Author Topic: Finally!! A New York Legal AR-15  (Read 1628 times)

Waitone

• friend
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Finally!! A New York Legal AR-15
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
That funny-looking stock was originally developed to comply with California's gun laws, which is why New York got theirs so quickly.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:22:12 PM »
I saw a comment elsewhere that this gun ought to be available only in pastels.  No black or cammo allowed.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »
Quoted for epic stoopidness.

Long Island Democratic Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel said that following the 1994 federal assault weapons ban — which expired a decade later — gunmakers developed "AB" or "After-Ban" models of military-style weapons.

Schimel disagreed with McLaughlin on the significance of the modifications. She said the banned features, including pistol grips, are designed to increase a weapon's effectiveness, or killing power.

"A pistol grip helps you keep firing on a target," she said. "Each characteristic has a specific battle component."

Because holding a rifle like a pistol is exactly how you make precise shots on a difficult target. ;/ :laugh:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:06:52 AM »
Hey guys, can you help me with my AR build? How do I make sure that all my characteristics have the Specific Battle Component?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »
They have to be sprinkled with Eugene Stoner's ashes.

The only thing a pistol grip ever did for me was to make my right wrist sore from carrying the rifle around all day.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »
I never could figure out how a pistol grip was more comfortable for firing from the hip  ???

<smirk>
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
I kind of like the looks of that stock.  Not sure how effective it is, but it has a real Star Wars look to it...

see the same problem with the war on drugs...every time they ban one of the designer drugs, someone alters the formula and it becomes legal again.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
I never could figure out how a pistol grip was more comfortable for firing from the hip  ???

<smirk>

It's incrementally more comfortable by a few degrees since the natural resting position of the palm is at 90 degrees more or less to the wrist, but the real reason of course is to get a straight-line stock to remove as much leverage from the muzzle as possible for full-auto/burst controlability and reduce climb, and the wrist/grip area would be nowhere near the trigger in such a configuration so the second pistol grip is needed.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
It's incrementally more comfortable by a few degrees since the natural resting position of the palm is at 90 degrees more or less to the wrist, but the real reason of course is to get a straight-line stock to remove as much leverage from the muzzle as possible for full-auto/burst controlability and reduce climb, and the wrist/grip area would be nowhere near the trigger in such a configuration so the second pistol grip is needed.

But if you are literally holding a rifle/shotgun at hip level, then your wrist is going to be cramped 90 degrees to hold a pistol grip.

With a normal stock, your wrist and hand would hang naturally.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »
Hip firing is another example of liberal stupidity.  Far less accurate.  We all know this.  Pistol grips suck at hip firing.  Even PGO shotguns aren't really meant for hip firing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
Quoted for epic stoopidness.

Long Island Democratic Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel said that following the 1994 federal assault weapons ban — which expired a decade later — gunmakers developed "AB" or "After-Ban" models of military-style weapons.

Schimel disagreed with McLaughlin on the significance of the modifications. She said the banned features, including pistol grips, are designed to increase a weapon's effectiveness, or killing power.

"A pistol grip helps you keep firing on a target," she said. "Each characteristic has a specific battle component."

Because holding a rifle like a pistol is exactly how you make precise shots on a difficult target. ;/ :laugh:

Is "After-Ban" a phrase they just made up or is that something that I somehow haven't ever heard before?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »
"Post-ban" was definitely a thing, never heard anyone say "after-ban" though.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »
Uh, guys, I wouldn't argue with a firearms expert like Michelle Schimel. She obviously has her trigger finger right on the pulse of the gun culture.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
Hip firing is another example of liberal stupidity.  Far less accurate.  We all know this.  Pistol grips suck at hip firing.  Even PGO shotguns aren't really meant for hip firing.
Ever see WW2 footage of soldiers with Thompson SMGs?  Many times (not all times) they fire from the hip in Close Quarter work.  Actually, perhaps a bit above the hip. 
The ergos of the Thompson work out such that it is very comfortable to use this weapon in this way.   
Putting the gun to shoulder sticks the rear sight almost into my eye.
The AR-15/M-4 platform, although ostensibly similar in layout as the Thompson is a better all around design and much better ... primarily because of the way the stock is designed.  The way the Thompson's stock attaches to the lower and "droops" is a detriment, IMO. 

You are right though about hip firing being inaccurate -- most of the time I've seen Tommys used this way in WW2 were in streetfighting where distances were pretty close a lot of the time.  Aiming instinctively works pretty well that close.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero