Author Topic: Looks Like Dodge Beat Everyone to the 1/2 Ton Diesel Punch  (Read 7696 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Looks Like Dodge Beat Everyone to the 1/2 Ton Diesel Punch
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 11:22:32 AM »
The VW Amorok with the 2.0 liter diesel looks interesting

The price? In the Mexican market the 4x2 Amarok with a 140-hp TDI engine starts at the equivalent of $24,600, and tops out at approximately $37,600 for the loaded Highline trim, essentially a version with just about every option. The gasoline version in the Mexican market runs between $29,623 and $30,082. So while the price of entry is reasonable, options do pile up quickly. But those diesel engines certainly look good on paper, and might look even better at the gas pump.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140110/carnews01/140109965
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
The VW Amorok with the 2.0 liter diesel looks interesting
http://googlepixel.com/images/Amorok.jpg

The price? In the Mexican market the 4x2 Amarok with a 140-hp TDI engine starts at the equivalent of $24,600, and tops out at approximately $37,600 for the loaded Highline trim, essentially a version with just about every option. The gasoline version in the Mexican market runs between $29,623 and $30,082. So while the price of entry is reasonable, options do pile up quickly. But those diesel engines certainly look good on paper, and might look even better at the gas pump.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140110/carnews01/140109965

Very Nissan/Suzuki like, I wonder if there is a partnership.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »
And probably too expensive to even consider taking off of a paved road  :facepalm:

I saw an M715 in the local "shopper."  V8 conversion, and needs a cab top.  $4500 seems awful high to me for a wood truck.   =(

Depends on the quality of the conversion. If they just shoe-horned a salvage yard V8 in then not even close. If they did it "right" then they are in the ballpark if the rest of the rig is in decent shape and has a good tires, clean title/street legal. a re-pop canvas top can be had for about $300 form these guys. It's where I bought mine and it is a good quailty piece.

http://www.surplusjeep.com/

I'm not sure I'd turn mine loose for $4500. I didn't for the $4000 offer I got last spring. $5000 would get my attention for certain, as a stating place anyway. I ran into a Viet Nam vet I know that fell in lust with it, he'd driven one in Nam and also in Germany and wanted it pretty bad offerd me $7500 cash on the spot, started countng out bills. My conscience reared it's uggly little head and made me explain what the actual market value of the rig was and that I wasn't interted in selling at that price -yet-. I've only uded it a little so far this year, moving big stacks of wood from th cuttin operation to my drying stacks and we used it pull down a large 26" diam  oak that had died too close to my house. I cut the notch and motioned for him just to take a strain on the chain as I started on the back cut. The driver of my M715 thought I ment for him to go for it. I wasn't even in the full depth of the saw blade when he pulled it down right where I wanted it.

He was walking a little slow, kind of "stiff legged" =D when he got out of the truck.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:13:18 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
Question on gasser vs diesel pricing:

It is that much more costly to produce a diesel-powered auto to justify the above $4500?  Or is it more a function of charging what the market will bear?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »
$4500 seems awful high to me for a wood truck.

I'm not totally sure, but I think they make them out of metal nowadays, Tallpine.

They have been since just after you bought your latest vehicle, I'd wager.   ;)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
I'm not totally sure, but I think they make them out of metal nowadays, Tallpine.

They have been since just after you bought your latest vehicle, I'd wager.   ;)

I had one made out of logs  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »
I had one made out of logs  :P

just the wheels?  or wheels and frame?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 08:34:48 PM »
just the wheels?  or wheels and frame?

It was a "log truck" so according to Gewehr98's logic ...  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:37 PM »
Don't all dodges come with a free set of truck nutz?

Yep.
And the Diesel Dodges come with a free set of Extra Large truck nutz.
7-11 was a part time job.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »
Question on gasser vs diesel pricing:

It is that much more costly to produce a diesel-powered auto to justify the above $4500?  Or is it more a function of charging what the market will bear?

A bit of both of course.

It's pretty much a given, at least in the US, that there will be fewer diesel units sold. That in itself means a higher per-unit cost. Then of course almost nothing is shared with their gasser brethren in the engine and transmission categories, most everything being much heavier. In addition there are things like electric vacuum pumps to run various HVAC items along with a few emissions devices borrowed from gassers. Power brakes mean some form of Hydroboost instead of the cheaper vacuum boosters. R&D for emissions and durability testing will be specific to the diesels and so on.

Plus diesel trucks are popular so they know they can charge a premium and get away with it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
A bit of both of course.

It's pretty much a given, at least in the US, that there will be fewer diesel units sold. That in itself means a higher per-unit cost. Then of course almost nothing is shared with their gasser brethren in the engine and transmission categories, most everything being much heavier. In addition there are things like electric vacuum pumps to run various HVAC items along with a few emissions devices borrowed from gassers. Power brakes mean some form of Hydroboost instead of the cheaper vacuum boosters. R&D for emissions and durability testing will be specific to the diesels and so on.

Plus diesel trucks are popular so they know they can charge a premium and get away with it.

All that, and they need to charge a premium because you won't be trading it in as soon.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:06:22 AM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »

Is there an engine somewhere under all that crap, or do you just wind up the rubber tubing to make it go?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
i see several 100 dollar OEM hoses that change diameter and have molded in bends and swerves

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
do not look behind the curtain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »
If only I was more ambitious, I would do something like this with my C-20:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP4_ZukfL4Y

Did you ever sell it?

I traded off the 1965 GMC with the loader and trailer along with other stuff for an old tractor and a flatbed that I could tow behind a pickup.  Short end of the deal but the other guy had to pay to move all my stuff, since by then it would cost a fortune just to get it legal to drive across the street, let alone across the state.  He did his own horse trading with it and last I heard it was destroyed in a forest fire  =(