Author Topic: VE HAF RULZ!  (Read 19640 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re:
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
Wanna try again?  Who set the standards. Holler if you need help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Try what again? Did you think I was playing some kind of game with you? I'm not here to answer your questions about Common Core. I've already said I know very little about it. To reiterate my position, though, schools should not answer to any one national standard, regardless who sets it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: VE HAF RULZ!
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
fistful, he was referring to Scout's posts.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »
and they don't HAVE TO answer. they can and some have opted out.  even in midstream as it were
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
Re: Re: Re: VE HAF RULZ!
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
No parents at any of my kids' schools had any input.

Education is a very local matter; standards, curriculum, etc. need to be set at the school board level.

Sawdust

Aren't you in texas? Texas opted not to participate.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 05:32:03 PM »

And the howls form the progressives were heartwarming.  Almost as sweet as the howls when Perry did not expand Medicaid .  He & his folks did the math.  IN 10 years, when the fedgov subsidy stopped, the Medicare program would have been larger than the entire budget of the Texas state giv't.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »
fistful, he was referring to Scout's posts.

Nah, he was talking to me.

not that anything he says is actually clear since he communicates in half sentences

• friends
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »
And the howls form the progressives were heartwarming.  Almost as sweet as the howls when Perry did not expand Medicaid .  He & his folks did the math.  IN 10 years, when the fedgov subsidy stopped, the Medicare program would have been larger than the entire budget of the Texas state giv't.

damn that pesky math

we have terry mac here wanna be a lil obama use executive action to expand medicaid   :facepalm: :facepalm: [barf]

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
^^^ So much better instead to have the people who need care just go to the ER instead and have the hospital incur the bad debt.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re:
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »
Wanna try again?  Who set the standards. Holler if you need help

The National Governors Association.   (Which should be spending their time flipping off the fed.gov not knuckling under.)

For the record, the National Governors Association is a Washington-based group staffed by Washington government do-gooder types.  Purpose is to get States and FedGov working hand-in-hand.

It's wildly illegal for FedGov to set a national school curriculum directly.  No matter.  Let shills like the NGA do it.  Same result in the end.

Here's the stated purpose of Common Core, right off their website:
Building on the excellent foundation of standards states have laid, the Common Core State Standards are the first step in providing our young people with a high-quality education. It should be clear to every student, parent, and teacher what the standards of success are in every school.

Teachers, parents and community leaders have all weighed in to help create the Common Core State Standards. The standards clearly communicate what is expected of students at each grade level. This will allow our teachers to be better equipped to know exactly what they need to help students learn and establish individualized benchmarks for them. The Common Core State Standards focus on core conceptual understandings and procedures starting in the early grades, thus enabling teachers to take the time needed to teach core concepts and procedures well—and to give students the opportunity to master them.

With students, parents and teachers all on the same page and working together for shared goals, we can ensure that students make progress each year and graduate from school prepared to succeed in college and in a modern workforce.

Can someone 'splain to me why local schools need any help at all from Washington to accomplish these goals?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:24:57 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

• friends
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »
cause they are and have been failing at it?  and they want more bucks from uncle sugar

"Founded in 1908, the National Governors Association (NGA) is the collective voice of the nation’s governors and one of Washington, D.C.'s most respected public policy organizations. Its members are the governors of the 55 states, territories and commonwealths. NGA provides governors and their senior staff members with services that range from representing states on Capitol Hill and before the Administration on key federal issues to developing and implementing innovative solutions to public policy challenges through the NGA Center for Best Practices. NGA also provides management and technical assistance to both new and incumbent governors. "

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »
what have you read about how it actually works?

You're the expert. Why don't you explain it?

Explain how thousands of very different communities, and millions of families with different viewpoints, can be in control of their children's education, when every school teaches to a national standard?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »
^^^ So much better instead to have the people who need care just go to the ER instead and have the hospital incur the bad debt.

Can you point to indications that the use of ER goes down once individuals have government healthcare?

(Hint: you're going to find it's the opposite.)

So, let's instead have the government incur EVEN MORE debt than before.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
Can you point to indications that the use of ER goes down once individuals have government healthcare?

(Hint: you're going to find it's the opposite.)

So, let's instead have the government incur EVEN MORE debt than before.

You are missing my point: ER use does go up, but at least the hospitals get paid something for it.  As opposed to the continuous influx of ER patients with no coverage whatsoever, and the hospital incurs the financial liability of providing care and not getting paid for it.  So let's shift the costs from government to hospitals, and we can all stand around and scratch our heads when the hospitals go out of business or close the ER.

PS: An interesting story on our local news last night illustrating this very point:  http://www.king5.com/news/local/Auditor-Hospital-may-be-too-financially-sick-to-survive-244075621.html
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:13:21 AM by MillCreek »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
I'm not so sure that bankrupting the government is any better than bankrupting hospitals.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »
I'm not so sure that bankrupting the government is any better than bankrupting hospitals.

Whatever. The government CAN'T go bankrupt. They can print money!

(Yes, that is the response I get from some liberals.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
And again I ask who sets those standards? A hint
It wasn't washington. Your thought that it was typifies the beliefs of many.  Its understandable since thats what the you tube voices preach

Are we still discussing Common Core? If so, you're wrong. While the development of Common Core is promoted as having been done by a consensus of the states, the fact is that it was primarily developed in and handed down by Washington, and the states basically saluted and genuflected.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »
Are we still discussing Common Core? If so, you're wrong. While the development of Common Core is promoted as having been done by a consensus of the states, the fact is that it was primarily developed in and handed down by Washington, and the states basically saluted and genuflected.

you are mistaken
http://www.corestandards.org/resources/process

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »

• friends
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »

Oh, well that proves it.  :rofl:

our common core expert weighs in?

i was involved in the parent participation part along with some others i know.that reality failing to jibe with the fantasies is a heavy burden.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »

our common core expert weighs in?

i was involved in the parent participation part along with some others i know.that reality failing to jibe with the fantasies is a heavy burden.

You realize that doesn't disprove what Hawkmoon said?

And you realize that you're the one claiming to be an expert?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20140209/NEWS03/140209095/Gorge-concerts-costing-local-hospital-thousands

Another rural hospital in financial trouble because white people don't have insurance and won't pay their bills.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20140209/NEWS03/140209095/Gorge-concerts-costing-local-hospital-thousands

Another rural hospital in financial trouble because white people don't have insurance and won't pay their bills.

It's been an issue since the unfunded mandate was passed that refused to let ER's turn away patients or hospitals dump patients. AFAIK, they're allowed to use it as a tax writeoff, but I suspect it can become uneconomical in a hurry.

A better solution than Obamacare would have been mandatory catastrophic insurance. It would limit a hospital's loss to $10k or whatnot per.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »

Nah, I be in Californiastan.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

• friends
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
Nah, I be in Californiastan.

Sawdust
sorry  but there is some pretty country out that way away from the cities