Author Topic: You are rich if you make $ 100 K per year in the US  (Read 12084 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
You are rich if you make $ 100 K per year in the US
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520834/One-Americans-earn-100-000-year-point-lifetime.html

Interesting: by some standards if you make $ 100K per year, you are considered rich.  Although in reading the article, I can't figure out if this income cut-off point came from a survey done by an academic in St. Louis or government figures or what.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re: You are rich if you make $ 100 K per year in the US
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »
Income has little to do with 'wealth.'
Aperson earning $100,000 in the rural Midwest or South is going to be a whole lot wealthier than someone in NYC or San Francisco making the same. 
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »
I could live like a king here in AL on $100K a year. Even $50K a year goes a long, long way. I can get along just fine on $24K.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
At $100K per year, you might be able to afford health insurance  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
At $100K per year, you might be able to afford health insurance  :lol:

Sure, if you want the obamaplan with the $100K deductable.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »
The only way health insurance is affordable for me right now, at that income, is through Tricare. It's damn near the biggest reason i'm staying in the reserve component.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »
Combined, my wife and I pull in more than $110K...

but we then pay back over $3,500 in student loan payments we took out so that we could get the education to earn that much.  No one seems to take that into account,  and they wonder why we have such a modest home.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »
Compared to Dik Dik Dirk in some armpit nation a McDonalds employee is a millionaire.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
Income has little to do with 'wealth.'
Aperson earning $100,000 in the rural Midwest or South is going to be a whole lot wealthier than someone in NYC or San Francisco making the same. 

What I make here in Podunkia would suck out loud in LA, SF or NYC. Here I'm a good bit above average but by no means rich.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
What I make here in Podunkia would suck out loud in LA, SF or NYC. Here I'm a good bit above average but by no means rich.

Screw that transcontinental stuff - 100 miles North or  East or West and my buying power goes down by almost a full 50%.  Head South and it goes up by about 20%.  Head out over the mountains and I might as well be living in pre-1970's Belieze or Costa Rica or Baja California.  (And although I can understand it a bit better than Espanol, they do talk different out there.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
Let's not forget the idea of investment/expenses. Tax man says my commute to work doesn't count but I sure as heck loose a sizable chunk of my annual income there.  Ect Ect Ect
When given these designation amounts, I wonder who is counting and how are they counting.  I remember learning how wealth was counted in college.  Parent's have such and such an income; well, that counts as yours even tho they aren't sharing.  When the gov is involved its not about reality, its the 3 card monty for wealth redistribution to targeted groups. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520834/One-Americans-earn-100-000-year-point-lifetime.html

Interesting: by some standards if you make $ 100K per year, you are considered rich.  Although in reading the article, I can't figure out if this income cut-off point came from a survey done by an academic in St. Louis or government figures or what.

Neat.  I certainly don't feel "rich."

I haven't been making 6 figures long enough to really appreciate it, I guess,  but I've kept my expenses the same as when I was a student. I just go to fancier restaurants now when I go out.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:05:15 AM »

I haven't been making 6 figures long enough to really appreciate it, I guess,  but I've kept my expenses the same as when I was a student. I just go to fancier restaurants now when I go out.

Applebees/TGIFridays are merely more expensive that McDs/Hardees.  :P

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:18 AM »

A 1-percenter in our midst! Seize him!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
America: where the Microsofty pulling down a quarter million a year and the guy who serves him at a restaurant both think they're "middle class." Which is why every politician promises free puppies and blowjobs to "the middle class."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »
Which is why every politician promises free puppies and blowjobs to "the middle class."

Huh.  I am still waiting for my delivery of both.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
A single $100K income in the Seattle area is what - an apartment and a Kia ?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »
I got the puppies- Spending the rest on vet bills and BJs.
The taxes suck as well.
Seriously though- our household income is a lot more than that.
Take out living expenses (with two teens), taxes, retirement savings, college planning, insurance, etc... we don't have a lot of discretionary income left over. The English forget that we actually have to pay for such things.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:53:36 AM by Lee »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
The taxes suck as well.

Yeah, the more you make, the more the government makes.  :mad:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »
A single $100K income in the Seattle area is what - an apartment and a Kia ?   ;/

Pretty much, if you want to live in the trendy parts of downtown or the Eastside.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »
I know quite a few people here in dual $100K plus income households, many of whom bought their two bedroom homes a few years back when they were going for $800K. Between mortgages, taxes, and kids, they don't have a whole lot of discretionary money available.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »
Right now I feel poor. but that's because my house hasn't rented out yet, so i'm paying a mortgage AND rent.

We also drive nice vehicles. Not the smartest thing, but oh well. I've been paying extra on my truck that I've had for a few years now. When it's paid off, that'll help
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »
My Dad never made a lot of money, but my parents put all their money into a nice house and working vehicles.  People thought we were "rich" even though the house was most all they had.  It doesn't matter if you are "rich" or not.  People who are lazy or make bad decisions think you have more stuff than them and they will call you rich.   

To me, I am not rich until I don't have to work to pay the bills.  No one ever really counts the truly wealthy when all this is added up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
Many an 18-B client has been impressed at my having more than one suit and tie... but drive a nicer car than I do.

(18-B is a public defender alternate, meaning they qualify for public assistance)
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »
Huh.  I am still waiting for my delivery of both.

I'll be over later.

One year where the wife and my combined income pre-tax was around $100k. Single paid off car, modest house, no lavish lifestyle etc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.