Author Topic: FBI cant?  (Read 7183 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: FBI cant?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 11:19:13 AM »
Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls.  My mind just doesn't always work "that way."

Moving along, now, as I said, the cylinder protrudes from my pocket, making it look all bulgey, but it doesn't look like I'm packing a lot of firepower like the nine does.

Terry

It's definitely not good to have your cylinder protruding   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
Yikes!  And I edited that to avoid saying, "...like I had a rod in my pants... (or pocket)!"

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:45:26 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »
My first carry was a full size 1911 in a Ross Leather Model 18 IWB.  The belt slide is secured to the holster with a Chicago screw (it can be mounted to either side, making the holster ambidextrous) which allows for user adjustable carry angle.  I fiddled with that angle, going for comfort of carry and optimum grip presentation for the draw.  When I later switched to a compact 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 I was surprised, and a bit pleased, to find that the angle I settled on in the adjustable rake holster is the same as that of the SS2 , which is fixed at the factory.

With the gun riding deep in the holster, I found that the more nearly vertical I set the rake, the less grip is exposed above the belt.  I concluded my draw is too compromised before I reach the vertical.  This is, of course, an IWB issue not applying to outside the belt holsters.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:44:43 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
Is there an FBI recommendation for deep-concealment ankle rigs?

I found that an ankle holster, which usually is used on the left ankle, butt facing rearwards, is better for me on the inside right ankle, butt facing forward.  (I'm right-handed.)

I experimented with that a couple of years ago when I had to deep conceal for a couple of affairs (tie, no jacket) in the middle of summer and that's the way it seemed to work best, even with a relatively heavy Detective Special.

The presentation to my hand was better, even though getting to the gun in the first place was a bit of a "project."

Terry

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:45:42 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
I just thought I'd point out that Tommy Theis makes straight drop holsters of the hide & kydex variety, if anyone is looking for such a thing.

By way of warning I had a couple of problems with my (canted) Theis holster. I had to adjust the retention with a hair dryer, and cut away some of the kydex where it got all up on my Novak-style rear sights and 1911 grip panels. The latter didn't really interfere with the fit of the gun, but I just didn't think the kydex should have been touching those two parts.

So I don't really recommend him, unless you are looking for something less expensive, or can't find the straight drop elsewhere.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
Forgot to post this:

"Cross draw???