Author Topic: 40 Interesting Maps  (Read 4778 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
40 Interesting Maps
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
There are some really interesting maps here, but the one that made me say "whut?" was the "highest paid public employee by state" map.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/40-maps-that-will-help-you-make-sense-of-the-world/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: 40 Interesting Maps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:02:01 PM »
There are some really interesting maps here, but the one that made me say "whut?" was the "highest paid public employee by state" map.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/40-maps-that-will-help-you-make-sense-of-the-world/

Sportz is a religion now...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
Schools have become a life suppport system for sports programs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »
#1 is going to help a LOT when playing GeoGuessr.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:27:23 AM »

A lot of people say "sports builds character), however. Most people I've known, have their "character" built long before they got into sports. Sport only build on the "character" they already have.

Agree with what RKL has to say about the matter.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:28:12 AM »
I'm not against school sports but IMO way too much pressure is put on the athletes. I know very few people that played even high school sports that don't have some permanent reminder. Knees, ankles, backs...  and for what?
The school system that gets my tax money has a big fancy gym/basketball arena, very nice football/baseball/track facility but eliminated the all the art programs. Hell the only reason they have a music program is so they can have a band at the football games.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: 40 Interesting Maps
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:33:21 AM »
I'm not against school sports but IMO way too much pressure is put on the athletes. I know very few people that played even high school sports that don't have some permanent reminder. Knees, ankles, backs...  and for what?
The school system that gets my tax money has a big fancy gym/basketball arena, very nice football/baseball/track facility but eliminated the all the art programs. Hell the only reason they have a music program is so they can have a band at the football games.
And more often than not the same school that builds a massive stadium with flashy screens, drops unholy amounts of money on equipment and coach salaries, etc will then claim no money is left for an athletic trainer to make sure the kids are safe and taken care of properly.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 03:59:18 PM »
Anytime you have a sport that could potentially lead to a career, there will be people who take it very seriously.  Most of those public employees are college football coaches.  Many of those programs are self sufficient.  Maybe not the entire athletic program, but football itself often is. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »
What got me was the world map with the circle that said more poeple live in that circle than outside of it. 

The other one was the one putting the enitre world population into one area if it was at the same population density of certain cities.  Made you realize that while there are a lot of people, it could be worse.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »
Anytime you have a sport that could potentially lead to a career, there will be people who take it very seriously.  Most of those public employees are college football coaches.  Many of those programs are self sufficient.  Maybe not the entire athletic program, but football itself often is.  
Looking again at public employees, why do both North and South Dakota have medical schools?  I didn't think those states were that big.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »

Sports also have brought in lots of money for schools with reductions in state funding. Winning teams means fans spend money on events and alumni make donations to foundations.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
What got me was the world map with the circle that said more poeple live in that circle than outside of it. 

The other one was the one putting the enitre world population into one area if it was at the same population density of certain cities.  Made you realize that while there are a lot of people, it could be worse.

The whole Malthusian alarmism of the 60's and 70's has pretty much evaporated. And it was relatively unsexy farming science that saved everyone. And the population growth seems to be poised to level off, or decrease eventually.

I think it'll get to about 10-12 billion, and fall back.

The main challenge is getting everyone in the world enough electricity, electronics, and fresh water to raise their standard of living to that of the countries who are already seeing growth level off.

Makes one wonder what OTHER kinds of alarmist politically tainted science will seem "quaint" in another 20-30 years.  =D

Geoguessr challenge URL. http://url.geoguessr.com/5Xwt I got 10623 points.
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
Makes one wonder what OTHER kinds of alarmist politically tainted science will seem "quaint" in another 20-30 years.  =D

Global Stasis.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 12:17:02 AM »
Looking again at public employees, why do both North and South Dakota have medical schools?  I didn't think those states were that big.

Having a medical school doesn't mean that you're training doctors/surgeons there.  We have a huge need for nurses, trauma techs, etc...  It's easier to get them if you train them locally.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
Having a medical school doesn't mean that you're training doctors/surgeons there.  We have a huge need for nurses, trauma techs, etc...  It's easier to get them if you train them locally.
only by the loosest of definitions do nurses attend "medical school".  As the term is generally understood, a medical school turns out doctors.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »

Why do I doubt the reality of this map?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
Also, the Dakotas punch above their weight, academically.  Meaning, more Dakotan students are med school material, proportionally, than in most states.  Also, to a somewhat lesser degree, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »

Something I know about since I am involved with my local medical school's training program.  There is some good data showing that people who are trained in more rural medical schools tend to either end up practicing in those areas or other rural areas, thus helping the low numbers of providers in rural areas.  So if you go to a small medical school in the more rural part of the country, you are more likely to set up shop as a doctor in a small town. 

For example, a brand new osteopathic medical school started up in 2008 in Yakima, Washington: a city of about 90,000 in Central Washington.  One of their primary goals is to turn out providers who will practice in medically-underserved communities.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.