Author Topic: Dallas PD Chief Tweets terminations of employees  (Read 1103 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Dallas PD Chief Tweets terminations of employees
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:24:01 PM »
https://www.vocativ.com/01-2014/im-firing-telling-world-sins-twitter/

Dallas TX PD Chief Twitters terminations of employees.

Not sure that he is on firm legal ground about publishing personnel actions before they become final.  The "caveat" that these folks have the right of appeal probably will not save him.  I know that in Virginia personnel actions are not public record.  If criminal/civil action follows a personnel action that is public record.  Dept. of Corrections here used to issue press releases if (former) staff were convicted or had judgements against them - but never a word about firings or or demotions or suspensions.

Anybody want to convince me that this "transparency" will improve the public perception of the force?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Dallas PD Chief Tweets terminations of employees
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »
Regardless of the legality of the action it demonstrates a total lack of class on the part of the PD chief.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:28:08 PM »
Whats the saying...something about not airing your dirty laundry in public...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
It's certainly a 180o deviation from the normal rug-sweeping policies.  I'm all for transparency.  It seems unlikely this method will have a positive effect on employee morale or public perception.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:23:27 PM »
I'm sort of conflicted.

It seems that such matters should be as public as possible.  I pay their salaries, I have a right to know what is happening when such a matter comes to termination.  Bad cops don't get to keep these things private when it comes to serious dereliction and outright lawbreaking.  He's not publically admonishing a rookie for forgetting his tie, he canned cops who got arrested driving drunk and who capped surrendering suspects.  Its the kind of thing that should be posted in the town square.  We rely on the news on television and the internet for this right now.  

The one with the domestic might be on the line, and the dereliction thing is iffy.  The shooter and the drunks deserve no protection.

Morale in the DPD is a flat zero already, and the public trust is iffy in a good neighborhood.  He'll get a dead cat bounce if nothing else.

I give him a D: Ok idea, poorly thought out, poorly executed.  Net gain, but only just.  Twitter is not the right medium, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:27:11 PM by Azrael256 »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Dallas PD Chief Tweets terminations of employees
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »
Chidf brown is a mediocrity.  Kinda halfway on everything.  His predecessor kunkle was an excellent chief and brown suffers in comparison.  Brown is better  than the pos that preceeded kunkle though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
I'm sort of conflicted.

It seems that such matters should be as public as possible.  I pay their salaries, I have a right to know what is happening when such a matter comes to termination.  Bad cops don't get to keep these things private when it comes to serious dereliction and outright lawbreaking.  He's not publically admonishing a rookie for forgetting his tie, he canned cops who got arrested driving drunk and who capped surrendering suspects.  Its the kind of thing that should be posted in the town square.  We rely on the news on television and the internet for this right now.  

The one with the domestic might be on the line, and the dereliction thing is iffy.  The shooter and the drunks deserve no protection.

Morale in the DPD is a flat zero already, and the public trust is iffy in a good neighborhood.  He'll get a dead cat bounce if nothing else.

I give him a D: Ok idea, poorly thought out, poorly executed.  Net gain, but only just.  Twitter is not the right medium, IMO.

If you're gonna announce that kind of thing then a formal press release that is done up right is the way to go. "The Dallas PD is relieving Officer *expletive deleted*up for cause due to his/her transgressions of ABC"

Twitter is tacky, period.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
If you're gonna announce that kind of thing then a formal press release that is done up right is the way to go. "The Dallas PD is relieving Officer *expletive deleted*up for cause due to his/her transgressions of ABC"

Twitter is tacky, period.

But that is the new hotness.  :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.