Author Topic: Lawmakers Push to Protect Power Grid  (Read 13269 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Lawmakers Push to Protect Power Grid
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »
Pretty sure the latest power bomb tech is graphite fiber. That'd be a mess. Here's a fun thing I confirmed recently, I wondered if transformer oil was still full of PCBs. I'm guessing yep now. Local substation went up in smoke last summer. Construction work on that thing took six months to replace one transformer. Everything got dug up.
'Yep' would be correct.
A friend of mine is an analytical chemist for a waste disposal service- he turns away shipments of old transformers all the time for that reason.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »
In the WSJ article, the point was made that transformers are a custom item and can take months to manufacture. 

The country's roughly 2,000 very large transformers are expensive to build, often costing millions of dollars each, and hard to replace. Each is custom made and weighs up to 500,000 pounds, and "I can only build 10 units a month," said Dennis Blake, general manager of Pennsylvania Transformer in Pittsburgh, one of seven U.S. manufacturers. The utility industry keeps some spares on hand.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 11:25:17 AM »
the power grid will always be vulnerable.  firearms are not the biggest threat, anyone with an acetylene torch could shut a high tension line.

Yeah, the towers of the big transmission line a few miles south of here just sit balanced on a single leg, with four big guylines holding them up.  Some of the towers sit in a seasonal lake bottom.  They have installed pilings around the square of each tower to keep the ice from knocking out a guyline - and a tower.

Cut one of those guylines and the tension of the other three would pull it right over.  I don't imagine that a big set of power lines like that coming down would do much to improve the stability of the entire grid  =|

Miles and miles of power line across miles and miles of mostly empty prairie ....
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
There was a far more detailed article in the WSJ.  The brass was identified as from an AK-47, according to the article.

Well that certainly narrows it down. I'm glad we've got that sorted out.

Move along, now, move along.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
One thing will certainly come from Congress' efforts:  Much higher electric rates.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »
In the WSJ article, the point was made that transformers are a custom item and can take months to manufacture. 

The country's roughly 2,000 very large transformers are expensive to build, often costing millions of dollars each, and hard to replace. Each is custom made and weighs up to 500,000 pounds, and "I can only build 10 units a month," said Dennis Blake, general manager of Pennsylvania Transformer in Pittsburgh, one of seven U.S. manufacturers. The utility industry keeps some spares on hand.

Yep.  Always wondered why that stuff wasn't a bigger target.  I guess most violent bozos don't know what they are. 

Think about all the power outages caused by snakes and critters crawling into switchgear. 

I was watching this Stalone movie about escaping a prison.  He is running around with the aim of disrupting things.   He is passing banks of electrical MCC's or high voltage breakers yet never thinks to at least trip the breakers as he goes by. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 05:36:49 AM »
Yep.  Always wondered why that stuff wasn't a bigger target.  I guess most violent bozos don't know what they are.

Attacking them also generally only causes disruption, not death.  We'll just fix the damage.  They keep it up, sooner or later they'll screw up and we'll catch them.  Terrorists without a body count will be seen as pathetic, not martyrs to the cause.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 06:58:55 AM »
One thing will certainly come from Congress' efforts:  Much higher electric rates.

Quoted for truth.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 08:12:57 AM »
Attacking them also generally only causes disruption, not death.  We'll just fix the damage.  They keep it up, sooner or later they'll screw up and we'll catch them.  Terrorists without a body count will be seen as pathetic, not martyrs to the cause.

A massive power outage during one of the coldest parts of the winter WILL cause death, not just disruption.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
A massive power outage during one of the coldest parts of the winter WILL cause death, not just disruption.

Yes, but it won't have the immediate effect that terrorists look for.  Plus, well, you need to know where to target(there are redundancies), and it means being outside during the coldest parts of winter to effect the plan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 09:42:13 AM »
It really depends on how it is carried out.  With some proper planning, a group could figure out the location of all the main high voltage substations/lines feeding an area or just figure out where that equipment is on several large power plants in an area.  I bet someone could figure out how to target that infrastructure all around a major city.  Or just randomly attack high voltage transformers all over until a shortage occurs or replacements are not available.  Either way, it would cause a law enforcement and security disruption even if it didn't cause immediate deaths. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
and it means being outside during the coldest parts of winter to effect the plan.

Or hottest parts of summer- which is where I think would cause much more disruption.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 10:45:56 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that there really is virtually no terrorist threat (inside the US) - otherwise, they would have hit all these soft targets long long ago.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that there really is virtually no terrorist threat (inside the US) - otherwise, they would have hit all these soft targets long long ago.
???

The trouble with that theory is the next day could be the day they release their follow on to 9/11/01.
There are mosques all over America teaching Jihadi philosophy.
When they graduate their students is anyone's guess.  >:D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:33:37 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
???

The trouble with that theory is the next day could be the day they release their follow on to 9/11/01.
There are synagogues all over America teaching Jihadi philosophy.
When they graduate their students is anyone's guess.  >:D

I am pretty confident in stating that I doubt very much the typical synagogue is teaching Jihadi philosophy. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »

Terrorists aren't that smart, well equipped, or familiar with our systems. And when an American gets crazy enough to want to kill random civilians in his own country he's generally also not logical enough to do the non-flashy but worse stuff we talk about here.

???

There are synagogues all over America teaching Jihadi philosophy.
When they graduate their students is anyone's guess.  >:D

Questions Tommygunn can't answer: what is an Islamic place of worship and instruction called?

My days of not taking your threat assessment seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
Ha ha  Sparked another controversy ..... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »
I am pretty confident in stating that I doubt very much the typical synagogue is teaching Jihadi philosophy. 

Maybe they are trying to mosque their true intentions ...  =|

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 12:49:50 PM »
Maybe they are trying to mosque their true intentions ...  =|

Sharia you can't be serious.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
Ha ha  Sparked another controversy ..... >:D

I'm not sure mocking you counts as a controversy.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 01:38:36 PM »
Dam, what if they go after the electric turbans ?   :O

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 01:48:02 PM »
I'm not sure mocking you counts as a controversy.

I'm sure mocking you wouldn't.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
I'm sure mocking you wouldn't.

:rofl:

You're cute when you're mad.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 01:50:29 PM »
Dam, what if they go after the electric turbans ?   :O

Ooooh! I wish I had come up with that.  Watt's wrong with me?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
:rofl:

You're cute when you're mad.

Oh you're so witty and cuddly....