Author Topic: Ruger to End New Semi-Auto Pistol Sales in CA  (Read 3570 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ruger to End New Semi-Auto Pistol Sales in CA
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
This was just announced at the SHOT show a couple of days ago. I stand with Ruger.

Apparently it came about because Ruger made a very slight design change to the SR22 and CA was going to not only make them resubmit it to the "safe" handgun list, but also force it into the 2014 list guidelines, which require microstamping of all submitted semi-autos. Ruger apparently saw the writing on the wall and made the decision to no longer sell new semi-autos in CA, as they would eventually be making one version of a gun for CA and another version for the other 49 states. Whether a business or political (or both) decision, they are making the right call.

Some other manufacturers have provided a "CA compliant" version of a pistol while supplying another to everyone else (pistols with magazine disconnects are an example), but that may be coming to an end as well. SA may be following in Ruger's footsteps, and Glock will probably not retool their Gen4 machines for a CA version. Once they stop making the Gen3, that will be that.

I saw all this on Calguns in a SHOT show report. Sadly, a good number of posters on a gun rights forum are mad at Ruger instead of the CA government. It's about 40/60 in the comments.

If all the major manufacturers followed suit, this could potentially lead to a Heller-like case. If only they would be like Barrett and say "no sales to LE" as well, the whole thing could come to a head in a year or two versus the likely many years it will take for any changes on non-LE civilian sales only.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/robert-farago/breaking-ruger-stop-selling-semis-california/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Ruger to Stop New Semi-Auto Pistol Sales in CA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
If only they would be like Barrett and say "no sales to LE" as well

Does LE use any Ruger products  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
Does LE use any Ruger products  ???

From some threads I read on Calguns, as posted by LE, many use Rugers as a backup and/or off-duty gun. The greater point though is, if EVERY manufacturer, not just Ruger, stopped LE sales. Glock has the opportunity to do so when/if they choose not to submit Gen4s to CA, but I'm guessing the CA LE market is an area where they will hold profit over politics.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:47:53 AM »
From some threads I read on Calguns, as posted by LE, many use Rugers as a backup and/or off-duty gun. The greater point though is, if EVERY manufacturer, not just Ruger, stopped LE sales. Glock has the opportunity to do so when/if they choose not to submit Gen4s to CA, but I'm guessing the CA LE market is an area where they will hold profit over politics.

Do cops buy their backup and off duty guns through the LE agency  ???

As private purchasers, the cops are going to be screwed along with everyone else in CA.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »
As private purchasers, the cops are going to be screwed along with everyone else in CA.

Nope. LE here can get any handgun they want, regardless if it's CA legal or not, even for personal use. They just walk into a gun shop, show their badge, and place their order. They have always been exempt from the safe handgun roster.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Ruger to End New Semi-Auto Pistol Sales in CA
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
If the firearms industry does bring this to a head in this matter, it would be wonderful.  Granted, Ruger does not have much/any LEO service pistol contracts.  But, the LCP/LCR is a prominent CCW and backup piece.  When LAPD officers can't get an LCP, they might take notice.

However, I'd predict the feds would just pass a law or ATF would pass a regulation that the blessed badged may purchase firearms over state lines (if they can't already do this).

Old Bill Ruger must really be spinning in that grave of his.

You're right though... Glock is going to be the key player in this.  All of the dominant striker-fired doublestack manufacturers.  S&W, Glock, Springfield, Walther.  As well as the remaining DA/SA makers... Beretta, CZ, Sig und HK.  At a minimum, gotta have Glock, Beretta and S&W on board with Ruger.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Nope. LE here can get any handgun they want, regardless if it's CA legal or not, even for personal use. They just walk into a gun shop, show their badge, and place their order. They have always been exempt from the safe handgun roster.

So your gun shops stock a bunch of "LE only" merchandise  ???

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »
So your gun shops stock a bunch of "LE only" merchandise  ???

CA gunshops can order anything that an FFL can order, they just can't sell it in CA without extra CA government permission slips.

So they may not stock it, but they can special order it.  Until the vendor chain says eff ewe to CA FFL's out of political efforts.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »
CA gunshops can order anything that an FFL can order, they just can't sell it in CA without extra CA government permission slips.

So they may not stock it, but they can special order it.  Until the vendor chain says eff ewe to CA FFL's out of political efforts.

Yup, that.

In fact *I* can buy pistols not on the list by using the Single Shot Exemption (look it up, it's too long for me to explain) as long as I don't mind paying $800 for a $500 pistol. Though it appears there's a good chance that 'loophole" is getting axed by the commies as well.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
I will say this about gun owners in CA.  Y'all are *very* good at reading and following the exact letter of the law.  As dumb as the rest of  think bullet buttons and the single shot exemption and .50DTC are, it's what you had to do to give the legislature the finger. 

Also, Good on Ruger.  Now to see if we can get get some more big makers on the "No LE Sales" bandwagon.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »
I will say this about gun owners in CA.  Y'all are *very* good at reading and following the exact letter of the law.  As dumb as the rest of  think bullet buttons and the single shot exemption and .50DTC are, it's what you had to do to give the legislature the finger. 

Yup, pretty much all due to the extremely sharp attorneys affiliated with Calguns Foundation. I have their legal assistance number programmed into "favorites" on my phone. If I'm ever in a legal situation involving CA LE and my guns, I'm shutting my mouth and immediately dialing that number.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
Y'all need a tsunami to clean up the state  ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/01/23/Smith-Wesson-To-End-Most-CA-Sales-Due-to-Microstamping-Regulation

S&W is joining Ruger.  Maybe.

No explicit word on if they will also abstain from LEA contract sales in the state.  Just says "most" sales.  I'm sensing some weaseling here.
--Lysander Spooner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
I get that same weasely sense.  But given the current state of the internet and general touchyness of gun folks these days selling to Cali LEO's and not private folks would be a pretty risky business move.  M&P's are a big seller, don't want to tic off that base.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »
I was wondering when someone else would join in.  But they'll only stop as they fall off the list, which will happen if they make any change to the gun.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/22/smith-wesson-stop-selling-guns-california-due-micr/

Smith & Wesson President and CEO James Debney said, “As our products fall off the roster due to California’s interpretation of the Unsafe Handgun Act, we will continue to work with the NRA and the NSSF to oppose this poorly conceived law which mandates the unproven and unreliable  concept of microstamping and makes it impossible for Californians to have access to the best products with the latest innovations.”

Mr. Debney added that he encourages the public to “support the NSSF’s lawsuit and other efforts to stop microstamping, before it impacts your constitutional rights.” The law was passed in 2007 but did not go into effect until May 2013.

The company reported that all M&P pistols (other than the M&P Shield) will fall off the roster by August because of performance enhancements, which will make them subject to the microstamping regulation. The M&P9c has already been taken off the list, and several more M&P models will be unavailable for Californians to purchase by the end of January.

Smith & Wesson will continue to sell revolvers, bolt action rifles and its newly-launched Shield and SDVE pistols in California.

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
I get that same weasely sense.  But given the current state of the internet and general touchyness of gun folks these days selling to Cali LEO's and not private folks would be a pretty risky business move.  M&P's are a big seller, don't want to tic off that base.

I would be curious what sort of contracts S&W has with departments and what the duration is.  Might have hands tied a bit.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge