Author Topic: Thoughts on college  (Read 5080 times)

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
Re: Thoughts on college
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 03:27:50 AM »
You get what you put in.  You can be a very successful at whatever you do if you put the effort into it.  However, getting a degree in a field where there are not a lot of jobs means that you had better be the very best of your field if you want to be employed. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 06:17:05 AM »
As we have noted elsewhere on this board, the STEM degrees and jobs are no guarantees either, unless it is in a computer or engineering occupation.  I am looking to fill a position in my department now for a nursing informatics person, and I am getting umpteen resumes from nurses, either new grads who cannot find jobs, or experienced nurses who have been laid off due to low census.  No one qualified for the position, though.

That suggest two possibilities.  Either you're not offering a high enough starting salary or yours job requirements are unrealistic. But it is a relatively new branch in the  field ( compared to "just" nursing) combining multiple and not necessarily complimentary disciplines.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
However, her degree is in "general studies".

Oh, well in that case, she needs to go back for a MA.

(Yes, I've seen a master's in general studies available at least once.  They call the PhD "education administration," IIRC.)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
That suggest two possibilities.  Either you're not offering a high enough starting salary or yours job requirements are unrealistic. But it is a relatively new branch in the  field ( compared to "just" nursing) combining multiple and not necessarily complimentary disciplines.

It is more that the majority of people in nursing informatics have experience in hospitals only.  I am looking for someone with experience in ambulatory EMRs.  Those are few and far between, apparently.   And someone whose sole experience is working for five years on the med-surg floor using Centricity is not what I want.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
Oh, well in that case, she needs to go back for a MA.

(Yes, I've seen a master's in general studies available at least once.  They call the PhD "education administration," IIRC.)

I've seen a MA and PhD in Higher Education Administration. This is for the people who want to well go into that field or already work for a university and want to get into management. Pretty much if you want to be a boss person, you need to have a terminal degree at a university.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
It is more that the majority of people in nursing informatics have experience in hospitals only.  I am looking for someone with experience in ambulatory EMRs.  Those are few and far between, apparently.   And someone whose sole experience is working for five years on the med-surg floor using Centricity is not what I want.

Is this something like "must have five years experience with Visual Studio 2012" ?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
It is more that the majority of people in nursing informatics have experience in hospitals only.  I am looking for someone with experience in ambulatory EMRs.  Those are few and far between, apparently.   And someone whose sole experience is working for five years on the med-surg floor using Centricity is not what I want.

It appears you are in shortage-land.  I think you know what you need to do to get to the clearing house price for a clean hire of someone with your desired set of skills..

Or be ready to train.  

One thing I have learned after reading countless RFPs and writing a similar number of proposals, is that the cost of tacking on additional requirements costs more than you would think.  

There is a similar phenomenon WRT hiring.  I have seen so many reqs written such that the only person qualified is the person who just left the position.  When you requirement-whip your req such that your pool of applicants sums up to "one" or "none," get ready to pay.   Or pay someone else less and suck up the poorer performance until they get caught up with OJT or discrete training.

Is this something like "must have five years experience with Visual Studio 2012" ?   :lol:

Heh. 

"No Americans responded to my req for five years' experience with Visual Studio for an annual salary of $chickenfeed.  We need more H1B visas!"

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »
Is this something like "must have five years experience with Visual Studio 2012" ? 

I've seen a lot of those, including one that wanted two years of experience in a software package that was still pre-alpha at the time, (I'm pretty sure they hadn't gotten much beyond void(main){/*we'll write this part when/if we sober up*/} and thinking of a name for it.) and ultimately ended up being 95% vaporware.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »
More valuable is someone who can figure out new things.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »
It appears you are in shortage-land.  I think you know what you need to do to get to the clearing house price for a clean hire of someone with your desired set of skills..

This chart also demonstrates what's happening to college degrees.  Due to subsidization the price for the consumer of education is decreased, encouraging more of them.  On a related by different scale, due to the increase in college grads the price for them has decreased.

All generic of course, but it's how you get majors in literary who end up working at pizza joints.  If there were fewer of them, all of them would be able to get jobs in their field.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
More valuable is someone who can figure out new things.

HR does not want smart people like that. They want drones who neatly fill the slot.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »
For a kid now days who is determined to go to college, I would strongly suggest Junior College or Community College.  Figure out your 4 year University of choice, then find a JUCO or CC that has lots of classes that transfer to that university.  Not only will it be a lot cheaper, but it also gives some time for a kid to resolve what he wants to do without spending a mint in tuition.  Also, the kid should be able to make grades at least a letter grade higher than what they would get at a large University. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »
Ever wondered what the trillion + in student loans is really being used for?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-04/what-student-loans-are-really-used-depressing-case-studies?page=3
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-04/what-student-loans-are-really-used-depressing-case-studies?page=3
My reply before reading: beer, pot, Doritos, cheap noodles?

Edit:
Price spent much of the loan money on crack cocaine, cars, motorcycles, jewelry, tattoos and video games.
Yikes.

He is now taking courses for a degree in theater so he can become an actor.
:facepalm:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »

What did I say on Page 1 of this thread?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!