Author Topic: Ecofactor  (Read 3873 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Ecofactor
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:59:57 PM »
About mid-winter last year the thermostat died. 

No biggie, as in the NG bill from Nicor there was an offer for a free programmable one from "Ecofactor".

Free is good and they install it.  Which beats the hell out of  me trying to figure out if I have the three, four, five or 17 wire installation, as explained in the instructions google translated from Mandarin Chinese via Sanskrit.

Guy comes and hooks it up.  Plugs a Digi-port X2 into my modem/router so that I can program it from my computer (or anywhere I can log into My.Ecofactor)  Which came in a handy a few times as I was able to turn down the heat when I went to my parents and forgot to re-program it into "Away mode".

Anywho.  The last month it's been acting up.  Not going to the temps I set (70F at 6:45-8am, then 62, then back to 70 at 3-9pm, then back to 62), but acting like it was stuck in away mode, and picking it's own temps. 

Send e-mail  "Hey, my thermostat is stuck in away mode and not changing the settings I'm entering/programming".

I get a phone call from Ecofactor

Them:  "Well the reason it's not going to the temps you set is because we/it has analyzed your usage and have optimized the settings to produce the maximum savings and energy efficiency."

Me:  "No.  I do dialysis.  I have set the temps to the levels I need to do my treatments in comfort.  I don't want some G-dDamn box on the wall trying to outthink me.  I set the temps to what I need.  I get plenty of savings with my setting and my fireplace.  Hell, I don't even turn on my A/C until it gets to be over 95F at night.  Make it do what I want it to do, our I will rip it out of the wall and go get one from the hardware store."

Them:  "Ummm...err....sorry, we'll just let it run on your settings."

Me: " Thank you." Click.

I don't need NiCor and ComEd trying run my heat/cooling.   I get $10 a month off my bill in the summer because there's a box on my AC so that they can "cycle" it, when demand is high in the summer.   I hope they have fun "cycling" something that isn't even running.  =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Ecofactor
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:41 PM »
Calling "Central Services" Will seldom get you the result you desire expeditiously. Maybe you need to put a call in to Harry Tuttle!  ;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:52:25 AM »
Calling "Central Services" Will seldom get you the result you desire expeditiously. Maybe you need to put a call in to Harry Tuttle!  ;)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »
Did you ask them for a 27b-6?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
Any guesses on how soon remote regulated thermostats become required by the goobermint?

SWAT raids on homes that are suspected of tampering with their heat allotment?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Any guesses on how soon remote regulated thermostats become required by the goobermint?

SWAT raids on homes that are suspected of tampering with their heat allotment?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
Well, there's a quiet war on woodstoves, so quite probable we could have the Borg deciding how warm we can be.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »

hmm...IIRC alifornia is already ding this or planning on it- remote control of thermostat setting in residences...
 can't remember where i read it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »
Well, there's a quiet war on woodstoves, so quite probable we could have the Borg deciding how warm we can be.

They can have my woodstove when they pry it from my cold dead hearth. [ar15]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
*snort* it wouldn't last long, even if they tried. Those politations who think up such things depend on the female vote.

Have you ever stood between a pregnent woman and the high switch on an A/C unit in the middle of summer?
I don't recomend it. :tinfoil:

not to mention, those of us females who are not always freezing the minute temps drop below 60 are few and far between.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
not to mention, those of us females who are not always freezing the minute temps drop below 72 are few and far between.

FTFY.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »

I still have mercury thermostats...  Just wire them in parallel with the goobermint ones.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
between this and a mandatory gps for the car, we should be covered.   :facepalm:   when do we get the calorie counting spoons?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »
I still have mercury thermostatsSwitches...  Just wire them in parallel with the goobermint ones.

Obvious bomb making material and a sure sign of domestic terrorism.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
[APSGreenieFaction] But its a good thing! Its for the ebvironment! You dont want the air to be like China's air do you?[/APSGreenieFaction]
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
[APSGreenieFaction] But its a good thing! Its for the ebvironment! You dont want the air to be like China's air do you?[/APSGreenieFaction]
I want to be able to cut my air with a knife, just like they did in Merry Ole' England at the turn of the century.If it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me [/Grampa Simpson voice]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.