Author Topic: Fresh Jams  (Read 1210 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Fresh Jams
« on: September 09, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »
Man, GunnySkox is on a roll up ins APS lately, huh?

Anydangway.

Observe the intended theme of this thread: Tell us all about your latest musical acquisitions, and, if'n you want, the ones before that.

Just yesterday I procured Horse of a Different Color and Comin' to Your City. I'd previously pirated the former, but given my somewhat recent pledge to quit stealing music, I thought that I should pick it up.

I like almost all of the tracks on Horse of a Different Color, and my favorite just yet on Comin' to Your City is "8th of November"

Before these latest, my last couple of albums were The Mercury Program's "A Data Learn the Language" and Explosions in the Sky's remastered version of their first album, which I can't name because I didn't import it into iTunes, because so far every EitS album I've downloaded has been scratched, meaning I had to go download the damnable music to listen to it, and in my rush to get rid of all my pillaged music, I killed all the EitS.

*grumble*
Grr..

*rumble*
Ugh. It's 4:10 in the afternoon and I haven't eaten yet today. Time for some pizza.

~GnSx

...has left the building.

Fresh Jams
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 03:01:45 PM »
I just picked up every single thing the Reverend Horton Heat has ever done.

Plus I just ordered "Queen of Pain" by Devil Doll.

grislyatoms

• friends
Fresh Jams
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 04:00:06 PM »
I just got Gerry Rafferty's "Greatest Hits" compilation. Good stuff.

Been on a late '70's jones lately.

Firefall, Poco, Little River Band, Toto, etc.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

cosine

• Administrator
Fresh Jams
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 05:53:16 PM »
The last two albums I acquired were The Sidewinder and Cornbread.

On my mind recently has been Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs and Unplugged, so I think I'll go pick those two up as soon as I save up a few dollars.
Andy

American By Blood

Fresh Jams
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 10:15:06 PM »
The new Agalloch album, "Ashes Against the Grain"

Great stuff.
"What we have we hold--No surrender!"

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Fresh Jams
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 06:24:18 PM »

Dannyboy

• friend
Fresh Jams
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:19:56 AM »
The last CD I picked up was the new Helmet disc, Monochrome.  It's not bad but it's no Aftertaste.  I'm also trying to find the new Guttermouth disc, Shave the Planet.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Fresh Jams
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 02:07:20 PM »
Quote from: wingnutx
Cool recommendations there! I listen to the Dropkick Murphys all the time but I hadn't heard of any of the other bands.

Fresh Jams
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 02:08:34 PM »
I just got my Devil Doll CD in the mail...she is the sex!

http://www.devil-doll.com/audio/bourbon.mp3

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Fresh Jams
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 08:02:15 PM »
The last CD I picked up was Pet Sounds...

Last DVD I had going in The Bunker was Pulse.
Blog under construction

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
Fresh Jams
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 11:29:18 AM »
Yeah, the Reverend Horton Heat does indeed rock -- I've only got "Space Heater" so far, though.

My last acquisition? For some reason (and through no fault of my own) I have decided that Alice In Chains were, in fact, brilliant. Don't ask me why.

Before that, it was the Dresden Dolls. Then Peeping Tom (Mike Patten's latest venture). Before that it gets a bit hazy, but Pendulum were in there somewhere...

Fresh Jams
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 02:53:02 PM »
We're still working on June's strawberry.

Oh. Smiley

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Fresh Jams
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 09:20:10 AM »
bump.

Fresh Jams
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 03:32:37 PM »
I just got Tiesto's 2004 album "Just Be". I'm definitely not an electronica connisseur but I really like this album. For me, a lot of electronica is overly repetitive or lacks direction...which might be fine if you're on X but it gets old when you're dead sober. This album always kept me guessing; I wasn't sure when the vocals would kick in, when the tempo would change, etc. It even includes a good remix of Barber's "Adagio for Strings". A great album overall.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Fresh Jams
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 06:08:45 PM »
I buy new music like I eat green olives: few, far between, and preferably soaking in gin.

The last album I purchased was http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-Stand-Alone-Complex/dp/B0009KQOUQ/ref=cm_pdp_profile_rp_title/103-9438071-3166265?ie=UTF8

However, the most recent albums I have that get the most play are:

http://www.amazon.com/Morning-Sci-Fi-Hybrid/dp/B0000AYL1U/ref=sr_11_1/103-9438071-3166265?ie=UTF8

and certain selections from Juno Reactor's entire album history (I prefer their ambient stuff).

That being said, I am also a huge fan of Jethro Tull (thanks to my mom), so go figure.

My hidden gem has to be the ambient tracks from X-Com: UFO Defense (Microprose 1994) by John Broomhall.  If you can, get the PS1 version and pop it into your CD player.  If you have a good subwoofer you will be very impressed.  The tracks to which I refer are from the combat sequences.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!