our Plans guys and 59s at USD-N spent most of their time doing slides and assessments.  Based on his photo below, assuming it is him, he's taking the obligatory Fobbit "Look Ma!  I'm on a helicopter flying to ANOTHER FOB!" picture in a bird (no shame, I have one too), has no NOD's plate on his helment, and has a fairly clean collar on his IBA. 

That's probably just where he got assigned.  There isn't much to do outside the wire for LTCs if they aren't a battalion commander, brigade DCO/XO/S-3, or *TT commander.  Especially if you aren't combat arms and have been doing stuff like strategist.  And maybe he was doing a lot of liaison work with the ISF/ANSF and was outside the wire everyday.  I can't say for sure.  But I sort of doubt it.

Having been outside the wire a fair amount my first deployment it bugs me a bit when people beat the "combat deployment" drum too hard when they are basically a Fobbit.  Like one of my NCOs said of being stationed at Camp Speicher with a division HQ "This whole FOB is Freedom Rest (small semi-resort for Soldiers to take a four-day pass from more austere conditions)."

Alright, thus ends the speculation...

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
In fairness, I do not have fond memories of the green polyester monkey suit.  I would have welcomed almost any change in that regard.

I rather liked it.  Green is unambiguously Army.  Blue is like...Marines?...Air Force?...Navy?...Coast...Guard?  And I miss full color tabs (not that I had any) and patches on the sleeves.  I think I could live with the ASU if they ditched the never to be sufficiently cursed CSIB and went back to patches.  Not having my Big Red One on my right shoulder just makes me grouchy.  :)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »
I miss Khakis.*   Although the Class B greens with the black sweater were good.   The Class A jacket was no different then wearing a suit coat (with a bunch of pins stuck through it.)

But yes, my earlier comment was based on the picture that SSI posted with the story (I should have guessed that they had the wrong guy and the wrong pic.  ;/)

Anywho, having said that.  Yep given his job titles and assignments sounds like he definitely was "Bob on the FOB."

And given his writings, this guy in particular:

*They only had them for about 18 months after I enlisted.  Got a set in basic, also was issued 3 sets of BDU and one "pickle suit" (the OD green fatigues.)  Always fun to see who screwed up on "pickle suit day" in basic as we came racing out of the barracks into formation.  There'd always be at least one guy in BDUs, or on occasion one guy in a pickle suit when BDUs were the uniform of the day.   Much hilarity would ensue.  [popcorn] [popcorn]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:44:44 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.