Author Topic: Looks Like Dodge Beat Everyone to the 1/2 Ton Diesel Punch  (Read 7697 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Looks Like Dodge Beat Everyone to the 1/2 Ton Diesel Punch
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
I didn't know this new 1500 was already out. 28MPG highway - most fuel efficient 1/2 ton on the market and still has decent horsepower. I might not want to pull a fifth wheel with it, but I think it's definitely great for the more casual pickup driver. It'll be interesting to see how sales do.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/04/ram-1500-ecodiesel-rated-at-28-mpg/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Looks Like Dodge Beat Everyone to the 1/2 Ton Diesel Punch
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
If only it wasn't a Dodge  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
I haven't kept up with deisel prices.  What is the $ efficiency?  

How much extra cost is that engine over the stock engine?  I don't care if it is more efficient if they charge $4K more for that engine.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
Don't all dodges come with a free set of truck nutz?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
I haven't kept up with deisel prices.  What is the $ efficiency?  

How much extra cost is that engine over the stock engine?  I don't care if it is more efficient if they charge $4K more for that engine.

I'm paying $4.20/gal right now (when I bought my diesel, diesel was significantly cheaper than gas), so fuel cost definitely comes into play, and I'm sure the engine is several $K more. Power and longevity are a big plus though. Hopefully this is an impetus for Ford to get that diesel F-150 out the freakin' door.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
Power and longevity are a big plus though.

Yeah, but the pickup needs to last as long as the engine  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »

Yep, I have seen quite a few Cummins I-6 turbodeisels rolling down the road with some sorry collection of Mopar parts hanging on for the ride.

Besides, do you really want to generate chuckles and stares for driving an Italian truck built in Mexico? 

Ram Trucks (formally known as the Ram Truck Division) is a United States-based brand of light to mid-weight pickup trucks established in 2009 as a division of Chrysler Group LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Italian multinational automaker Fiat S.p.A.. It was formerly known as the Dodge Truck Division.
Saltillo Truck Assembly, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico. The plant manufactures the full range of the Ram truck series as well as the DX Chassis cab. The plant has won numerous awards and has been recognized as the Chrysler groups best truck facility in terms of build quality.[6] The Saltillo stamping plant is also attached to the facility.

Does FIAT stand for Fix It Again Tony or Fix It Again Tony?

<insert truck nutz joke here>

OTOH, I think it is great to see a small diesel in a half ton.  If only the EPA would stop kicking diesel technology in the jimmy, the truck would likely get 25% better MPG.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
My last Chevy 1500 was 9 years old when I sold it and bought my Ford F-150 Ecoboost.  The F-150 has reached about 35K miles with no issues to date.  I don't need a work truck and generally don't haul a bunch of stuff or pull trailers so light duty is fine for me.  I don't need any more logevity than that. 

I have a relative who does pipeline welding and has his own welding rig and such.  He buys the deisels, but he is also buying heavier duty trucks.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
I don't need any more logevity than that.  

I've got two Chevy/GMC with 200++ K miles.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:43:54 PM by Tallpine »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »
It's been my experience that diesels get 30-50% better fuel economy than their gasoline-fed brethren (presuming same truck, same load).  Right now gas is 2.85 and diesel is 3.45 here.  The Powerstroke is an $8000-ish option.  At 18 mpg highway that's a minimum 240,000 mile payback figured solely on fuel economy using today's prices. 

If you don't need a diesel for specific reasons, it's a waste of money or an I-just-want-one thing.  However, if you need a truck that'll tow hugemongous loads and keep driveline breakage/service costs down, there's nothing better.  Diesels from any of the big three are pretty much bulletproof these days, and the power they're getting out of them right from the factory is staggering.  And it's reliable power, too, not something you can have for the few miles it takes to roast the tranny, thrash the mains, or grenade the diff.  Impressive as heck, that.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:00:29 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
My 15 year old ford has 170k miles on it and runs great but it's blowing out rust holes like crazy. It's a super duty F250 with a V10 gas chugger and they haven't all been gentle miles, pulled and hauled a lot of stuff.
I would love to shot for a new or different truck but my gosh they price them so dang high and I go for days without needing a truck.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
please to be putting the 3 liter diesel into gladiator
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »

Is that a For Real Going Into Production or just a concept mockup?  (Please be production... Please be production... Please be production...)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 05:30:37 PM »
Is that a For Real Going Into Production or just a concept mockup?  (Please be production... Please be production... Please be production...)

Chrysler isn't that smart...

They keep showing cool concepts but never releasing them. They tease us with them but never release them. I don't know why they do it but it is frustrating.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 07:29:23 PM »
I could see a small diesel with good mileage and at least equivalent power, but I don't want to have to pay thousands for the option.  As a standard option, it would make more sense. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »
Don't all dodges come with a free set of truck nutz?

That sucks.  At least with a Ford, you get a free dog.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »

Brad
it is my understanding that diesel will be in the Cherokee in 2015. Never heard if they were planning to put it in the Wrangler. I wish they would.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 07:32:14 AM »
I've got two Chevy/GMC with 200++ K miles.

The '97 Dodge I bought in '98 has 290K+ on it.  It does need a water pump at the moment though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »

Don't mind me, I'll be over here fapping.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »

At last, I finally understand the Jeep thing. That is noice.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »
The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is get a 3.0 v6 ecodiesel engine , but it a $4,500 option.   

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 10:57:15 PM »

At last, I finally understand the Jeep thing. That is noice.

Too much chrome and shiny stuff for a real Jeep.

Remember folks, never buy the first production run of anything.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
Too much chrome and shiny stuff for a real Jeep.

Remember folks, never buy the first production run of anything.

And probably too expensive to even consider taking off of a paved road  :facepalm:

I saw an M715 in the local "shopper."  V8 conversion, and needs a cab top.  $4500 seems awful high to me for a wood truck.   =(