Author Topic: For the Corvette lovers  (Read 2779 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
For the Corvette lovers
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:19:52 PM »

And for the Mustang lovers

Ex-sister-in-law's house. My niece and her husband and son live with them.

Everybody got out OK, no injuries.
Looks like it started with a space heater being used to keep a couple of pet rabbits warm in an unheated utility room.
No smoke detectors in the house but my niece discovered it when she had to get up to go to the bathroom.

Also from what I understand the gunsafe saved all but 2 of the guns which were out of the safe, a nightstand pistol and my nephews Marlin 336.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: For the Corvette lovers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:22:54 PM »
im surprised the gunsafe protected the guns
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »
That's the report I got. Nephew also told me their important papers (car titles, wedding license and such) survived in a wooden desk.

He also said the ammo outside the safe was cooking off pretty regular.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:46:30 PM »
Glad they made it out OK, ex's or not. Could happen to any one of us.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:51:05 AM »
Sometimes I get along better with my brother's ex than I do with him.

From what I've heard they were fairly well insured.
This is their 2nd total loss house fire.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:31:31 AM »
im surprised the gunsafe protected the guns

Depends where is was located and how much of the structure piled around it an burned. I had a friend who had a run of the mill fire gun safe in the basement and his house looked worse than the one in the OP and his guns survived the fire, they did have some water damage from the fire fighters putting out the fire.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »
When I took down my christmas decorations, i was taking down a string of those larger-size light strings, when I found that a blanket had fallen over one of the lamps, and the lamp got hot enough to burn all the way through the carpet to the floorboards. I'm glad modern carpets have fire-retardant properties. It's pretty scary how easy a tragedy could happen.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
Right about this time last year, my next door neighbor's house burned to the ground.  He had a vintage Thunderbird in the garage.  Coincidently, a space heater they used to heat a pet rabbit hutch under their deck caused the fire.  They all escaped OK.

Looks like if you raise rabbits, the furry critters need to keep themselves warm without space heater help.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »
Rabbits are fine out in below zero as long as they have food and wet water.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 09:28:55 PM »
Rabbits are fine out in below zero as long as they have food and wet water.

Indeed they are. I had six wild bunnies at my bird feeder when it was 14 below. Hey, they wear fur coats for a reason!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »

Everybody got out OK, no injuries.
Looks like it started with a space heater being used to keep a couple of pet rabbits warm in an unheated utility room.
No smoke detectors in the house but my niece discovered it when she had to get up to go to the bathroom.

Also from what I understand the gunsafe saved all but 2 of the guns which were out of the safe, a nightstand pistol and my nephews Marlin 336.

Dang! Glad everyone's ok!

What was it, a C5??

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »
I'm not sure what vintage Corvette it was, I'm thinking late '80s early '90s. The Mustang was a late '90s 5.0L convertable.

Samuel Adams

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »
You may want to get those guns checked out by a good gunsmith.

I don't know if you were around THR when Labgrade died in a house fire in 2004, but all his guns were intact.  His friends who helped Crystal with the cleanup took them to a gunsmith who said the steel had gotten hot enough to affect the heat treatment on most of them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
That was one of the first things I suggested when they told me the guns had survived.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic