Author Topic: Sky Whale  (Read 5313 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Sky Whale
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »
I thought you were a pilot, not an engineer.

Same difference: they just open up the steam valve and let the rails computer guide the plain.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Sky Whale
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
We are asleep.
Relaxed and worry free then.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 11:58:25 PM »
And what do you suppose will happen if the Sky Whale gets tangled in Sky Net?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »
Save the Sky Whales!   :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »
Same difference: they just open up the steam valve and let the rails computer guide the plain.

I do have to wonder why Clippy hasn't made it to the cockpit yet, given how long the planes have been overcomputerized.

"You appear to be landing.  Wouldn't arming the spoilers be a nice idea?  How about flaps and slats, too?"
"Your left engine appears to be burning fuel at a rate four times what it's capable of.  Shall I bring up the fuel leak checklist, or would you rather start a transfer so you can leak the rest of it too?"

Of course, with the price of tiny, extremely durable HD cameras, I find it somewhere between silly and grossly negligent that there's not one pointed at every potential problem on every commercial plane.  We're talking 2-3 ounces per camera, plus a bit for either wires or a wireless transmitter, to give the pilots an on-demand walkaround at any time.  A dozen of them fully installed should cost less than a full load of fuel and weigh less than a large carryon bag.  Is the computer saying the #3 engine is on fire?  Click and look.  Controls acting funny?  Scan through the wing and tail views to see what's actually happening.

The number of incidents where pilots took ultimately wrong actions because of insufficient information, in situations where even a rearview mirror and a floodlight or two would have allowed them to solve the right problem, is disturbing.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »

It was called the "Sky Flash,"  IIRC, which is a lot nicer sounding name than "Sky Whale," which makes me think of harpoons....\

I think of "Beached Whale", laying helplessly in the sand.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 02:19:50 PM »
I do have to wonder why Clippy hasn't made it to the cockpit yet, given how long the planes have been overcomputerized.

"You appear to be landing.  Wouldn't arming the spoilers be a nice idea?  How about flaps and slats, too?"
"Your left engine appears to be burning fuel at a rate four times what it's capable of.  Shall I bring up the fuel leak checklist, or would you rather start a transfer so you can leak the rest of it too?"

Of course, with the price of tiny, extremely durable HD cameras, I find it somewhere between silly and grossly negligent that there's not one pointed at every potential problem on every commercial plane.  We're talking 2-3 ounces per camera, plus a bit for either wires or a wireless transmitter, to give the pilots an on-demand walkaround at any time.  A dozen of them fully installed should cost less than a full load of fuel and weigh less than a large carryon bag.  Is the computer saying the #3 engine is on fire?  Click and look.  Controls acting funny?  Scan through the wing and tail views to see what's actually happening.

The number of incidents where pilots took ultimately wrong actions because of insufficient information, in situations where even a rearview mirror and a floodlight or two would have allowed them to solve the right problem, is disturbing.

Weight isn't the problem, or even cost (surprisingly), but the certification is. And the maintenance.   Is everything crash worthy, fire resistant, EMI shielded, and liability insurance funded?  Some bean counter decided it isn't worth effort.

Personally, I like the idea of cameras to see the gear, but where would we put the monitor?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
And what do you suppose will happen if the Sky Whale gets tangled in Sky Net?
:laugh:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
Weight isn't the problem, or even cost (surprisingly), but the certification is. And the maintenance.   Is everything crash worthy, fire resistant, EMI shielded, and liability insurance funded?  Some bean counter decided it isn't worth effort.

Personally, I like the idea of cameras to see the gear, but where would we put the monitor?

TCP/IP over satellite. So it would be in India.  =)

Or if it's Spirit or Southwest, crowdsource it. Monitors on the seat backs.

I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »

'Cuz Tallpine can't program anything more complicated than 8-bit. ;)  WordPerfect 5.1, okay.  Office '97?  No way. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
'Cuz Tallpine can't program anything more complicated than 8-bit. ;)  WordPerfect 5.1, okay.  Office '97?  No way. =D

"Your flight control system has been updated.  Would you like to reboot now?"

(this, on short final  :P )

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »
"Your flight control system has been updated.  Would you like to reboot now?"

(this, on short final  :P )

This would be where the hero pilot rips up a floor panel, and starts yanking on the linkages manually. Except there aren't any.  =D
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

Well, older craft being retrofitted, that still have a flight engineer spot, would put it there.  Others, heck, mount a flatscreen on the inside of the cockpit door.  Looking over your shoulder is still quicker and easier than climbing around various maintenance bays.  (For the craft that even have a bay accessible from inside to give a view of the nose gear.  Incidentally, why does it always seem to be the nose gear giving problems?)  Readily available surveillance combiners already have a multiplexed "overview" that can run most of the time, and almost all of them have a remote so you don't have to get up to cycle through the individual cameras.

Looks like at least the A380 doesn't have anything on the ceiling sides, beyond the shared switch panel, so that's plenty of room for a 6-12" display.  A display on the back of one of the main seats would be available for anyone in the jump seat.  Train up some flight attendants in how to interpret and communicate what's on the screen, and when a situation arises, have one come up to the jump seat if continuous monitoring is needed.  Obviously, if an instructor is present, this would be a good extra job, and a big training help at times.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »

Same monitor that you use to play solitaire and post on APS  :P

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 08:07:31 AM »

I never!

I don't have an internet connection on the plane.   :mad:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »
I never!

I don't have an internet connection on the plane.   :mad:

Thank goodness the iPad has the 4G at 38,000 feet, eh?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »

Which raises another thought; when the plane is that heavily computerized, every "multi function" display should be in-flight configurable to show every flight-relevant display.  It's really just another LCD monitor anyway, and there are plenty of times when 3-4 specific displays need constant close monitoring while other (including normally important displays, remember aviate, then navigate, then communicate; if you don't keep the plane in the air, all the nav screens and other messages in the world are useless) displays can wait until the current problem is handled.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
Which raises another thought; when the plane is that heavily computerized, every "multi function" display should be in-flight configurable to show every flight-relevant display.  It's really just another LCD monitor anyway, and there are plenty of times when 3-4 specific displays need constant close monitoring while other (including normally important displays, remember aviate, then navigate, then communicate; if you don't keep the plane in the air, all the nav screens and other messages in the world are useless) displays can wait until the current problem is handled.

I agree. The EMB190 is close to doing that.